• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Not sure how, but I officially broke 300ft yesterday

I like a field to practice that has plenty of room to mess up so I dont have to worry.

Now, if only my dog had no teeth. then it would be perfect!

Yeah, I'll listen to music via external speakers during a solo round. Sounds like you have a great practice regimen. Keep on keepin on. You still planning on coming to Austin in October?

I will have to see how the money looks. I really want to go, but my wife just got out of the hospital and has not returned to work, so we will have to see.

I was at the practice field yesterday, and I had set up cones from 0-310ft. I marked off every 10ft past 220 with a long tape measure. My first set of drives were OK, I was hitting about 260-290, which for me is about avg.

I then started again, and I picked up my 161, beat in DX Wraith, and launched it. It seemed like it went pretty far, but I couldn't see the cones past the 200ft mark, because I had my practice basket at the 200ft mark.

I walked up to see where my discs landed. My new SL went 290, and I was happy with that, but I didn't see the Wraith. I thought "were the hell did it land" as I looked around. I looked up and I couldn't believe it. It went 5ft past the 310ft mark. I was shocked and very happy. I was sure I have thrown 300ft in the past on the course, but now I was 100% sure.

I know to most of you this dosen't sound like much, but my drives have always been the weakest part of my game. Those who have seen me play know that I can putt and approach great, but my long game is terrible. I was also very impressed with the SL and I am sure with work and practice I will be sending it over 300ft as well.

I posted this for you guys who are struggling with your drives like I am, and all I can see, is just keep working on it. In vest in some cheap soccer cones and a long tape measure, and this way you can see how you area really doing. I got a 330ft tape measure from Craig's List for $10 , and the soccer cones are 4 for $3 at Walmart.

Just so you know I have been with you many of times where you have broken 300 hundred you just don't realize it. In fact next time you use Google Earth go to hole one and measure out your farthest drive I know for a fact you were close to 330 the last time we played there.

I like a field to practice that has plenty of room to mess up so I dont have to worry.

Now, if only my dog had no teeth. then it would be perfect!

Put hot sauce on a disc and throw it, it only took once to train my dog not to touch discs, and I've seen it work for a few others.

We spent the weekend trying to reach the water line of the lake behind my inlaws house in Brady. Our guess was about a 50ft drop in elevation down to the water at right about 475' We were very close, within feet, but just couldn't quite make in. Next time I will reach the water. It's good to have goals. I think the field behind my house is about to see alot more of me.

Now all you have to do is throw that far at Spring Valley this weekend on hole 1 twice and 3 that puppy.

Ask Tiger Woods or any other pro golfer if they don't find the driving range helpful to their game. And i would say every pro Disc Golfer would agree.
Yeah, then ask them how much time they spent on the driving range when they were learning to play and see what they say.

I will have to see how the money looks. I really want to go, but my wife just got out of the hospital and has not returned to work, so we will have to see.

I hope everything is OK with your wife.

Let me know if you might be able to make it. It looks like I'm gunna be out of town a couple of the weekends in October, but would love to show you around if you can make it and the timing works out. :)

Yeah, then ask them how much time they spent on the driving range when they were learning to play and see what they say.

The only reason I am so much on practice is for the newbies. I see so many guys that just grab a disc and throw it on the course and have no idea how that disc is going to fly. The practice field is the place to see what discs do what in a controlled setting. If you are on a course with trees, or not really in an open area, and just throwing, you really can't see that discs full potential. Plus , you might be more worried about shooting the hole than watching and analyzing the disc. That is all I am saying. I learn alot from playing, but I just think the practice field is a more controlled environment , and your not thinking about getting near the basket, your watching and learning the flight patterns of your discs.

I don't think you quite understand. At the course, you are practicing for just that course. At the field, I can try different shots with my practice basket. I work on overstable, understable, approach shots, mids, things like that. Plus, I have my main bag, my back up bag, and my cooler sitting right there, so I have 40 discs with me, and I can see which ones are good for my bag, and I can throw over and over to see how two discs might be the same or different. If two discs are the same, I know that one is back up and one is the main.

If you could haul 40+ discs around the course and work on as many shots as I can, I would say they are the same, but you are not the same. You are working on shots for that course. I am working on shots for every course. So even though you believe that practice on the course is good, and it is , you still are limited on how much you can do. With my practice basket, my measuring tape, my cooler and over 40 discs, and a field that is over 500ft long, and over 225ft wide, and have more I can do, and more I can practice with. And, I never have to stop to let someone play through.

No, I understand. I just don't agree. First off, I don't even have 40 discs. Basically, I just keep what I carry and either sell or give away the others. I don't really see the point in practicing with discs I'm not going to throw during a round. When I buy a new disc it goes in my bag and I will practice with it (2nd throws..stuff like that) until I decide whether or not it deserves a permanent place in my bag.

Also, you say you can try all different kinds of shots, and I agree with this, except for the fact that you can get false-positive results. Since you don't actually have any obstacles in your way, your shots may look super sweet, but you don't actually know if it would have been a good shot on a course or not. Having to work around obstacles is a huge part of disc golf and it's definitely something worth practicing. You may be able to visualize a tree in your path and say, "ok, I'm going to work on anny's around this tree," but you'll never know if you made it around that tree without the tree actually being there.

Now, field practice is definitely good to work on your form and max distance, but I don't feel that you can improve on accuracy anywhere close to the degree that you can on an actual course. Like I said, the course I practice on has an open 400' hole so that's where I practice my max distance game. It also has a 400' right turning shot with obstacles everywhere except directly down the middle and on the far left so I can practice my distance anny's and distance straight-line shots. If I don't hit the line just right I'll know because I'll be hitting a tree. Then there's the tunnel hole where I practice my straight low shots, and I will definitely know if I don't get it right because the disc will be pinballing with the wrong trajectory. If I were practicing this shot in the field I may think I was doing good, but I would never actually know for sure since there is nothing that would need to be avoided. Having to aim straight and avoid trunks and limbs in a tree-lined alley is much more telling than having to aim straight and avoid nothing.

I'm glad that your field practice is paying dividends, but I full-heartedly disagree with your assessment of having a wider variety of shots that you can work on. No matter how many different types of shots you practice there's no getting around the fact that it's still in an open field with no obstacles and no definitive way to determine if your shot was accurate or not. Throwing in a field and landing near your practice basket may be accurate in that instance, but can you truly say it would have been accurate on the course?

I hope everything is OK with your wife.

Let me know if you might be able to make it. It looks like I'm gunna be out of town a couple of the weekends in October, but would love to show you around if you can make it and the timing works out. :)

Same here. If you're gonna make it down to Austin hit me up via PM and maybe we could get a lil DGCR game going, although Frizzle is the only one I've met from Austin so far. I'm sure we could discuss and work out our differences in practice regimes during a round or two. ;)

Put hot sauce on a disc and throw it, it only took once to train my dog not to touch discs, and I've seen it work for a few others.

I want him to touch it to bring it back to me, I just dont want him to chew on it. lol

No, I understand. I just don't agree. First off, I don't even have 40 discs. Basically, I just keep what I carry and either sell or give away the others. I don't really see the point in practicing with discs I'm not going to throw during a round. When I buy a new disc it goes in my bag and I will practice with it (2nd throws..stuff like that) until I decide whether or not it deserves a permanent place in my bag.

Also, you say you can try all different kinds of shots, and I agree with this, except for the fact that you can get false-positive results. Since you don't actually have any obstacles in your way, your shots may look super sweet, but you don't actually know if it would have been a good shot on a course or not. Having to work around obstacles is a huge part of disc golf and it's definitely something worth practicing. You may be able to visualize a tree in your path and say, "ok, I'm going to work on anny's around this tree," but you'll never know if you made it around that tree without the tree actually being there.

Now, field practice is definitely good to work on your form and max distance, but I don't feel that you can improve on accuracy anywhere close to the degree that you can on an actual course. Like I said, the course I practice on has an open 400' hole so that's where I practice my max distance game. It also has a 400' right turning shot with obstacles everywhere except directly down the middle and on the far left so I can practice my distance anny's and distance straight-line shots. If I don't hit the line just right I'll know because I'll be hitting a tree. Then there's the tunnel hole where I practice my straight low shots, and I will definitely know if I don't get it right because the disc will be pinballing with the wrong trajectory. If I were practicing this shot in the field I may think I was doing good, but I would never actually know for sure since there is nothing that would need to be avoided. Having to aim straight and avoid trunks and limbs in a tree-lined alley is much more telling than having to aim straight and avoid nothing.

I'm glad that your field practice is paying dividends, but I full-heartedly disagree with your assessment of having a wider variety of shots that you can work on. No matter how many different types of shots you practice there's no getting around the fact that it's still in an open field with no obstacles and no definitive way to determine if your shot was accurate or not. Throwing in a field and landing near your practice basket may be accurate in that instance, but can you truly say it would have been accurate on the course?

I agree about learning real world shots, honestly I can go to a field and throw dead straight 320 foot drives all day but you get me on a course and that goes to the crapper. The only way to know you can shoot straight is to do it at a course. Which by the way Biker you have one of the best courses in the state for practicing straight shots (River Grove) 15 minutes from you. I dont think its a coincidence that your good at playing tight holes. Now dont get me wrong there is a place for practicing in a field but course work in my opinion is far more important.

I'm gonna have to disagree here. Drives for me has always been the strongest part of my game. My approach shots are what I need to work on most for sure
i feel you on that, its funny how you can come within a few feet of where you want it from 300ft+ , but end up 15-20ft from the basket on a 100ft approach. Or you throw 350ft right on line and then miss an easy putt.

I siked myself out putting big time yesterday and my approach shots werent making it any easier. ive got know problem throwing hard from the tee , but i tend to pussyfoot upclose when im not feeling confident.

And yesterday i broke 330 with my first ever go for it off the tee Forehand drive, it suprised the hell out of me . I put so much snap i hyzer flipped my 175 valk 15ft passed the basket and 2ft from the going in the drink. Of course the next time around i fh hyzerd myself right to a bogey in the woods, so i went back to a bh hf .

i feel you on that, its funny how you can come within a few feet of where you want it from 300ft+ , but end up 15-20ft from the basket on a 100ft approach. Or you throw 350ft right on line and then miss an easy putt.

I siked myself out putting big time yesterday and my approach shots werent making it any easier. ive got know problem throwing hard from the tee , but i tend to pussyfoot upclose when im not feeling confident.

And yesterday i broke 330 with my first ever go for it off the tee Forehand drive, it suprised the hell out of me . I put so much snap i hyzer flipped my 175 valk 15ft passed the basket and 2ft from the going in the drink. Of course the next time around i fh hyzerd myself right to a bogey in the woods, so i went back to a bh hf .

I thought I was the only one on the putt and approach game.

I have been driving real well, and my regular DG buddy has said several times as of late he wishes he could drive like me, although I still am far from the bombers on here, but he throws probably just under 200', but I like to point out to him how he is scoring better, most of the time.

The guy cant throw real well but man, he makes some long puts and if he doesnt he is close enough that he gets it on the next shot for sure. If I go for the long shots, I end up out of my crappy putt range on the other side of the basket. Putting, I ma just stupid on. I throw and miss; then usually will pick up my lie and toss it and it goes right in. Its all a head thing I am sure.

sounds like your buddy would be a good doubles partner for me. I dont care if they cant throw over 150-200 ft as long as they are good at that length and they can putt good.

I agree about learning real world shots, honestly I can go to a field and throw dead straight 320 foot drives all day but you get me on a course and that goes to the crapper. The only way to know you can shoot straight is to do it at a course. Which by the way Biker you have one of the best courses in the state for practicing straight shots (River Grove) 15 minutes from you. I dont think its a coincidence that your good at playing tight holes. Now dont get me wrong there is a place for practicing in a field but course work in my opinion is far more important.

That is one reason I am good at tight courses is from playing River Grove so many times. When I am at any course and there is a tight shot, I compare it to a hole at Kingwood in my head and think about how I would make that shot there, and then translate it to the course I am on.

sounds like your buddy would be a good doubles partner for me. I dont care if they cant throw over 150-200 ft as long as they are good at that length and they can putt good.

Thats what I always tell him. Not only is he good at the putt and approach; he also is consistantly straight and controlled. Good insurance for you to really go for it.

So have you practiced any rollers? With that flat, "smoothish" looking, ground you ought to be able to roll for a country mile!

Latest posts