• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] One disc that every player should try at least once.

I wonder if hand size has anything to do with the bead vs no bead thing. It makes no difference at all to me, even for forehands.

I can use a Comet and I have small hands forehand is a bit odd but then again small hands and I stink as foerhand, the ROC I can't use but somehow the Wasp I can use. The problem is more due to how the ROC has that extra dump and drop as soon as it is visible that the disc is loosing spin speed in the end flight as well as a rim nose that is not comfortable on the ROC being more tapered as the Wasp has more rounded nose.

Lightning. Today it is #3 Flyer.

Thanks.

Now I am surprised nobody has said a #2 Upshot or Colt. If one is needing a disc that is lower profile putter for some reason but is not wanting the OS low profile putter that is more common in molds then a #2 Upshot or Colt is what one is looking for as the mold is something they could use for having a driver marked disc with a D on top and a separate disc for putting as these mold types for those discs work well for both driving/putting.

I'm going with Leopard, and in Pro

but nowadays there are so many options for any type of disc. Other options would be Star Teebird, X or Z Comet, any Zone, Champ Firebird, Z Buzzz.

You can't tell me what to do.

Roc for one lifespan
Zone
Leopard in Pro - I don't like the mold, but it's too good not to be included

If you don't mind, school me on the Pro Leopard. I've only thrown a DX when first learning and was fun until it was too beat in...

I really like flippy stuff. I throw a Neutron Relay fair amount right now. I'm picturing Pro Leopard to be a little less stable than that and more glidey (not that the Relay can't boom). But these just assumptions and may not be comparable.

If you don't mind, school me on the Pro Leopard. I've only thrown a DX when first learning and was fun until it was too beat in...

I really like flippy stuff. I throw a Neutron Relay fair amount right now. I'm picturing Pro Leopard to be a little less stable than that and more glidey (not that the Relay can't boom). But these just assumptions and may not be comparable.

This is my opinion on the Pro Leopard

The Pro Leopard is closer to DX while wearing much slower. It will be a little less touchy to form flaws but will still glide in ways that the more premium blends won't. It really is the perfect disc to complement Comets because it will expose nose angle issues when the Comet will power through them.

In terms of comparing it to the Relay, I have only thrown one Relay (a Circuit stamp), but it flipped a lot easier to flat but locked in flat and didn't move off its line. The Pro Leopard will be less prone to flip, but once it gets there, it's not going to stop suddenly at flat like my Relay did. Despite all that, it's still amazingly controllable and predictable. Great mold whether I can adjust to the notch in the wing or not.

The Pro Leopard is closer to DX while wearing much slower. It will be a little less touchy to form flaws but will still glide in ways that the more premium blends won't. It really is the perfect disc to complement Comets because it will expose nose angle issues when the Comet will power through them.

In terms of comparing it to the Relay, I have only thrown one Relay (a Circuit stamp), but it flipped a lot easier to flat but locked in flat and didn't move off its line. The Pro Leopard will be less prone to flip, but once it gets there, it's not going to stop suddenly at flat like my Relay did. Despite all that, it's still amazingly controllable and predictable. Great mold whether I can adjust to the notch in the wing or not.

I agree having used an older DX Leopard in 2004. Once the mold is worn in from a pro plastic on down, the disc goes from a straight disc flight to a S shot disc. A beat in Leopard is more for open tree holes that you need to weave in and out of trees if one knows how to do the S shot. Eventually I could do this shot with a Valkyrie in Champion and did not need a Leopard and when I started using the Impact thanks to the 2007 Ace race, I was using it for what I used the older mold of Leopard for when newer straight tunnel shots without needing to do the mini hyzer flip to flat as well as other uses like the odd distance between a fairway disc and a midrange.

Last edited:

As others have mentioned, DX Leos are already kinda flippy and beat in way too quickly. I have a 175g Pro in the bag, and it's easy to turn, hyzer flip for straight tunnels, or even throw high flexes, but without turning/burning even with 100% power. It's of good use on any course but especially good on wooded courses. I think they start in surprisingly OS but beat in quickly and stay in a good spot for a long time.

I also bag a Neutron Relay, but only on wooded courses. It definitely has less HSS but maintains the line as someone else said. I use it for shots that I need to turn right even if I throw well under full power. I don't find much use for it at full power.

I said Comet earlier, and I stick with it, as it can appeal to all players.

however, as a purely FUN disc, that has no real equal out of the box, I submit the Stratus, in X plastic. I realize this disc will be totally lost on the torque-monkeys here who will cry and moan about being stupid US and "turn and burn" and uncontrollable, but for truly unique hyzer-flip and turnover lines, there's nothing like it.

I'm throwing these out there as I find them my most used discs as well as they fly incredible and made some beautiful shots
You have to try these:

Axiom PROXY - Straight premium putter 3/3/0/0

MVP ATOM - Like a proxy3 - 3.5/3/0/1

Axiom ALIAS - Super straight midrange - 4/4/0/1

I said Comet earlier, and I stick with it, as it can appeal to all players.

however, as a purely FUN disc, that has no real equal out of the box, I submit the Stratus, in X plastic. I realize this disc will be totally lost on the torque-monkeys here who will cry and moan about being stupid US and "turn and burn" and uncontrollable, but for truly unique hyzer-flip and turnover lines, there's nothing like it.

Also Have Seen the Stratus be used as one of the best Roller discs ever. Stratus is not Stupid US to me but the disc that is Stupid US, is a Mamba as I see players use the disc and unless you need to go left a soon as disc has been released and you do not have a distance forehand then no a Mamba is not for you. The speed needed to get an 11 speed disc going will have the Mamba turning to fly off to the left. How Dave D uses such a US disc in some Disc Golf Answerman Videos on YouTube without hyzer and have the disc fly straight is beyond me.

How Dave D uses such a US disc in some Disc Golf Answerman Videos on YouTube without hyzer and have the disc fly straight is beyond me.

Please link to the video of the Innova owner throwing a Discraft disc on a DD podcast.

Also Have Seen the Stratus be used as one of the best Roller discs ever. Stratus is not Stupid US to me but the disc that is Stupid US, is a Mamba as I see players use the disc and unless you need to go left a soon as disc has been released and you do not have a distance forehand then no a Mamba is not for you. The speed needed to get an 11 speed disc going will have the Mamba turning to fly off to the left. How Dave D uses such a US disc in some Disc Golf Answerman Videos on YouTube without hyzer and have the disc fly straight is beyond me.

Please link to the video of the Innova owner throwing a Discraft disc on a DD podcast.

I think Casey was saying Dave Dunipace was throwing a Mamba... which is an Innova disc.