• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Overhand Disc Selection

Fightingthetide1

Double Eagle Member
I'm in need of a new overhand disc. Nothing OOP or rare. I know the obvious candidates are 11x Firebirds, flat Glo Firebirds, xXx's, Preds, PD's, etc.

What do you guys reach for when it comes to tight overhand shots? For wide-turning overhand shots? And is max weight pretty much a necessity, or would a lighter disc (160-170) be easier to use?

I really like using pearly champ monsters for my overhands. Another good disc is the flick, and you can get those in 150 class too and they still work good.

Does the wide rim of a Nuke make it harder to learn overhand shots?

And xXx's are workable? I was under the impression that they have one of the tightest lines on thumbers.

If I throw the XXX a bit open it'll do a pretty wide flight path, plus it wants to do a pretty hard turn at the end of the flight no matter how you throw it.

Overhand shots are pretty much like throwing a ball anyhow so the learning curve shouldn't be steep no matter what disc you'll use. The OS Nuke at least fits my hand well for that purpose. Main thing to watch out for here is the wrist roll as well, finding a grip you're comfortable with and then just start experimenting with different heights.

i throw tridents for distance and it needs a wide flight. for tighter turns i use my z tracker and for real tight turns i use a z xs. flicks, banshees, speed demons and max's also work well.

Eagles/OLFs but anything like that will work for your tight controlled shots like your PD.

For big thumbers I use lighter Glow FBs. the 166-168 ones are easier to throw and are just as stable.

I've been throwing a Surge lately... but it's no ordinary Surge. It's a super surge

S-TD for tighter flips, Premium JOKERi for huge slow turning lines, C and S-PD for everything in between.

I pretty much only OH 3 discs.

XXX - max D and I have absolutely no shot and am just throwing some shit out of the woods type shots.
QOLF - Tighter, shorter, but still pretty long OH shots. Very accurate and easy to place, most thrown disc for longer OH shots.
Ion - Approach distance OH shots, especially ones that just turn a bit then land upside down.

Mike, or anyone, have you used Roadrunners? I threw a few today and found that they flip really fast and drop straight down at the end. Whereas stable molds tended to kick right (thumbers) or left (tommy) at the end of their flight.

I never had much luck in getting D with my thumbers. My flat C PD never seemed to carry much distance. It always seemed to become really nose-angle sensitive and stall out way too soon. My Roadrunners seemed to flip on their back faster and glide forward before dropping straight down. My Wraiths were similar, but would go further and kick a tiny bit left or right. I never thought of using an understable or even stable mold before, but I might make it a part of my game now. I always thought you were supposed to use stupid-overstable stuff for overhand.

Fightingthetide said:
I never had much luck in getting D with my thumbers. My flat C PD never seemed to carry much distance. It always seemed to become really nose-angle sensitive and stall out way too soon.
Sounds like you're throwing it too high.

Fightingthetide said:
Mike, or anyone, have you used Roadrunners? I threw a few today and found that they flip really fast and drop straight down at the end. Whereas stable molds tended to kick right (thumbers) or left (tommy) at the end of their flight.

Something a lot of people (myself included) overlook regarding overhand shots is the usefulness of less stable discs. A more overstable disc has more distance potential, but typically requires a wider flight path. You will lose disctance with less stable discs, but as you noticed, they turn quicker and stall quicker, typically dropping pretty much straight down (in my experience at least). You just want to avoid really understable stuff, as you run the potential risk of barrel rolling (the only thing aerobie epics are good at doing).

slow and stable wins the race with thumbers. disc angle, height, and the amount of snap on the release are important to line shaping and distance potential.

look at the angle shewby releases his disc at to get it go that far right.

or how he skips it off the water.

monty koz talks about variations in thumbers ~ 2:05. at ~7:40 angle of release is discussed by mark ellis and scott papa.

Fightingthetide said:
You'll notice I throw the S-TD, which is a modified Roadrunner. It is indeed great for shorter distances or straighter lines.

IMHO, nothing beats a z predator for overhand shots. Stable, durable, predictable and consistent. Works great for both tomahawks and thumbers. Nothing better then a z predator!

I feel like all the discs mentioned are great discs for overhanding depending on your throw, everyone has different niches (I love my beat in XXX). If you know how a disc throws, you should be able to discover how it flies at different angles. I can throw overhand a whole course, it is just learning how to shape your throws by changing the angle of your wrist as well as your throwing angle to make the disc do different things both in the air (wide right or left, tight turns) and when it lands (roll, skip, flop).

Good stuff. Thanks for the videos. I'll start working on getting a later release and playing with different angles.

So let me get this straight - slower, overstable stuff wins for distance while understable stuff wins at shorter, straight shots.

This might seem hard to believe, but my flat C PD holds annys for a really long time, sucks in the wind, and turns really fast on OH shots. I flattened it a few months ago when it started to pick up some dome after getting pretty beat-up...doesn't fly the same. So I picked up a 175 Champ Firechicken to try out. It's softer, pretty much flat (almost), and roughly has the same PLH as my flat C PD. Oh and it has 2 dents on the flight plate that seem like they wont come out, but I got it for a discount...and figure it won't change the flight.

Is this a good option? Or should I return it before I throw it and find something else?

6889134023_731a9817c9.jpg
6889134737_ff306a3b8b.jpg

Latest posts