• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] Obsidian Discs, new disc golf company

Did some testing with these up against Prem Jokeri and Champ Rhyno and both Splinters are very overstable, the H9 is however workable and pretty close to the Jokeri. The G5 on the other hand is a beast, very power hungry or you will see an early and violent fade. Powered up it will fly but not very far. Surely a disc of its own, most overstable putter I have ever thrown, by far. The Prem Jokeri used to have those bragging rights but this thing is in a whole other category.

The grip on the G5 is superb, the first disc I did not even bother to dry with a towel because it was just as good wet. Flat as a pancake. Rim is pretty sturdy but the flightplate is gummy, a little too much for me at least when putting. Which will be difficult from any futher out because of the fade anyway. One solid tree hit did create a big dent in the flightplate though, one from which it never fully recovered. Did not affect flight noticeably though. H9 has a slight dome and the plastic is also very nice, very Gstarry, maybe a little less grippy though IMO. Both will fight out of an anny, the G5 in no time.

Hard to see any use for the G5 in the bag because of the massive and sudden fade, maybe for forehand flicks that you dont want gliding out too far? The H9 is very nice though, but I dont know if it offers anything the Prem Jokeri does not. Will continue testing to see.

actually, a true complement to my h1 would be wonderful. i certainly see a point for something i can only throw so far. is it more OS than a zone?

Havent thrown a zone, but this thing is so overstable that it is hard to imagine anything more OS. Chose not to bag it afterall after last weekends rounds. Probably more time would help to dial it in better, but aint nobody got time for that, when my setup is pretty well rounded already with the Prem Jokeri.

More overstable than a pig? Please no more disc companies the market is getting saturated. Unless a giant company gets involved in the sport like nike or something. How many company's need to make the same types of molds. Maybe something new and crazy would be cool but how much more can you really do to a disc that hasn't been done. I've bought and tried out a lot of these new discs. Nothing has blown me away. Prodigy was cool and exciting when it first came out but most of it has made its way out of my bag except a D2 and an M4. MVP has the overmold which is new and different. A stable to overstable putter isn't gonna take my aviar out of my bag. Sorry for ranting just tired of these new companies

More overstable than a pig? Please no more disc companies the market is getting saturated. Unless a giant company gets involved in the sport like nike or something. How many company's need to make the same types of molds. Maybe something new and crazy would be cool but how much more can you really do to a disc that hasn't been done. I've bought and tried out a lot of these new discs. Nothing has blown me away. Prodigy was cool and exciting when it first came out but most of it has made its way out of my bag except a D2 and an M4. MVP has the overmold which is new and different. A stable to overstable putter isn't gonna take my aviar out of my bag. Sorry for ranting just tired of these new companies

Well this was a lame post. Why you play disc golf? The scene is saturated with new players who are not as good as the big names. Why even try when there's McBeth, Doss nad Wysocki? Can you do something the big guys can't? Just tired of these noobs trying to get good.

See what I did there?

Bring on the competition! I want the disc manufacturers to fight for my pleasure. Also, I can't help but salivate a little when told there is a putter more over stable than any other... I don't know why that is, it just is. Going back to the influx of disc manufacturers as of late: I say the more the better. Do you think Innova would really bother to continue introducing new molds and plastics at such a high rate if their only competition was still just Discraft? We might never have seen G Star if it wasn't for Prodigy, Trilogy, Legacy and/or what have you. Having said all this, SOMEbodies not going to make it in this market.
It just goes to reason that one of the companies will fold due to 'over saturation'. I just don't know which, maybe none, maybe Nike, Walmart or the like will buy up all of the smaller brands and consolidate them into one big disc empire. I make speculation Fun!

Well this was a lame post. Why you play disc golf? The scene is saturated with new players who are not as good as the big names. Why even try when there's McBeth, Doss nad Wysocki? Can you do something the big guys can't? Just tired of these noobs trying to get good.

See what I did there?

I play disc golf for fun and a stress reliever. Trying to play disc golf as a career would be dumb. Just like trying to start a new disc company is dumb and bad desicison. I'm not trying to be the best cause that would be dumb. I've been playing for ten years don't think I'm gonna get struck by lightening and become better than Paul all of sudden.

See what I did there?

I play disc golf for fun and a stress reliever. Trying to play disc golf as a career would be dumb. Just like trying to start a new disc company is dumb and bad desicison. I'm not trying to be the best cause that would be dumb. I've been playing for ten years don't think I'm gonna get struck by lightening and become better than Paul all of sudden.

he in fact did not see what you did there

The situation might be a little different over the pond, but here in Finland this company created quite a buzz and the first sales went apparently very well. Would be hard pressed to say "stupid to start a new disc company" I am sure the guy are happy doing something related to their hobby and making a few bucks at it - I know I would.

Are these available to order anywhere in the states? I'm on an eternal quest for the perfect overstable putter.