• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Off the tee with KC pro Aviars

DillonN

What do you think? Is it a good idea to throw KC pro Aviars for short drives. Or would it just be safer, and more consistent, to go with a Roc?

I threw KCs off the tee for years. I haven't thrown any new runs, but they get my seal of approval.

how far are we talking? i throw a challenger off the tee for 250 and under.....it's pretty similar in flight characteristics to the KC Pro Aviar.....i say give it a whirl.....what could it hurt?

The more consistent part would depend on your skill, meaning that is hard for us to know, you have to do the research for yourself. But if you are good at throwing your aviars then I would advise that because it will be more accurate. If you are not then learn how it's a very valuable skill. It would be better if you said what distances you had in mind.
Normally I'll throw a putter on holes 300' and less but will not think twice about throwing it on holes out to 375 either if it's straight. But usually I like to use a mid on holes longer than 300 just because I don't have to work as hard.

erb said:
The more consistent part would depend on your skill, meaning that is hard for us to know, you have to do the research for yourself. But if you are good at throwing your aviars then I would advise that because it will be more accurate. If you are not then learn how it's a very valuable skill. It would be better if you said what distances you had in mind.
Normally I'll throw a putter on holes 300' and less but will not think twice about throwing it on holes out to 375 either if it's straight. But usually I like to use a mid on holes longer than 300 just because I don't have to work as hard.

internet distance killing a discussion again...i throw putters on holes up to 375 as well, when they have a 60' downhill slope between me and the basket

jnecessary said:
erb said:

internet distance killing a discussion again...i throw putters on holes up to 375 as well, when they have a 60' downhill slope between me and the basket

haha, I didn't say I was very accurate at that distance but it's fun to mess around.

erb said:
jnecessary said:
erb said:

haha, I didn't say I was very accurate at that distance but it's fun to mess around.
unless you throw your drivers 500+ with ease its gonna be pretty tough to get a putter out to 375 on flat ground

Jesse B 707 said:
erb said:
jnecessary said:
erb said:

unless you throw your drivers 500+ with ease its gonna be pretty tough to get a putter out to 375 on flat ground

Yes, it is tough, that's why I prefer a mid over 300. And like I said before it's just spray and no accuracy, where I can get accuracy with a mid.
But on a hole where it's is GPS'ed to 300' but the path the disc will fly is not a straight line, I still will usually use a putter. Unless it's some absurd route.

And OP the key to getting a putter good D is to get some some air under it. So your kind of limited on when you can throw a putter off the tee by the ceiling on the hole. Hope that helps some.

SkaBob said:
Throw the slowest disc you can get to the pin.

But if you're short, you're short... Its good to play a shot that doesn't just get to the pin, but through it.

Its easy to get caught up in pushing your mids and putters out as far as you can, but sometimes you just end up shorting stuff due to a slight misjudgement.

Blink said:
SkaBob said:
Throw the slowest disc you can get to the pin.

But if you're short, you're short... Its good to play a shot that doesn't just get to the pin, but through it.

Its easy to get caught up in pushing your mids and putters out as far as you can, but sometimes you just end up shorting stuff due to a slight misjudgement.

It's just as easy to be 50 feet past the pin, throwing a midrange on a 260 foot hole...

Shooting through the pin is for ace runs. Shooting to the pin is for overall round score.

That's what I used to think til I asked around with different pros about their strategies for different shots and holes(playing the margin of error). Going for the ace is something that can be done while still getting the birdie, but its more about not being short for me. When I'm short on a hole I can reach, and I don't birdie, it feels like putting too low. Never had a chance.