• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Overstable midranges

tmattoon

how far are you throwing?

at what distances are you getting the roc and buzzz that you are seeing tracking to the right?

from what you have said so far it does sound like OAT...which I don't believe you would always see wobble

I throw all Innova except midranges. I use the following series:

Z-Buzzz SS -- understable
Z-Buzzz
Z-Wasp
Z-Hornet -- overstable

I like the fact that all have very similar feel in the grip, rims are almost identical except for the Wasp has a bead.

This helps my consistency. Takes a variable out of the equation. If I throw them all the same way, they will land in a nice row, right to left.

I don't think Innova has any comparable under- to overstable series with similar rims unless you try to assemble a series of Rocs in various plastics and stages of wear. That is a lot tougher than just getting the above Discraft series right out of the box. It seems like Roc throwers are always scrounging around for the perfect Roc, maybe because they are all different. I know Roc throwers swear by em, but I don't want to get attached to discs that are so tough to replace.

To answer the OP...OAT has a huge effect on drivers, but when thrown hard they will fight out of it, where a mid-range will not.

tmattoon

how far are you throwing?

at what distances are you getting the roc and buzzz that you are seeing tracking to the right?

from what you have said so far it does sound like OAT...which I don't believe you would always see wobble

ManU is spot on with this. A new KC Roc, and a new z buzzz should NOT turn if your form is clean and you aren't throwing in to a headwind. Think of it this way, some of the BIGGEST arms in the sport throw these discs for overstable shots and they don't turn for them unless they're beat in a bit.

Furthermore, a new KC Roc, and a new Z buzzz should not behave the same. They should both go straight, but the Roc will fade significantly more.

My suspicion is you're either throwing with OAT, or you're actually releasing very slightly anhyzer which is causing these discs to track right a while.

Edit- whoops, didn't realize I was reading from much earlier in this conversation. Get a pain though. They are just awesome.

Vectors are stable enough to fade even in a headwind, but if you want something truly overstable I'd recommend a pink proton vector. They tend to have the most dome.

I have been a Roc thrower for years but I have switched over to the Pain this year and I am loving it. Has the same stability as a Roc but with mucho glide. It just goes way farther than any kind of Roc I have thrown and I have pretty much thrown them all. I would say the Pain is a Star Roc on steroids.

I think for now I'm going to keep throwing the roc for my more overstable midrange and try to get my form down to see if that is causing the problem (most likely it is) and if christmas rolls around and I'm still having problems I'll probably get a hornet, wasp, or vector or I might anyway because I really like trying out new discs. Hopefully someone I run into on the course has a vector/hornet/wasp I can try out before christmas.