• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Overstable Compliment to Z Buzzz and a Hornet/Wasp Question

syguy47

Hey all, I was wondering what recommendations you guys have for an overstable compliment to my Z Buzzz. Before I switched back to the Buzzz, I used Rocs. I've decided that they just aren't doing it for me anymore and I've gone back to the disc that has always treated me the best, the Buzzz.

Now I'm using a KC Pro Roc as my overstable mid and it still isn't working for me, so I want to try some other discs.

I've been looking at the Z Wasp, the Vector and the Z Hornet. Any of these the on I should try? Got any other suggestions? Thanks! :thmbup:

(Btw, Joe's flight chart gives both the Hornet and the Wasp the same ratrings. So does that mean they fly the same or is the chart wrong? :confused:)

I've been looking at the wasp for an overstable mid, but I've never thrown it. The only thing I can say is try em all out and start with the one u think ull like most. It's what ima do. :thmbup:

Latitude Pain in Opto or GL. Hornet. Both are good compliments to your Buzzz.

im sure that no one will probably agree with me on this one but I REALLY like my Warrior. I got it in gateway's E-HPP plastic at 178g and the thing is my bread and butter. I have 3 rocs that I throw. (KC pro for anny lines, dx for straight, star san marino for more stable lines) a buzzz (straighter and longer than the rocks) and the warrior I use for power shots into the wind (250-280ft) or shorter spike hyzers than I would like to use a Firebird for. I love the Warrior, definitely a diamond in the rough if you ask me.

I think it's all just preference man. Everyone has "their" disc, ya know? I agree that maybe try one or two see what you like, you can always buy used in the marketplace and sell what you don't like.

That being said I like the vector.

It depends how stable you want it. The roc and wasp seem like very similar discs to me. The hornet is just a tad more stable then both of them. I've never tried a vector but I've heard that's alot like a roc as well. Personally, I really like wasp, but the hornet is better for wind. :thmbup:

Essentially a Z Wasp is a Roc that doesn't really change its flight characteristics. Their dimensions are nearly identical. So if you didn't care for the flight of a brand new Roc, you probably won't care for a Z Wasp.

Might want to try a Stalker.

Depends how much more stability you're looking for. Climbing up the the stability ladder from the Buzzz, I'd plug these in as follows:
Roc = a little more stable
Wasp = quite a bit more stable
Hornet = quite overstable stable
Drone = big time overstability

Don't discount how what you're used to and how the disc feels in your hand and upon release. That being said, some might blast me for only putting in one spot for Rocs. Different versions might land on either side of the Wasp.

I'm a Buzzz thrower and really like the similar sized but beaded Wasp for the overstability. I prefer the bead to be beat in a little because the flashing on fresh ones cut my fingers a bit. The hornet does seem to go further but I've only played a few rounds with it and the vector is awaiting testing.

Hope you find one ya like.

Just to put it out there. Wasps dont fly like they used to and arent that overstable anymore. The new ones overlap with the buzzz now more than ever. Id just steer clear of it. Its basically ur roc in z plastic.

Im looking for an overstable compliment too but for now I use a max weight glo buzzz. Though u could try the ones mentioned

Vector
pain
cmd2
hornet. A lighter 170s z would probably do the trick since the heavies are beefy toobut more workable than a drone
zone...its shorter but it depends how overstable of a mid u want.
drone is longer than a zone but still beefy

I Love the Pain. but I still think a Wasp is more overstable than it. The hornet is even more overstable than the wasp. drone is silly overstable and Zone is the definition of a meathook. i love a wasp when i need it to go right but not as quickly as the drone. LHBH

I carry two overstable mids. I like to carry one that I can use for straight shots that will hook up hard at the end, and one that's an absolute meat hook. I can replicate some of the lines that each makes using the other, but I like to know that I have a disc in the bag that I can sidearm at 100% and know that it won't tip up, or can be thrown flat and will still dive and skip.

Overstable: Fresh Roc, Vector, DD Drone, beat FLX Drone, beat Zone, etc.

Meat Hook: Blaze, Glow Whippet, Glow Viper, etc.