• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Off axis torque

sillybizz

Course bagger and Bjork super fan
Diamond level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
What is it exactly and how do you fix it?

It's flutter or wobble. The disc not spinning flat. You either do it or not. A good way to correct it is to try to pull the disc faster and flatter so it spins more and starts out on line from where you started your back swing, after you have down a slower no wobble flight. Steadily increase speed. Forehand is the best way to see this because you don't swing it back far. Keep the disc on line and plane to where you want to release it. People start too high and have to compensate bringing it back and the disc is fighting the release plane, so it wobbles for a while losing a lot of distance. Throwing on a line drive will help correct this too. don't let the disc get too high, also fighting the release plane.

So basically it's just wobble? Why not just call it wobble instead of some obscure acronym?

OAT makes it sound like you ate too many Wheaties for breakfast and got caught short...

I already have a fast motion, I'm not sure how much faster I could go without losing control of the disc.

It's not really about being faster, it's about throwing the disc in a fluid motion, keeping it on the same plane the entire time.

Faster helps some people keep it on that plane.

People have told me that I am the only person they have seen that can make the disc wobble so much at the beginning of the flight and still hold the line out to 320 feet.

Does your disc wobble?

Yes it does.

Sounds like the same problems I've been having. Are you "turning" or "flipping" a lot of discs over as well? I had to try out some more overstable discs & I think it helps, but some folks are gonna tell ya that's just masking the problem. Looks like we've been playing a similar amount of time as well... do you happen to throw RHFH?

Last edited:
People have told me that I am the only person they have seen that can make the disc wobble so much at the beginning of the flight and still hold the line out to 320 feet.

Well, if it goes where you want it to, and you get reasonable distance, who cares if it wobbles? I couldn't care less if my disc does somersaults as long as it gets to where I want it...

Well, if it goes where you want it to, and you get reasonable distance, who cares if it wobbles? I couldn't care less if my disc does somersaults as long as it gets to where I want it...

I've worked so hard for a number of years just to get over 300 feet and I feel like if I could straighten my throws and get the wobble out I could get up to 100 more feet of distance and more consistency.

I've worked so hard for a number of years just to get over 300 feet and I feel like if I could straighten my throws and get the wobble out I could get up to 100 more feet of distance and more consistency.

Fair 'nough, then. :)

So Tim, it has to do with your off arm? I don't understand how you keep a level plain if you're throwing with hyzer. :wall:

Is that guy throwing LHBH? lol

I don't think the off arm has much to do with it, though I tend to see a lot of the better pros having that symmetry.

As for throwing with hyzer, it's not that you want to keep your shoulders level with the ground, you want to keep them in the same orientation as your arm, and likewise, at release, the disc should be at the same angle as your arm and shoulders. In that pic, the dude is assumedly throwing a hyzer, and if we were to see his disc, it'd be at the same angle as his arm and shoulders.

And yeah, you're right about being able to add distance if you can get rid of the wobble. I'd say that the fact you're able to get the distance and line you have now with the wobble means that you've learned to compensate for it. Probably to eliminate the wobble, you'll need to take a few steps backward and build up your technique again from there.

I haven't watched your drive in detail though, Tom. I've seen some wobble, but it might not be OAT related...I'm also not exactly "qualified" to tell people how to throw well. I just know some of the theory and how things should be happening. ;)

I'll hit the field and try some things next week. Thanks for the help Tim. Oh and I seem to have a lot of wobble when throwing putters, I think that's why I switched to the turbo putt, that and having a baseball/football background it was natural. It's weird though I can't throw a tommy to save my freaking life!

I'll hit the field and try some things next week. Thanks for the help Tim. Oh and I seem to have a lot of wobble when throwing putters, I think that's why I switched to the turbo putt, that and having a baseball/football background it was natural. It's weird though I can't throw a tommy to save my freaking life!

Oh yeah, one exercise I know for determining if you've got the OATs, throw slower, less stable discs on different lines and try to not have them wobble. Throwing high speed stuff covers up OAT pretty well...throw it off axis and it'll correct itself and get back on line more or less. Do that with a putter though, and that thing will wobble off to oblivion. The first time I tried that exercise, it was humbling.