• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Noobie Question Thread (Dumb Questions answered here)

Yeah, that's normal. There's no tooling on Nebulae. But it sounds like the stamp was wiped off, I'd look hard to make sure it says 2008 on there.

If someone wiped the stamp they did a great job because I can't see any evidence of a stamp. I attached 2 pics.

Attachments

• IMG_20110515_110420.jpg
    IMG_20110515_110420.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_20110515_110455.jpg
    IMG_20110515_110455.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 43
How do I determine what a certain round would be rated at my local course?
Check the ssas for your course, and then look at different tournaments and see what the round ratings are. Find someone who shot your score and you'll get a good estimate.

Check the ssas for your course, and then look at different tournaments and see what the round ratings are. Find someone who shot your score and you'll get a good estimate.

The only problem with that is if your course is new and there isn't an ssa and no PDGA events.

I have a dumb question. Why is it bad for fairly new players to throw their high speed discs (bosses,destroyers,katanas,etc) if they are getting good distances out of them. By that, i mean flex shotting them out. not straight money drives. I get the form issues part of the arguement, but are there any other reasons?

What should I use my new Champ Coyote disc for (payout disc)? I currently use a Big Bird Roc and a Mako for mid-duties. On the other side of these, Wizard and TeeBird.

I have a dumb question. Why is it bad for fairly new players to throw their high speed discs (bosses,destroyers,katanas,etc) if they are getting good distances out of them. By that, i mean flex shotting them out. not straight money drives. I get the form issues part of the arguement, but are there any other reasons?

These discs are designed to go a certain cruising speed, and when they don't get up to speed, they act more overstable. New players will compensate (unknowingly) for this overstability by adding OAT into their throw, robbing them of power, and the ability to throw slower, less stable discs.

I guess my argument was form related, huh? let me think...

alright, high speed discs are just not as accurate as lower speed ones. They allow for less margin of error in cruising speed, nose angles, and hyzer/anhyzer angles. Less margin of error = less consistency.

What should I use my new Champ Coyote disc for (payout disc)? I currently use a Big Bird Roc and a Mako for mid-duties. On the other side of these, Wizard and TeeBird.

Do you feel you can't accomplish accomplish a certain shot with your Roc and Mako? If you can't, what shot is that?

EDIT: also, A coyote would probably overlap significantly with a mako

it's bad because someone on the internet sad it was.

If you have the ability to throw a high speed disc properly you have already mastered that skill and should continue doing it.

Do you feel you can't accomplish accomplish a certain shot with your Roc and Mako? If you can't, what shot is that?

EDIT: also, A coyote would probably overlap significantly with a mako

Yep, I'm pretty happy with the Roc and Mako combo. Although I did order an ESP Comet :D which may take the place of said Mako. Thanks Triflusal.

I'll just hang onto it and maybe trade for it later. It's actually a natural beauty. (which is mostly the reason I got it)

VID00200-1.jpg

I agree with Trifusal.

For one, what may seem like 'good distance' to a noob may not actually be that good. It teaches you to strong arm the disc. It teaches you how to throw one kind of shot that does not promote learning how to really control the disc.
For casual players that have no interest in getting better, it's fine. But you will quickly plateau, and most likely have a pretty bad short game as well.

it's bad because someone on the internet sad it was.

If you have the ability to throw a high speed disc properly you have already mastered that skill and should continue doing it.

I don't consider throwing huge flex shots 300-350' to be throwing a disc 'properly' if that's the only shot you can throw with it. That can work on more open courses but once you get in the woods on a tech course that shot does not work.

Last edited:
thank you guys for the info. I was also wondering about something else. I currently throw speed 10's and 11's drivers, (orcs,wraiths,flashes,etc). I can keep these fairly straight on good lines and get good distance with them. With the flash and orc i can hit 320' consistantly on long drives. my distance has increased in the last couple months since i have kept focused on those drivers. My question on that i guess would be when do i make that gradual change, if any, to the higher speed drivers? When i started hitting 400'+ with the current discs im throwing now?

thanks

what are a few different understable drivers? looking to find a good anhyzer disc.

thank you guys for the info. I was also wondering about something else. I currently throw speed 10's and 11's drivers, (orcs,wraiths,flashes,etc). I can keep these fairly straight on good lines and get good distance with them. With the flash and orc i can hit 320' consistantly on long drives. my distance has increased in the last couple months since i have kept focused on those drivers. My question on that i guess would be when do i make that gradual change, if any, to the higher speed drivers? When i started hitting 400'+ with the current discs im throwing now?

thanks

A Wraith is fast and stable enough for most situations. A good addition would be a high speed under stable and high speed overstable. These would not be for most drives but for unique situations. Try a Katana or Vulcan for fierce tailwinds, rollers, or throwing high anhyzers. A Destroyer or Boss works well for strong headwinds, extreme hyzers, or flex shots.

While it's important to have some options you should probably focus on the speed 10, and 11 for your main drives.