• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] Obsidian Discs, new disc golf company

I will bite.... that stamp looks badass.... and the flat black is really sexy looking. Anybody get one of these yet?

Splinters3.jpg

Whenever I get some I'll definitely post pictures! I'm really curious to compare them against the Envy, the description sounds similar.

Straight with reliable fade, it really fought out of the anny. Kind of looks like a Rhyno but with more glide??

I like the tommy at the end of the video, he's like let me throw this in.....boom!!

I asked a comparison of Splinter to Jokeri and Envy in Finnish forum and one two of the manufacturers told that hard Splinter reminds of brand new Premium Jokeri, and soft one is even more beefier. Neither one had thrown Envy but that pretty much answers it, it's going to be a quite beefy putter. Splinters should be available next week from their website, going to grap one hard and one soft for testing.

Today I got my two Splinters, tossed them few times on a field and on the park.

DISCLAIMER: I'm quite average skilled disc golf enthusiastic (PDGA rating bit over 800), I throw Pure and Envy (currently my only driving putters) around 70m and max out with drivers around 100 meters. My throw has been quite a mess recently and when I threw Splinters today I didn't have any other discs with me as a comparison.

The pearly pink premium plastic H9 Splinter is very grippy, something like Prodigy's 400G but maybe even grippier. It is somewhat domey, but only from the middle, again reminding some Prodigy's drivers. Profile reminds me of Envy, but is it clearly higher (PLH is about 1mm higher than in Envy). Rim might be bit thicker also but it's hard to tell because of the overmold of Envy. It is rated 3 3 0 2 by Obsidian Discs like Envy.

Black very soft G9 has a small puddle top and it feels like a bike's inner tube, so very rubbery feel. It is grippy and somewhat tacky. The feel reminds me of soft Harp, although the rim shape is completely different. After I threw the disc in sand box I couldn't get the sand off from the disc without a towel. It had some flashing on PLH but after rubbing the disc in sand I got most of it away. It is rated 3 2 0 3 by Obsidian Discs.

The first throws flew around 50 meters with big fade. H9 went somewhat farther but I didn't notice big difference in distance, maybe 5 meters or so. Both felt definitely beefier than Envy, Gstar Rhyno or Proto PA1 which I have used as a moderately stable putter. After few more throws in field I still felt that I couldn't really get the feel for either discs due their stability, but after I went to park and tried some short approaches with these, they started to feel more controllable. I don't use short flattening anhyzer approaches much but I could see that this could steal a place from Rhyno or similar for those kind of shots. H9 was slightly less stable than G5 and I parked few imaginary holes with it with ease, and it flew suprisingly far few times. G5 felt excellent in hand, and I also tried some putting with it. It is bit too soft from the middle for my taste as a putting putter, but could be nice winter time replacement for those who like to putt with Envy, if the overstability isn't a problem.

When writing this I started to think what a brand new Proton Envy felt when I replaced my lost disc few months ago. Now that I think of it, it too felt super stable after throwing slightly beat Envy for months. After few weeks though I was again very comfortable with it, so I'm sure if I give time for Splinters they lose the new feel and one of these could take a place in my bag, although right now I wouldn't switch these for Envy. If G5 does not lose any of it's stability, it could take a currently unoccupied slot of clearly overstable putter in my bag for short drives and headwind.

Overall very nice discs, the plastics are very promising, and I look forward a neutral/understable putter from Obsidian. I wouldn't recommend these discs to beginners though as these are quite overstable at least as new. It is interesting to see how the plastics will age and will the discs lose much of their initial stability.

Now that I think of it, Gstar might be the best comparison for H9 plastic. Quite flexy and grippy, but still durable.

Did some testing with these up against Prem Jokeri and Champ Rhyno and both Splinters are very overstable, the H9 is however workable and pretty close to the Jokeri. The G5 on the other hand is a beast, very power hungry or you will see an early and violent fade. Powered up it will fly but not very far. Surely a disc of its own, most overstable putter I have ever thrown, by far. The Prem Jokeri used to have those bragging rights but this thing is in a whole other category.

The grip on the G5 is superb, the first disc I did not even bother to dry with a towel because it was just as good wet. Flat as a pancake. Rim is pretty sturdy but the flightplate is gummy, a little too much for me at least when putting. Which will be difficult from any futher out because of the fade anyway. One solid tree hit did create a big dent in the flightplate though, one from which it never fully recovered. Did not affect flight noticeably though. H9 has a slight dome and the plastic is also very nice, very Gstarry, maybe a little less grippy though IMO. Both will fight out of an anny, the G5 in no time.

Hard to see any use for the G5 in the bag because of the massive and sudden fade, maybe for forehand flicks that you dont want gliding out too far? The H9 is very nice though, but I dont know if it offers anything the Prem Jokeri does not. Will continue testing to see.