• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Opposite of the Ice Bowl tournament Idea

Would you play in an event like this?

• Sure sounds fun

Votes: 10 25.6%
  • Maybe if it was done right

Votes: 18 46.2%
  • Probably not

Votes: 11 28.2%
  • No way sounds stupid

Votes: 5 12.8%

• Total voters

allinpflop

Eagle Member
As it seems like everyone has an ice bowl this weekend or next in my area it got me to thinking about different tournament ideas. Here's what I came up with. Instead of the ice bowl in winter do something along those lines in the summertime on the longest day of the year (or the weekend nearest that date). The object is to spend the whole day discing. Instead of how you shoot the goal is unique holes played as a way to keep score. Obviously certain regions are going to have an advantage over others but at a local or regional level competition could exist. In honor of it being the longest day of the year (or close to it) you can tee off at whatever the local recognized sun up time was and can play until official sundown. I am envisioning groups meeting at course one playing, then carpooling to the next course and on. It could be either formal or informal ie as clubs or just groups of people and in honor of the charity aspect of the ice bowl partcipants could seek out sponsors that would donate a certain amount of money/food/whatever that benefits the charity that is going to be included based on number of unique holes actually played. Example $ .10 a hole times 72 holes played equals $7.20 donation. You can have some of the same prizes awarded based on total donations, largest group, furtherest distance traveled etc. etc. In order to make it that fun event instead of a chili cook off that some ice bowls do you could have a BBQ dinner or something along those lines. Lots of ideas here but before I go too crazy with this does dgcr think this is either a good or fun idea?

I think you should have to travel to some place that is 105 deg. or so in the shade. I likely wouldn't have to travel. BBQ or chili sounds great (with plenty of hot peppers)!

Edit: On further thought, you northern guys allow us to have our ice bowls at 70 degrees so we should allow you the same courtesy for your up north "heat bowls". Strike the part about 105 degrees, but I stand behind my hot peppers!

Last edited:
Name of event???

Still trying to figure something out...the opposite of ice is either steam or gas
What is the opposite of bowl? Haha

They do an iron man style event in Raleigh in the summer that they call The Great 8. As the title suggests, it's 8 courses, 18 holes each (that's 144 holes). They're all over town, so you have to drive to each one. Usually you start super early in the morning then essentially play almost speed golf if you want to finish before sunset. Keep in mind that Raleigh is a sauna in the middle of summer, so it's not the most pleasant thing ever.

I really want to play it.

They already do this. I forget the name of the tourney but it's somewhere where it's hellish hot, and all day long. Anyone want to refresh my memory?

I believe that Vegas had 100 holes of Hell or something along those lines....I am thinking of something that can be done nationwide and involves driving from course to course and has the same low pressure no pressure of ice bowl with a charitable aspect.

I really like that

Now how you would tie the title to the tourney I have no fn clue but firedome, would in fact be the most literal opposite of the icebowl you could get :)

Maybe you have a hole with throw away discs and a fire pit and....no I honestly can't think of a way to incorporate firedome :D

Dome is roughly disc shaped make a "fire" dome (disc) that has some part or importance...I have no idea haha

Meh, no interest. I play for fun, and the idea of playing all day in the heat and being sore for days afterwards sounds like anything but fun.

Meh, no interest. I play for fun, and the idea of playing all day in the heat and being sore for days afterwards sounds like anything but fun.

Can totally understand that. One of my favorite aspects of disc golf is getting to road trip and play lots of different courses so this appeals to me as a one day road trip on the longest day of the year.

sweet hat disc dyes, runs an event in MA called the solstice 72. the people that played last year were struggling through round 4. i think it was two rounds at buffumville and two at webster f&g

There are 3 local courses in the city here. it would be sweet to have a one day tournament where we played all three. call it the 54 holes of fury :D

Firepit. Drive from course to course, first one that finds certain ethnic minorities using a basket as a grill wins, but they have to throw a disc in that basket.

We have a local group that host an annual Crazy 8 in the summer. Eight courses in one day. No cost and you get a tshirt. Play for the honor of surviving.

Usually a good turnout. They already know that I think they are crazy.

Not sure how you would tie in the wonderful fundraising component that Ice Bowls are known for. Kudos to RR.

Ron Pittman

Latest posts