• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vs.] PD vs Thunderbird in the BrinsterBird role

I am a PD lover. However, also agree it is not a replacement for a TeeBird but rather a complement. The PD is more power hungry at a speed 10 compared to a 7-8 for TeeBrird or TB3.

I have always found a fresh star or champ TeeBird plenty stable for flex shots so I suggest both. Want more o/s? I have a metal flake TeeBird that is the most o/s of any TeeBird I have ever thrown.

Pro tip: C-Line PDx Aussie Opens JUST dropped on Discmania's store! $20! Get one!! Limited run and an awesome flier... flyer? flier... whatever. Go.

Last edited:
if you're throwing more than 375-400ft with teebirds and distance drivers then brinsterbirds and PD/Thunderbirds will differ.

But if you're throwing 300ft with teebirds then a c-line PD (*just get a recent run 8th-10th run of c-pd in max weight) will be very similar to a brinster teebird in flight (penetrating skips, large firebird like skips, overstable, good in wind, can be torqued and will flight out, can be anny-ed and will fight out... ect). basically firebird-lite

champ thunderbirds (regular runs) seem to have more glide/distance/turn than champ PD. thunderbirds and PD are kissing cousins though with firebird bottoms so sometimes you'll find similar traits when you start factoring in other plastics weights and runs.

*all the recent runs of C-line PD's have been consistently overstable. from the 7th to the most recent 10th runs.

Last edited:
Having thrown most of the mention molds I would say that one of the new luster PDs might work or a Star Thunderbird as I've heard that they seem to fly much more OS than the wimpy Champ versions that I can flip on a FH. A Champ ORC might also work though you need to be very cautious about the flashing on them. The newer run Eagle-Xs have no turn unless I induce it with Anny. I've never thrown a Tyrant though if you are looking for a longer TeeBird then you should definitely try some of the mentioned molds as well as the ORC as it is a very underrated mold as is Discraft's Undertaker and Avenger, Lat 64's Saint Pro and Culverin, and Westside's Longbowman and Sampo.

Domey 12x firebirds are very workably OS. Still great into a headwind but don't have the monstrous fade of a flat bird.

Having tried PDs and Thunderbirds for the control driver slot, I keep coming back to slightly domey Champ Firebirds.

We fought tooth and nail on this but I think the KJ Nybo Tbirds are what you want.

Plenty overstable, swirly grippy star plastic. And did i say they are pure beauts.

The PD and Thunderbirds might be too fast. Something to work towards though..

And if you go to the darkside the Saint Pros are perfect.. small rim big glide and enough os on them to give you insurance in light to moderate winds.

Pop top Pros seem to be the most os of the Saint Pros and go goldline plastic as it is money.

If you don't feel like looking for a specific run or plastic type, and just want to grab a regular production disc that will fulfill this role, you could consider an MVP Resistor. Been carrying one for years and its a cornerstone of my bag for headwind hyzers and straight to fade lines FH or BH.

If you don't feel like looking for a specific run or plastic type, and just want to grab a regular production disc that will fulfill this role, you could consider an MVP Resistor. Been carrying one for years and its a cornerstone of my bag for headwind hyzers and straight to fade lines FH or BH.
Totally didn't think of this one. My resistor is my most used throwing disc in my bag. I chunk distance lines a little over 400, and my resistor is reliably straight-to-fade for about 330 feet, up to 350 or so on a flex line. Not gonna break any distance records but has zero turn and is the most reliable disc I throw.

Exactly how I use mine. They also power down really well. I was never a huge fan of powering down OS drivers until I tried it with a Resistor...I guess being slower speed it doesn't dump as hard on those 150-220' shots compared to faster OS discs like Firebirds, Energy, etc. If its a really strong headwind I'm very comfortable flicking or backhanding them from a standstill and playing a safe hyzer line at distances I'd normally throw a putter or mid.

I picked up a max weight Star Thunderbird. It's really stiff, feels great in the hand. It's pretty flat, but it's not board flat like how the DX Thunderbirds mold up, there's a slight dome to it. It's perhaps half a tick more HSS and a tick more LSS than a fresh Teebird. I can get some nice skips out of it, but it doesn't flex out in a big way like for example a Spark. It's not quite as overstable as what I was hoping for, but I think that I can still use it in the intended bag slot. At least for now, perhaps it will be too mellow once the initial freshness wears off

Banshee, resistor, cpd, star thunderbird, trident, fd2, qolf, another teebird, blah blah blah.

Lots of stuff at that distance is going to do what your teebird did, thankfully. Options above trending more overstable.

Last edited:
I picked up a max weight Star Thunderbird. It's really stiff, feels great in the hand. It's pretty flat, but it's not board flat like how the DX Thunderbirds mold up, there's a slight dome to it. It's perhaps half a tick more HSS and a tick more LSS than a fresh Teebird. I can get some nice skips out of it, but it doesn't flex out in a big way like for example a Spark. It's not quite as overstable as what I was hoping for, but I think that I can still use it in the intended bag slot. At least for now, perhaps it will be too mellow once the initial freshness wears off

I played an actual round with it today instead of just throwing it a bit in a field and I must say that the overstability is a bit higher than what I initially thought. It's quite a hog actually, half firebird, half teebird. It's really nice, flexes out of annies really easily