• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vs.] PD vs Thunderbird in the BrinsterBird role

wims

Double Eagle Member
Good day sirs,
in the beginning of this season I put a fresh JL Teebird into my bag. It was super overstable for a Teebird, it laughed at head winds and it would fight out of an anhyzer without any problems. It wasn't Spark-levels of overstable tho, it just had good workable overstability. Unfortunately it was in dayglow green and I lost it in the woods. I bought a new JL Teebird to replace it, but it doesn't fly anywere nearly as overstable.

So instead of trying to find the flattest, tallest PLH Teebird in my shop I'm going to try out some other molds. The sPD and the *Thunderbird are the biggest contenders so far. I don't want something FAF FB overstable, I just want a workhorse overstable disc that I can trust in a stiff headwind, and something that will flex out of an anhyzer. How overstable are these discs typically when new? Are they at most Brinster Teebird overstable? FWIW I don't got a big arm at all, Teebirds max out at about 300ft for me

Might want a pdx. I toss thunderchickens. Only my lost proto was that stable

PDs are overstable, but certainly not stupid OS. In fact, I have a few that trend understable with a fairly mild finish. In no way am I saying this as a negative as the PD is one of my absolute favorite discs! Good (not great) in wind, reliable fade, sneaky distance for a 10-speed, and have a great grip with the smaller rim. For windy days, I actually grab a PDx or Thunderbird. The Thunderbirds I have are noticeably more overstable than all but one of my PDs. The PDx, while hard to find as it's only a fundraiser disc, they can occasionally be found on eBay or DGS and are certainly worth the coin! (last I saw was around $30) They are slightly faster but much more consistent in wind than a standard PD. However, if you are like me and don't want discs that are hard to replace/super pricey, the PD is a phenomenal disc and the Glow C-Line are very true to the flight numbers - 10/4/0/3. I'd put S-Line closer to 10/5/0/2 - like a longer Teebird. (non-brinster)

Just did some checking and am seeing older posts on reddit.com/r/discexchange for PDx's running $25-$30. Again, excellent disc for those of us that want some good beef but PD2s are out of the question. :D

First run (2013) Brinsters are the most overstable of the Brinsters. 2013 AJ Star Teebirds are almost as overstable if you're into paying for OOP discs. DX Thunderbirds actually start out the most overstable of the Thunderbird plastics (and feel amazing for DX). If you want premium plastic, Star Thunderbirds are a good tick more overstable than champion.

Oh and Sexton Firebirds are fairly mild for Firebirds which means they are someone similar in flight to a Brinster Teebird or Star Thunderbird.

Domey 12x firebirds are very workably OS. Still great into a headwind but don't have the monstrous fade of a flat bird.

Tyrants were designed to be a pissed off Teebird.
I know I shameless plug this mold a lot but it's for good reason. They create a KILLER duo with a good Bird

You can go with an S-PD I think, but it does feel slightly more power-hungry to me than the Thunderbird...they fly good on line drives with power. I think a star Thunderbird could be a good overstable control driver...bit more stability and finish to it than champs it seems. Another option if you want fade with it is a Felon, as they fly like domey/mellow Firebirds but are flat and a little more forgiving to power down IMO.

I have a pretty overstable JL Teebird, dayglow green, likely similar to what you had. I was using a pretty beefy S-PD as a longer version of it, but it did have to be thrown with more power. It was the most similar in lines to that disc of any others in my bag, but it did require more power to throw.

I don't want something FAF FB overstable, I just want a workhorse overstable disc that I can trust in a stiff headwind, and something that will flex out of an anhyzer.

I describe star Thunderbirds as a a kinder, more gentle Firebird. Note: I've only thrown star Thunderbirds (around 168g), and I think they're a bit more stable than champion.

For someone who throws Teebirds about 300', Thunderbirds and PDs will be more or less identical. Neither will show any turn, and you'll get about the same distance as a Teebird. You might find the Thunderbird has a little more glide and a little more fade. I used to bag an SPD, but I found the extra fade of the Thunderbird made it more useful for me as both a forehand & backhand disc.

Why switch from champion to star for the PD?

Tenth run cpd are what you want. Plastic is grade A. Shape is perfect. Infinite discs has them with a nice 3 inch bomber stamp for cheap. You can also get them from the Discmania online store.

I throw spd for straight flight flights. Definitely working a -2 turn into a head wind on a 8/10 patents spd.

I throw a seasoned Gstar Firebird in this spot. It started out a bit less stable than a domey champ, but quickly seasoned to where it is now. It has stayed the same stability for most of the time I have had it. No turn thrown backhand with a healthy fade that always kicks in, and a bit of turn forehand that fades back a bit past center. Will be affected by headwinds a bit, but even a heavy headwind will not flip it over, just a tad more turn than normal.

I am trying to get a regular Star Firebird to this spot, but it is being stubborn and losing no stability at all that I can tell. I even took the Champ Firebird out to try eliminate that option and try and season the Star faster, but no luck yet. I guess that is a good problem to have.

Sorry, I know this is neither of the stated molds by the OP, but just though I would mention it.

Tyrants were designed to be a pissed off Teebird.
I know I shameless plug this mold a lot but it's for good reason. They create a KILLER duo with a good Bird

So very true and such a great, great, great disc. However, I cannot get a Tyrant to Thunderbird or PD distances. But it is a wind-fighting MONSTER! Like a Banshee with wing extension!

I'd say check out a Reptilian Disc TYRANT or just get a max wt Teebird3.....or max thunderB or PD...really cant go wrong.

So very true and such a great, great, great disc. However, I cannot get a Tyrant to Thunderbird or PD distances. But it is a wind-fighting MONSTER! Like a Banshee with wing extension!

Then get a Teebird3, Thunderbird, or Pd, sounds like you know already what to do

I just want a workhorse overstable disc that I can trust in a stiff headwind, and something that will flex out of an anhyzer

I'd recommend a champion banshee at your distances, in the 167-170 range. The PD might be a bit too fast, and usually isn't quite so overstable that it will fight out of an anhyzer throw.