• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Pencil Whippers - How do you deal with them?

When I find a player who seems to regularly cheat, it is usually in my local minis -- though I have never had a sanctioned tourney round with any of the guys I know of who cheat. I once watched an experienced player who was having a tough day four-putt in a mini (3 misses + the gimme) and the next tee box was literally 25-30 ft away, and he called out "4" when asked.

But here is what I do. Once I see that they've "forgotten" their number of strokes (usually by one or two less than normal) more than once suspiciously, I begin getting under their skin. From then on, I'll call out every shot they take as they begin to address marking their lie. "This is your second, correct?" loud nough for everyone to hear; then I ususally get a first look like "Yeah, alright, OK, enough." Then whatever happens, I keep doing it. "This is your three now -- we agreed it was two last time." "This putt is for four" "The gimme hole-out makes five" and so on for every shot on every remaining hole. If they tee-off OB, I'll say "you get up to one meter in, shooting three," again out loud so there is no mistaking what I am doing.

And if he says, "how'd you like it if I did that to you?", I typically reply with, "no problem...I'll do the same for myself." And then I do.

And for those who pencil whip when they have the card, I do what a lot of people said, I keep my everyone's score on an online app, and MAKE SURE to do the comparison at the end of the round. And if I suspect he pencil whipped when he scored, I usually ask to see the card for comparison two or three times DURING the round.

I would call you for a courtesy violation if you tried that. That is annoying head games, if you need to count my score do it in your head and double check my math at the end of the hole.

Slash his tires.

I always keep a scorecard for the following reasons.

1. forget who is who on card write wrong score for wrong person
2. almost never want to rotate card[obvious daddy issues]
3. i have to remind them of how they played the hole when they say 4 and its more and we have to count out strokes[really annoying during pdga play, also prob abandonment and/or no father figure, see #2]
4. my own records

Best score system was done at the New jersey jam both years I went. Everyone in the group gets a card, cards have to match. problem solved.

Last edited:
So he showed up to another league last night. The cheating incident was known by the league director but the cheater was still allowed to play. I am boycotting that league until the ban is recognized.

Absolutely preposterous to continue allowing him to play.

We've got a few pencil whippers in our area. It is annoying. Don't let this guy bother you or stop you from playing. The director SHOULD ban him but some people don't like confrontation. Just make sure everyone that plays with him knows what he's about and its their own fault if they don't keep a hawks eye on him. I agree with some that the system needs tweeked a little. Everyone in the group should keep score or have one person that keeps the groups score the entire round while the other 3 players trade the official card off every 6 holes and the two cards need to match at the end. I've lost to a cheater before and it sucks!

So he showed up to another league last night. The cheating incident was known by the league director but the cheater was still allowed to play. I am boycotting that league until the ban is recognized.

Absolutely preposterous to continue allowing him to play.

do people call him out on the spot? Maybe the people that know he is a cheater could be very loud and say that he is a cheater. Who would play with him then? Just curious how the league director knew.

do people call him out on the spot? Maybe the people that know he is a cheater could be very loud and say that he is a cheater. Who would play with him then? Just curious how the league director knew.

Multiple incidents of pencil whipping and giving the wrong score. There have been a few threads on our local board with 100+ comments. Almost everyone has a story about him cheating or trying to cheat. TD's/LD's know about all of this, I guess they put him on a card with some new people last night (which is a terrible idea IMO).

You are right, nobody wants to play with him anymore. People will even ask to be moved to a different card. I on that other hand will not even play the league until the ban is enforced.

^ wow. I still cannot figure out why he bothers to show up. I understand why you are boycotting the leagues, it sucks he is ruining this for you and other players. Dont let him ruin your fun though if at all possible.

I think it has already been mentioned, but do it like in ball golf tournaments. Each person in the group has a card, and they keep their own score and the score of one other person. At the end of each hole, every player has to announce their score to the group, and if there is any disagreement it is resolved before starting the next hole.

No cards are passed (never have liked this practice in disc golf), and at the end of the round each person adds up their own score and verifies it with the other member of the group who kept their score.

Unfortunately, this seems too formal for some and so we end up with the nonsense described in this and other threads.

I would call you for a courtesy violation if you tried that. That is annoying head games, if you need to count my score do it in your head and double check my math at the end of the hole.

This for sure. Do courtesy violations have to be seconded? If this is the case, and you are cheating, then obviously no one would second it.

In regards to pencil whipping... why don't we write scores in pen? Bleeds when it gets wet? That way, any changes that occur on the scorecard are obvious and can be contested. I actually thought that there was a no eraser mark rule?

You should make him (and/or everybody) verbally declare what # he is shooting on each throw for everybody on the card to hear.

Although it would suck if you are about to putt and someone is yelling which throw they are on from another hole. Maybe they could just hold their fingers up for everytone to see before each throw.

"I'm Shooting 2"...(or hold up 2 fingers)

etc

What would be great is if whomever is keeping score on the scorecard also has one of those counter-clicker things like baseball umpires have to keep strikes/balls with. But one with 4 counters on it for cards of 4. As each person throws you click the counter for their quadrant.

Last edited:
This for sure. Do courtesy violations have to be seconded? If this is the case, and you are cheating, then obviously no one would second it.

No 2nd needed for a courtesy violation.

801.01 Courtesy.
F. A player violating a courtesy rule may be warned by any affected player, even if from another group, or by an official, with all players of the group advised of the warning. The player shall be assessed one penalty throw for each subsequent courtesy violation of any type in the same round. Repeated violations of courtesy rules may result in disqualification in accordance with section 3.3 of the Competition Manual.

"What would be great is if whomever is keeping score on the scorecard also has one of those counter-clicker things like baseball umpires have to keep strikes/balls with. But one with 4 counters on it for cards of 4. As each person throws you click the counter for their quadrant."

With such a counter, you would reset it to zero after each hole. Everybody must agree on the tally before it is recorded on the actual scorecard.

Whoever is in charge, whether it's a TD or league official, needs to confirm reports of cheating and then suspend him. Allow him back only when he's performed some "community service" in the form of diving for lost discs in the Florida swamps and has issued a public apology. If he cheated in events that are part of any sort of point series, strip him of any points earned.

FTFY

I think it has already been mentioned, but do it like in ball golf tournaments. Each person in the group has a card, and they keep their own score and the score of one other person. At the end of each hole, every player has to announce their score to the group, and if there is any disagreement it is resolved before starting the next hole.
I've suggested for some time now that at the very least, each card (at least in the Intermediate divisions and below) be mandated have at least two scorecard sets with them which must be crosschecked before one of them is turned in as official. Not only would it deter cheaters, it would help alleviate honest mistakes, and help new players get familiarized with the proper technique of taking scores.

AT least...

your league is smart enough to not let him be the treasurer.

What would be great is if whomever is keeping score on the scorecard also has one of those counter-clicker things like baseball umpires have to keep strikes/balls with. But one with 4 counters on it for cards of 4. As each person throws you click the counter for their quadrant.

The problem is not that people have trouble counting, it's that one person is keeping the score for everyone, and the norm is that everyone in the group has an opportunity to have that single scorecard and do shady things with it.

In regards to pencil whipping... why don't we write scores in pen? Bleeds when it gets wet? That way, any changes that occur on the scorecard are obvious and can be contested. I actually thought that there was a no eraser mark rule?

Honest mistakes happen fairly regularly. I don't know how many times in a tournament the first person with the card mistakenly starts on hole 1 rather than our actual starting hole. Then later we discover the mistake and have to carefully adjust the scorecard to put the correct scores on the correct holes. If done in pen, that would be nearly impossible to correct.

There are also adding errors, putting hole 10 in the "out" column, putting scores in the wrong rows, etc.

^^ Right but if there was a VISIBLE counter for everyone to confirm at the end of each hole then there would be no question, so long as the agreed tally is transferred to the scorecard right then and there. Having a visual cue would also help people remember scores for holes (and other players) later on if there was scorecard tampering.

^^ Right but if there was a VISIBLE counter for everyone to confirm at the end of each hole then there would be no question, so long as the agreed tally is transferred to the scorecard right then and there. Having a visual cue would also help people remember scores for holes (and other players) later on if there was scorecard tampering.
The problem is that your system relies on whoever is operating the counter to be attentive to every stroke at all times. This simply isn't the reality at pretty much every disc golf tournament I've ever been to. There are sometimes also disputes regarding whether a penalty needs to be assessed.

If I can do it in my head (for 4 players), then someone can do it on a counter. It's not that hard, and it's certainly easier than relying on memory.

I do agree it is just another thing to keep track of and we are supposed to rely on fair play and everybody being able to remember their own throws, which we know doesn't happen all the time.

But what I am saying is that if there is a continual problem keeping scores straight at a local mini or whatever, this is a potential fix whether it be a temporary solution to resolve cheating and whatnot. I do not think it would be a great idea for tourneys.

Last edited: