• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

overstable putter for driving

A list:

BB Aviar (KC, JK, Yeti Pro, etc.)
Wizard
VooDoo
Ion
Jokeri
Focus
whatever putter you already throw

All of these will work, I would be inclined to think.

this guys good.. throw a "new" in "whatever putter you already throw" and just go with it.

I'm totally reexcited about the new soft Ions...They are pretty HSS and have some decent fade. I agree with Jussi's post above in general, but I will say that the soft Ion is one neutral disc that is a bit of an exception. If you throw it hyzer it holds the angle, but pushes forward and does have a decent lateral fade at the end...So thrown with slight hyzer angles it can perform the shot in question beautifully...As long as there is not much wind.

I for one feel like an overstable putter without any glide is kind of pointless...It just masks form flaws and lets you throw a "putter" like a driver without having to really learn to throw a true putter on a long and stable line. I feel you are better off throwing a moderately overstable mid from a standstill or with less power than full powering an overstable and glideless putter.

Very true, but there are lines which are easiest (always shoot the percentages) to hit with an overstable disc. The main example in this case would be a shorter hole that requires a straight line with a harsh fade around a corner at the end. In the first post he did mention he needs a good hook, and it's hard to accomplish this with a neutral disc (still doable of course, and rewarding when it works, but significantly more likely to succeed with an overstable disc).

Many people underestimate the power of a hyzer, thrown on a straight flat plane. And, nothing performs this better than a neutral disc, as it doesn't mind which line it's on. If you need more add in a touch of nose up, (most do this without trying ;)) And you've got yourself one hard fade at the end of a short flight. See a the problem with a really over stable disc is that while it does start to "fade" very fast, that fade is also followed with a lot of left movement. Thus making you compensate for it if you want it to go farther. Either by power, or by line. Most have to use lines, so what seems simple turns into more variables. And, when there are more variables your percentages drop. This is why so many older players are considered finesse players. Their disc back then were much less stable than ours today and required more skill than power.

I still like to carry an overstable slow disc for:

something that skips a little more, rolls a little better, and handles forehands in the 175-225' range better for someone with crappy FH skills

Forehand approaches with the Zone have been clutch for playing in the wind this spring and they're great for skipping around corners on low bullets and opens up different lines on wooded courses. Its real predictable on forehand and cut rollers too. If there is a clean line with a putter to the basket I'll usually take it, but the Zone is a great tool to have in the belt.

They're also great for short flex shots through the trees. You can overestimate the amount of anhyzer you need on a shot and it will still flex out. You can play the safer side of the shot. Mine is pro D plastic and has picked up a significant amount of glide without losing much stability.

They shouldn't be your go to disc, and they aren't great learning tools for basics, but they have their place.

I am really lacking a good overstable putter for driving shorter holes... I used to use a mid range but i am blowing past all holes less then 200ft with my middys... so i am searching for a good overstable putter.

I use an flx challenger for straight and turn over approaches, but i am looking for a good hook

I was considering a rhyno or a pig, but i am looking for some advice.

ESP Zone ftw, lets play tomorrow and i'll let you toss mine a little.

Zone = MONEY

this^^^

Many people underestimate the power of a hyzer, thrown on a straight flat plane. And, nothing performs this better than a neutral disc, as it doesn't mind which line it's on. If you need more add in a touch of nose up, (most do this without trying ;)) And you've got yourself one hard fade at the end of a short flight.

this is truth as well. Learn how to do both and you'll be a gangsta. It is amazing to throw a disc with hyzer and watch it fly dead straight, holding the hyzer the whole way and fading at the end. The key is all in the nose up.

Last edited:
Feldberg goes over the understable discs great for hyzers in his video (dg fundamentals maybe?).

overstable discs don't want to go left for righties, they actually go towards the ground. an understable disc thrown with hyzer will actually still get the intended fade while also fighting going towards the ground.

overstable putter=zone
"hyzer shot"=understable disc thrown with hyzer

Many people underestimate the power of a hyzer, thrown on a straight flat plane. And, nothing performs this better than a neutral disc, as it doesn't mind which line it's on. If you need more add in a touch of nose up, (most do this without trying ;)) And you've got yourself one hard fade at the end of a short flight. See a the problem with a really over stable disc is that while it does start to "fade" very fast, that fade is also followed with a lot of left movement. Thus making you compensate for it if you want it to go farther. Either by power, or by line. Most have to use lines, so what seems simple turns into more variables. And, when there are more variables your percentages drop. This is why so many older players are considered finesse players. Their disc back then were much less stable than ours today and required more skill than power.

I think there is a happy medium between the two ends of this spectrum (Overstable with power, or stable/understable with finesse). Discs that have good HSS and modest LSS offer line shaping ability as well as predictability without having to have expert finesse on your throws.

I agree with the bit about older players having better finesse from learning less stable disc...Most of these guys were also absolutely deadly with a lid before even trying disc golf. As much as I respect and learn much from these guys, their lessons are appropriate for very skilled players more than beginners usually....You wouldn't ask the top engineer of the Hadron Particle Collider to try and explain Newton's First Law to a bunch of middle schoolers, and that's how it is when a beginner asks one of our DG sages for throwing advice...The beginner has to learn a million things that a skilled player takes for granted and perhaps doesn't even remember learning in the first place.

wizards are great for most anything under 200'. hold an anhyzer line with nose down and will naturally fade very predictably on a flat or hyzer release. brilliant off the tee, or any approaches you can toss at it.

I think there is a happy medium between the two ends of this spectrum (Overstable with power, or stable/understable with finesse). Discs that have good HSS and modest LSS offer line shaping ability as well as predictability without having to have expert finesse on your throws.

I agree with the bit about older players having better finesse from learning less stable disc...Most of these guys were also absolutely deadly with a lid before even trying disc golf. As much as I respect and learn much from these guys, their lessons are appropriate for very skilled players more than beginners usually....You wouldn't ask the top engineer of the Hadron Particle Collider to try and explain Newton's First Law to a bunch of middle schoolers, and that's how it is when a beginner asks one of our DG sages for throwing advice...The beginner has to learn a million things that a skilled player takes for granted and perhaps doesn't even remember learning in the first place.

Yeah, there is a happy medium. I agree there. I just wouldn't go with the really over stable, then another mold for everything else. As you know the mold minimalism kicks in for me and that's where that medium is found. Find one that can do it all. Depending on how you play, find the one that lies somewhere in the spectrum. Either closer to the over stable, or under side to fit your game. I just wouldn't suggest going the two or three mold route is all I'm suggesting.

I wasn't trying to be mean about it or anything, just giving the option and explaining reasons to support my opinions. I know these might not be the best for everyone, but given the correct information. Later they might say, "You know they told me I should have done this then but I didn't listen." Because I done the exact same thing.

Zone. Best overstable putter on the market, IMO. I have never thrown a putter that flies like the Zone. I like to call it the Firebird of putters. :thmbup:

Holy f'ing Einstein!!

Discspeed broke out the particle collider. Wow. This site is amazing!

Rhynos are great. They can handle a lot of torque.
Unless you're a forehander, I'd recommend the Zone over a Pig. Zones are better in the hand (IMO), have good speed, and throw like a shorter midrange. Pigs are...pigs. But I have a FHer buddy that makes Pigs fly like Rocs.

Totally agree, Pearly Champion Rhynos are ideal, but if innova had a champion Pig, this would be even better. I like zones, but if you dont throw hard or have hard times judging skips than the ESP zones can be more than you bargained for and they are limited on distance since they are soooo overstable. Zones are ideal putters for wind putts or approaches on very windy days.

i have two putters that for the most part stay in my bag. the pig and the dart. the pig doesn't have the glide to get the distance on drives but is far more accurate while trying to nail a line. it's also far superior when playing in wind. the dart does have the glide but IMO is less capable of holding the lines my pig can hit. i generally only drive with the dart on open holes or holes with wide lanes... but even then, if the hole is over 250' i'm still using my mako or roc.

on the other hand, i have really been getting in to this yeti aviar... it may soon replace my dart.

I'm totally reexcited about the new soft Ions...They are pretty HSS and have some decent fade. I agree with Jussi's post above in general, but I will say that the soft Ion is one neutral disc that is a bit of an exception. If you throw it hyzer it holds the angle, but pushes forward and does have a decent lateral fade at the end...So thrown with slight hyzer angles it can perform the shot in question beautifully...As long as there is not much wind.
Now you made me feel bad because I've already got too much older IONs as it is (for my budget I mean), I'll have to wait until they either beat in (HAH!) or lose them to buy new ones. =P
I for one feel like an overstable putter without any glide is kind of pointless...It just masks form flaws and lets you throw a "putter" like a driver without having to really learn to throw a true putter on a long and stable line. I feel you are better off throwing a moderately overstable mid from a standstill or with less power than full powering an overstable and glideless putter.
Hence the reason I throw the JOKERi.
Agree with both of you, and my first instinct is always to manipulate my ION to where I want it to go. But when faced with a dead straight tunnel shot that hooks at the end, I'm going to grab my JOKERi, which flies dead straight, only fading at the end, rather than gauging the exact amount of hyzer and nose up need to keep the disc on a straight line while still fading enough at the end, while also not lifting too much (from the nose up) so that it doesn't hit the canopy.

My Two Cents Worth...

I actually carry THREE Rhynos. The oldest is Pro, and it's a good nose-up floater for control and turnover disc. Next is the R-Pro, which is the straightest thing I've seen. Last, but not least, is an I-Dye Champion. It's the hyzer disc for me. I've used Pigs in the past, but it requires too much arm for me (and I have to be very careful about how hard I throw discs due to strain on my elbow).

Rhynos work well---just keep a new one handy to throw in because once the wear kicks in, it's gonna start turning over.