• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

North American Places With The Least Disc Golf

Steve West

* Ace Member *
Bronze level trusted reviewer
A question came up about the place in North America that it farthest from a disc golf course.

I don't have an answer to that. I'd guess it is on the northern border of Canada.

What I do have is the U.S. census tracts with the lowest disc golf service levels. This means they are far from the nearest course, and there aren't many courses at somewhat longer distances, either.

The census tract that has the lowest service level in the U.S. is Koniuji, Alaska with a service level of just 0.01. It's 847 miles to the nearest course of any kind, and 1,046 miles to the nearest 18-hole course. (Not counting non-North American courses.)

Outside of Alaska, the U.S. census tract with the lowest service level is Kaumakani, HI at 0.07. It's about 150 miles to the nearest course, and there are only 7 courses within 2,450 miles. (Again, not counting non-North American courses).

In the first 48, the U.S. census tract with the lowest service level is in Marfa, TX. at 0.21. It's 122 miles to the nearest course, and 191 miles to the next one after that.

The average service level for people in the U.S. is 3.30. A service level of 1.00 means the player lives next door to an 18-hole course, and has no other courses available.

As for Canada, I only have populations of the 300 largest cities. Of these, Yellowknife, NT has the lowest service level at 0.04. 617 miles to the nearest course.

Cool. Next time I'm having a bad round I can comfort myself with the knowledge that at least I don't live in Marfa, Texas.

(Although I'm curious....aren't there census tracks south of there which would be even less-served? I once drove through Marfa, down through Presidio, and through Big Bend. Surely Presidio beats Marfa as a bad place for disc golfers to live????)

There is no DG in either NWT or Nunavut territories of Canada's north. Yukon has a sweet course though and lots of access to Alaskan courses.

Nothing I know of in the East Coast besides the new course on PEI

Excluding HI and AK in the US, I would offer up some of the towns in eastern ky. While they may not be as far as some places mileage wise, but driving time is a different story... there are no easy ways to get in and out of the mountains in eastern ky. I would say the closest course would be about 60ish miles away, but may take you 2 or 3 hours to drive that.

I live in Mammoth Lakes and the closest course to drive to is in South Lake Tahoe about 2.5 hours away. These are not playable during the winter which means the closest courses are Dayton and Reno which are about 3 hours away. I live in a dg black hole :(

I live in Mammoth Lakes and the closest course to drive to is in South Lake Tahoe about 2.5 hours away. These are not playable during the winter which means the closest courses are Dayton and Reno which are about 3 hours away. I live in a dg black hole :(

Turtle Rock is more like 2 hours and 10 minutes from Mammoth, 2 hours in the summer when Monitor Pass is open and is playable for most of the winter, especially this winter. Actually, the closest course is Tonopah at 1 hour 45 minutes, but isn't worth the drive.

Turtle Rock is more like 2 hours and 10 minutes from Mammoth, 2 hours in the summer when Monitor Pass is open and is playable for most of the winter, especially this winter. Actually, the closest course is Tonopah at 1 hour 45 minutes, but isn't worth the drive.

I haven't played Turtle Rock yet. Is it playable during the spring?

(Although I'm curious....aren't there census tracks south of there which would be even less-served? I once drove through Marfa, down through Presidio, and through Big Bend. Surely Presidio beats Marfa as a bad place for disc golfers to live????)

I wondered the same thing. The map browse feature on this site shows a course only 90-some miles from Marfa proper. I don't know how much area Marfa census tract covers, but the points south of Marfa certainly look like they would be even more remote.

If I'm reading the census maps correctly, Presidio County has two census tracts. Marfa is in the northern one, Presidio (the city) is in the southern one. If you go the PDGA course directory and punch in zip code 79845, which is for the City of Presidio, the two closest courses that come up are 122 and 191 miles away.

Cool. Next time I'm having a bad round I can comfort myself with the knowledge that at least I don't live in Marfa, Texas.

Good call. Presidio does have a lower service level than Marfa, but there is no census tract center there. At least not on the list I have.

At a resolution of about 10 miles, the lowest service level I've found in the lower 48 is on the northern border of Montana at about -107 longitude. But, the nearest census tract is over 60 miles away, so is anyone there to miss disc golf?

Excluding HI and AK in the US, I would offer up some of the towns in eastern ky. While they may not be as far as some places mileage wise, but driving time is a different story... there are no easy ways to get in and out of the mountains in eastern ky. I would say the closest course would be about 60ish miles away, but may take you 2 or 3 hours to drive that.

It's so cute that you think you have 'mountains' in Kentucky. The highest peaks in Kentucky are about the elevation where our hiking trails start. :)

In a few years, I'll be retiring to Bishop, CA. Talk about a black hole. I played Zephyr Cove last summer and it took just under 4 hours to get there( 'course that included roadwork at the top of Kingsbury Grade). Turtle Rock is a little closer, but we got rained out on our way home, so I haven't played it yet. Gotta hit that one this year. I see the "course" at Mammoth is extinct. Going south to Wrightwood is almost the same driving time. Quite a change from where I live now.:(

I just took a look at my zipcode and found we have 67 courses within 100 miles...also in TX. How does this rank?

I just took a look at my zipcode and found we have 67 courses within 100 miles...also in TX. How does this rank?

143 within 100 mi for me. Most are crappy 9ers though.