• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Not sure how, but I officially broke 300ft yesterday

For those who want some practice field tips, I spent 2 hours at the practice field. Of course 10 minutes of that was laying out the distance and cones.

I warmed up with few putts on the practice basket. Then, I worked on my drives. I threw them twice, then I took a break and worked on some approach shots. I then worked on drives again, adding in my fairway drivers. I then did some more putting, resting my arm, and then I worked on my midrange and fairway shots.

After that, I took a short water break, (That's why you bring a chair or stool) and then I worked on my under-stable turnover shots. I then worked on some hyzer shots, back to putting, and finished up with a couple of more drives , and then went home.

Are you practicing any rollers? Just a thought. I was pleasantly surprised how well a roller has worked for me on a couple specific holes.

And yes, congrats. 300' is so cool because if you're on a football field, it's like scoring that 100 yard touchdown.

I was at the practice field yesterday, and I had set up cones from 0-310ft. I marked off every 10ft past 220 with a long tape measure. My first set of drives were OK, I was hitting about 260-290, which for me is about avg.

I then started again, and I picked up my 161, beat in DX Wraith, and launched it. It seemed like it went pretty far, but I couldn't see the cones past the 200ft mark, because I had my practice basket at the 200ft mark.

I walked up to see where my discs landed. My new SL went 290, and I was happy with that, but I didn't see the Wraith. I thought "were the hell did it land" as I looked around. I looked up and I couldn't believe it. It went 5ft past the 310ft mark. I was shocked and very happy. I was sure I have thrown 300ft in the past on the course, but now I was 100% sure.

I know to most of you this dosen't sound like much, but my drives have always been the weakest part of my game. Those who have seen me play know that I can putt and approach great, but my long game is terrible. I was also very impressed with the SL and I am sure with work and practice I will be sending it over 300ft as well.

I posted this for you guys who are struggling with your drives like I am, and all I can see, is just keep working on it. In vest in some cheap soccer cones and a long tape measure, and this way you can see how you area really doing. I got a 330ft tape measure from Craig's List for $10 , and the soccer cones are 4 for $3 at Walmart.

I am glad you are liking the SL I traded you. I am really getting into the R-Po Boss although I am only trying to throw it on open holes so as to prolong it's life. It is my farthest flying driver and I can get it to go an average of around 320ft.

I knew with the power I have, I would never be able to throw that Boss well, so I am glad you are enjoying it. The SL is really cool. Made a great throw with it today, and tagged a tree, and it still came down nice and easy.

I knew with the power I have, I would never be able to throw that Boss well, so I am glad you are enjoying it. The SL is really cool. Made a great throw with it today, and tagged a tree, and it still came down nice and easy.

SLs are very nice, I had no use for that one as I have a Star SL 171g and am not the biggest fan of the regular Pro Line plastic. It is quite an adjustment throwing the R-Pro Boss as I am the kind of player who loves to just rip their drives with tons of power, but I just relax and do an easy little snap and let the Boss glide it's way down the fairway. A friend of mine also found that if you would still prefer to power it that if you release it at almost a spike hyzer it will flip and fly nice and straight.

Congrats Midnight!

I read your stories about field practice and I have to laugh because I am the same way.

I live in the country and I will pull up into a farm field or the high school football field and start throwing. I cannot tell you how many times people have walked up and asked what I'm doing.

It does pay off. I am up to 325 on a consistent basis. But its because I work at it. The big pay off has been my putting.

Keep at it and it will always pay off.

I found a new practice field near my home. I went on Google Earth, and noticed this open piece of land. Its a home subdivision that never got built for some reason, but the streets are there, with these huge empty lots about the size of two football fields. I drove out there and checked it out and its great. Huge open area and not chance of losing a disc. My old practice field had trees and bushes, and I have lost several discs out there. Plus there was always a chance of hitting a car, but no chance of that here. This place is awesome and only 1 mile from my home. This is where I broke 300ft yesterday. Check it out. This picture is taken from one of the streets of the neighborhood that never got built:

NewpracticefieldinHumbleTX.jpg

Wow that's awesome. I'll get some pictures (when the rain stops) and add them so you can see where my favorite spots are.

I played 3 rounds in the rain today. I needed a fix bad.

Wow that's awesome. I'll get some pictures (when the rain stops) and add them so you can see where my favorite spots are.

I played 3 rounds in the rain today. I needed a fix bad.

I got that picture from google maps. Just go to google street view if you field is near a road. Make it fill the screen, and hit "Shift" and "Print Screen on your key board. Then go to MS Paint and click "Control " "V" and you will have that picture on your computer. Then save the picture and post it.

Holy flatland, Midnight, you hit the jackpot for a practice field! In a couple of months you'll be complaining about how you just can't seem to break the 500' barrier. ;)

Holy flatland, Midnight, you hit the jackpot for a practice field! In a couple of months you'll be complaining about how you just can't seem to break the 500' barrier. ;)

This is the "helicopter" view of the new field I found. Its a disc golfers practice field of dreams. I would love to see a disc golf course go in, but there are no trees, and I don't know who owns the property. It looks like a subdivision was going to go in, and they ran out of money. Either way, I love it. Its a little hot in the middle of the day, because there is zero shade, bit its a great way to rip you disc and not worry about loosing it or someone coming by and taking it.

Those things in the other picture that look like bushes are old baseball backstops that look about 10 years old, and are falling apart. Looks like some kids use to use these fields for baseball practice. Either way, I can't believe this is one mile from my home. These numbers are not exact, but it gives you a rough idea of how big these fields are:

NewpracticefieldinHumbleTX2.jpg

Lollipop Lane.... seriously?

Then again, I shouldn't laugh. I was raised on Garfield St. Named for the long dead President.

Lollipop Lane.... seriously?

Then again, I shouldn't laugh. I was raised on Garfield St. Named for the long dead President.

I have a friend that lives on a street that is the same as his last name and its totally by luck.

My mother in laws brother built 3 or 4 houses on some land left to him by his parents. He put in a street with his last name.

I would like to live on a street called "Batcave Rd" that way, I can tell my wife when its time to go home "Comon on, to the Batcave". I may be silly but that would be cool.

and if you hit an ace on one of those shots would you count it????;):D
Haha, it's funny, cause I have hit an ace on one of those holes. It's the only time I've made a shot from the teebox, and when it happened I thought of it as an ace, but after some candid meditative retrospection I have come to the unfortunate realization that it was, in fact, not an ace. One day though, one day...

I prefer doing this stuff on a course. There's a course near where I work that never gets crowded that has a variety of different shots so it works out pretty well. I'll play some of the holes multiple times with basically every disc in my bag working on different disc golf lines.

Sometimes its nice to have an open area all to yourself where you don't have to worry about someone picking up your discs. Plus this open field is very, very quiet, because there is nothing around. The course is fun, but its nice to have a separate area to practice.

Sometimes its nice to have an open area all to yourself where you don't have to worry about someone picking up your discs. Plus this open field is very, very quiet, because there is nothing around. The course is fun, but its nice to have a separate area to practice.

There is a 400' open hole on the course I play so it's good for distance practice too, at least until I can throw over 400' (gotta stay positive) and a lot of the time I'm the only one out there. When I'm not, it's basically just one or two other groups and I pretty much know everyone that throws at the course so no worries about thievery. Yeah, I'm pretty lucky except for that damn poison ivy I got into the last time I played this course.

There is a 400' open hole on the course I play so it's good for distance practice too, at least until I can throw over 400' (gotta stay positive) and a lot of the time I'm the only one out there. When I'm not, it's basically just one or two other groups and I pretty much know everyone that throws at the course so no worries about thievery. Yeah, I'm pretty lucky except for that damn poison ivy I got into the last time I played this course.

Find an empty field one time, and put your headphones one, and try it out and get back to me and let me know what you think.

Good thread. I hit 300 ft consistent distance about 4 months ago. Last week I hit 330 ft consistent distance, and improving fast. I simply changed my timing to pull through later, and I'm picking up a ton of new power and feeling more snap.

I started practicing in a school yard with 2 back-to-back soccer fields a bit less than one year ago, when I was throwing 200 ft drives. I got up to 250 ft in just a couple months. It has well-worn grass areas, some baseball backstops in adjacent areas, and all of this is visible using Google Earth. Then I use to ruler function on Google Earth to measure distances between different parts of the field, particular the goals (no nets) that I typically aim to throw through.

Oh yeah, and another thing. Now my disc flights are behaving differently. When the disc lands it settles differently and tends to bobble around on the ground a little bit before stopping. This is more spin. I had seen this on throws from pros, and wondered if I'd ever see it with my own throws, and it is definitely cool to witness...

Latest posts