• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

PDGA rating calculations

also, the "one year back" if you have over 8 rounds isn't calendar year from ratings update, but calendar year from LAST RATED ROUND. So i have a round still included from 13 months ago. Until I play another round, it won't get knocked off.

A "calendar year" always begins on January 1 and ends on December 31. Are y'all sure you don't mean something like "trailing year"?

A "calendar year" always begins on January 1 and ends on December 31. Are y'all sure you don't mean something like "trailing year"?

i mean 1 full calendar year from the date of last tournament. I use calendar year as the same day the previous year (one full run through the calendar).

also, that website is ridiculously cool. I just need to get some 1000 rated rounds and my rating will sky rocket!

i mean 1 full calendar year from the date of last tournament. I use calendar year as the same day the previous year (one full run through the calendar).

Usually that's called the "trailing year" or the "trailing 12 months" rather than the "calendar year." Counting back through the "trailing year" always includes 365 days, but counting back through the last "calendar year" varies between 365-730 days, depending on how long it has been since January 1st.

I don't mean to be picky, but I'd feel bad if somebody included the wrong number of rounds in their personal calculation and then complained to the PDGA when result they got didn't match what their official rating showed.

Nobody told me I'd have to do math when I joined the PDGA

... nobody said this was a word problem
hqdefault.jpg

(and the horse's name is Friday) :D

Ok, sorry to rehash an old thread, but here's another question. After the last two weekend's events, I know have 8 rated rounds within the past 12 months. (4 this month, 2 in Nov, and 2 in Oct.) However, one of those rounds isn't included in my CURRENT rating. I'm assuming it falls into the "standard deviation" category as it was roughly 90 points below my rating. How will this play into the next update? If it's not included, will the PDGA still have to go back farther to get that 8th rated round or will that low round now be factored in?

Yes, we go back to get 8 rated rounds included. And your low round is evaluated each update to see if it should be excluded or not. Your low round in theory could pop in and out of your rating each update depending on your playing consistency until it's too old.

No, we just go back as far as needed to get 8 rounds. But if that 8th round is in an event that has 3 rounds, I believe all of those rounds will be included.

Little bit of a side bar. I just joined the pdga and had a similar question. Will they look back on rounds when I wasn't a pdga member and include those rounds as well?

So if the particular event needed to get the eighth round was a two round event, both of those rounds would be included? Sorry, I'm not trying to ask a million questions or anything. I'm just trying to completely grasp how ratings are calculated. I would like to have that info for myself, but I also threw with several newer players over the weekend that was asking about it. And I'd like to be able to thoroughly answer that question for someone if I never asked again in the future.

Latest posts