• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

One Legging It: Backhand Fix Yo'self

So I was just outside trying this drill, and I have a couple questions. Number one, should I do this just as a motion, or let some discs loose on it for the best benefit? Number two, getting my hips into my throw is one of my many, many problems. With this I felt even less like I was getting my rear hip moving forward than normal. Is that supposed to be the way it feels?

^Definitely throw some discs. The rear leg should counterweight like HUB is showing. You can't really drive off of the leg since there isn't weight there, but that hip is already "behind" and acting as though the shift has already happened and now it's job is to automatically provide balance through your follow through.

A good side effect is that since you have low/no expectations on distances it lets you focus on just the mechanics without trying to overthrow any discs.

I see, so I shouldn't expect to feel any hip shift as this simulates what is going on after that point. I did throw a about 10 discs with it and they all came out on hyzer. I suppose this means I'm not quite getting it yet?

The more you do it, the better you should be Able to balance and stack your nose, knee and toes. This is something that develops over time and reps, not just 1 session.

Hyzer release is common, because you're probably stacked better than you're typical throw - which wouldn't be over the knee. Give it time.

Great video sir as always. This is a great follow up to SW's one leg vid, almost a TLDR. I've been wanting to rebuild my throw from the one-leg and this is showing exactly how to do it from the hit and then add steps. Love it.

Used this drill as a warm-up before a quick round this afternoon. Found that keeping my chin up made a HUGE difference in my balance, keeping me stacked and upright into the brace...

Beat my course average by 4 strokes and it felt SO smooth and easy. Many thanks HUB! :thmbup:

This is how I warm up and how I practice. I do it a bit different in that, I start the same, but I will draw weight back onto my rear leg and hogan power move back into the throw. Sidewinder gave me that bit of info on my form check when I asked him why I can't generate any power ( since he throws a teebird 350' in his video). Once I got that feeling, I just x step into that same position. Adding a wide rail with a very closed plant foot( which I stole from hyzer on another of his posts) and the distance has increased as well as lowering the effort. I threw a nova 300' slightly up hill today to park a weird hole and it was just those 2 posts smashed into one.

I don't agree at all with the initial part of the video. Your plant foot is rock solid stationary with zero rotation and your knee is just asking for trouble, and wow...it even looks painful in this video. I do a 1 step drill and I always rotate my foot. Granted..I'm an old fart..but for anyone with potential meniscus problems, I would avoid this.

Attachments

• _kneeproblems.jpg
    _kneeproblems.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 60
attachment.php

If you have bad knees, I'd suggest NOT putting any twisting pressure on your knees.

But a regular golf swing is the exact same motion and shouldn't be a problem for most people's knees.

Attachments

• IMG_0372.jpg
    IMG_0372.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 413
Ball golf is worse with the spikes.

In one leg drill there is no driving torque through the front leg/knee from the rear foot/weightshift. You should be extending your knee throughout the swing which helps protect it. Also Jason isn't even throwing the disc in your screen capture, so it's not full swing momentum. If you are worried about your knee in this drill, just lift your toes inside your shoe which will put your weight toward your heel and you will pivot effortlessly/automatically if there's enough swing momentum. If you feel pain in this drill you doing something wrong, or already damaged goods beyond what I have damaged. Should be less pain than having two feet on the ground.

But a regular golf swing is the exact same motion and shouldn't be a problem for most people's knees.

This is funny. I find it pretty hard getting the brace right in disc golf, I have only played a year though and not THAT much.

I'm HCP 10 Golf player though so I would say I'm a pretty decent golfer, which is why I'm confused that I can't incorporate my golf skill into disc golfing.

But sure, there are alot of things to think of to get every throw right and probably just need to focus on one thing at a time. :)

Latest posts