• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

paint marker

I use the Sharpie ones for my Black DISCWING discs and have had no issues at all.

I've used them before just to write on and didn't notice any difference in flight.

I didn't paint the whole disc, so if that is your intention, my guess is that it would change the flight.

my question is about spray painting disc. Not exactly throwing 3 coats all over the thing but logo/stencils and whatnot. I sorta was talking about this in the other thread and figued I could discuss it here a bit better.

I honestly dont care about the specific rule book and tournament competitions, I just play for fun, and would like another medium for my stencils.

Just for discussion, I wish this specific rule was written with more speculation as to what a "detectable thinkness" is

"Discs excessively sanded or painted with a material of detectable thickness are illegal."

A light coating of mud or dirt/dust on a disc could be counted as the same thickness as a coat of paint. (im sure theres a rule about mud) But I could see if we were talking about a thick latex or a texturing paint, something that could be peeled off in large portions. But a dusting of krylon cant make that much of a difference. To get paint off you have to sand it which means its of little thickness. As for flight characteristics its not as much difference as a chip or gash. Especially because the actual factor logos and markings have a "detectable thickness" to a certain extent. If you can rub them off with goo gone then that means its on top of the surface and pigmented/dyed into the material.

Which by the way seems debatable too. If you were to dye a disc and let that disc sit in the dye and allow it to soak up into the material, you'd be changing the weight/volume of the disc to a certain extent.

IMG00244.jpg

Something like that. I found the disc & it didn't have any info on the bottom... just a lame anarchy sign so I drew a lil character with paint makers. I hope it doesn't mess up the flight characteristics 'cause I like it a lot.