• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] Octane

Definitely excited for the release of this disc and the more understable one. If this is like a Katana and the other is like a DD Freedom, I am definitely in. I won't have the arm to thow the more OS ones.

The Octane disc from MVP Disc Sports was PDGA Approved on 5-13-2016.

"The MVP Octane is a stable-understable distance driver from the new high speed 23mm class. Octane falls in the general stability lineage of Switch, Amp, Inertia, and Wave, with a slow-turning profile that holds long and straight until its fade finish. Average throwers should see straight flights with a bit of shallow turn, while power throwers will be able to hyzerflip for max distance and tailwind lines.

The 23mm class cores are deeper than typical MVP drivers to afford more glide for distance, and feature a nice dome not typically seen in MVP drivers. From its shape to its weight distribution, the 23mm class is built for distance.

The 23mm class features four models -- Energy, Nitro, Octane, and Catalyst, with their stability spectrum more evenly spaced than the 21.5mm class. In other words, Nitro and Octane will not have as great of a divide in stability as is seen between the Photon and Wave. Octane will debut in grippy Neutron plastic." - by MVP Disc Sports

mvp_octane.jpg

News flash: I don't have the arm for this.

That said, it feels nice in the hand and has the most dome I've seen to date in any MVP disc. Top even pops a little. I'm gonna try and get it into the hands of someone who can handle it a little better than me.

News flash: I don't have the arm for this.

That said, it feels nice in the hand and has the most dome I've seen to date in any MVP disc. Top even pops a little. I'm gonna try and get it into the hands of someone who can handle it a little better than me.
I'll take it off your hands for ya...

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Ive seen some dome on MVPs unlike b4 but i hope they can keep it consistent. Those domey volts have me a bit worried.

Yea, sitting here comparing it to the Wave, it's a bigger feel, if that makes sense. I don't know what onemile means by pop, but maybe mine is a little less domey than his?

I'm pretty interested in this. I have 3 Waves I think, and couldn't get quite comfortable enough with any of them to bag. I don't know if the Nitro will do much for me that the Photon doesn't, but I'll be trying it anyway.

But I have a feeling the Octane could wind up being my all-out D disc.

A slightly more overstable wave that goes farther and has more glide is what I'm hoping the Octane is for my power level (330 average).

I already carry 2 waves. A 168 that I hyzerflip and a 175 that is my straightest disc on a slight hyzer. Thrown flat I'll get a good amount of high speed turn and it's getting to the point where it's not really coming back too much anymore.

I'm glad the Octane is a little more stable than the wave. Hopefully that means the Catalyst will be Katana like but not super flippy like the Orbital.

I'll be picking up one on the day of release.

So is this new distance driver like a '12 speed' innova equivalent?

He lives. And he's riding a pegasus! Welcome back to the fray.

I'd say this is a speed 13 on the Innova scale. But speed means nothing anyway. It' just a rough idea.

To bfowler, I think you'll like the Octane. You throw a bit farther than me, and it should give you a little more of a straight flight. Longer, touch more OS Wave is probably a good description.

So is this new distance driver like a '12 speed' innova equivalent?

I think that sort of depends. Innova's 12 and 13 speed discs are all over the place in terms of rim width, at least if you believe the pdga specs (which should be taken with a grain of salt for sure). Theoretically, 12 speed should be a 2.2 cm rim width, so closer to the photon class, but in practice that hasn't often been the case.

He lives. And he's riding a pegasus! Welcome back to the fray.

I'd say this is a speed 13 on the Innova scale. But speed means nothing anyway. It' just a rough idea.

To bfowler, I think you'll like the Octane. You throw a bit farther than me, and it should give you a little more of a straight flight. Longer, touch more OS Wave is probably a good description.

Thanks.

Yea I've been fishing a lot more than disc golf lately :D I swing by every few weeks and read up on new stuff, wow has MVP made a lot of new products since i last saw.. a black hole basket, backpack bag, tons of new discs, they are all in.. good to see finally.

I added a Resistor back to the bag but still mostly Legacy and Innova now. I will probably pick up one of the new warp speed MVP discs though, the Legacy Cannon isn't very consistent :p