• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] Photon (11-12 Speed) Distance Driver

Eagerly awaiting a noodlearmdiscgolf write up onemilemore!

Thanks! Probably gonna be a couple weeks, the queue is a little backed up. We're in the golden age of plastic!

How far did ya throw it?

Not sure. Didn't go full power on it due to being in the neighborhood greenbelt and not wanting to throw it over a fence. But it has some high speed turn and will fade back past center. Need to get out some more later.

Even if this one doesn't stick in my bag, it gives me a ton of hope for the Wave.

The flight plate on this disc is so thin and pliable. I've never felt it's equal. Not sure if that will affect my thumb or not, but I like it a lot. Nice and grippy.

Rim feels big, and is at my limit of what I'd call comfortable.

Visually, the overmold really stands out here. It makes up a substantial portion of the wing.

Gonna throw this in a bit, so I'll report back!

The flight plate on this disc is so thin and pliable. I've never felt it's equal. Not sure if that will affect my thumb or not, but I like it a lot. Nice and grippy.

Rim feels big, and is at my limit of what I'd call comfortable.

Visually, the overmold really stands out here. It makes up a substantial portion of the wing.

Gonna throw this in a bit, so I'll report back!

Does the rim feel comparable to any other disc you've thrown, or is it wholly unique?

The rim feels comfortable, but understandably wider than what Im used to. After throwing it there was no issue at all.
For the first time, I tested my discs on the course instead of in the field. The F Photon I received is 155 grams. You hear it said all the time, X is a longer Y. The whatever is a longer Teebird. Believe it or not, the Photon really IS a longer Tesla. It flies just like my 150's LE Tesla, only its much easier to throw farther, and has a bit more fade at the end.

If disc golf had distance averages like ball golf, today would have been my highest drive average ever. On a couple throws I literally thought to myself, "Did I just throw that?" It sounds like hyperbole, but the Photon is that easy to bomb. Easier than the Inertia. Easier than the Insanity, and F Volt, and maybe even easier than the super glidey DX Beast.

Yes. The Photon is the longest disc Ive ever thrown. Instant distance. But more importantly, its long, but VERY contollable. Oh, I almost forgot...this disc forehands like a dream. I hit about 280 with a standstill FH and my jaw dropped. Its flat and just torque resistant enough to ride straight with a cleanish throw. (I admit my FH form is not perfect).

The highest praise I can give the Fission Photom is that for round, I didnt feel like a noddle arm. And for that reason, its going straight in the bag.

(Sorry for the grammar...my kids are hogging the computer and Im on an older cell phone.

I wonder how this is going to fly at more D. I'm not a big arm, but I hit 375'+ with Laces, and have been concerned about the stability of these at the lower weights. I preordered one around 145 and another around 160, so I'll at least know for sure how they fly across a spectrum of weight.

Longer, easier-to-throw Tesla sounds nice for sure, though.

have you not thrown 150 class laces? if anything the 130g's will bomb like hell and still be more OS than those light laces. Even the 160's are not all that OS when really mashed on. I wouldn't be too worried at all. The overmold is huge.

Bigger arms are going to see turn from the Photon. Today was pretty windy (10-20 mph) and it held up fairly straight in a headwind. But there were inklings of some high speed turn at around 300'. The fade at the end is healthy though, and it skips well when thrown on some hyzer. I would bet we see some huge sweeping shots from Mike C, and Graham Russell. Nikko is gonna frikin' throw this disc a mile.

The Fission really shines in this offering. It allows the Photon to lock on target (can I use a Photon torpedo reference here...please?!?) and hold the line.

Hmmm...this sounds like it could run head to head with my BT Giant. BigSky: how is the glide on the Photon? I assume it's pretty good because of the bombs you wrote about.

Who's BigSky? :p

The glide is tremendous, even more pronounced than for it's little cousin, the F Volt. I admit to being disappointed when hearing the description of this disc, but it is workable to a fault, and you're going to find a use for it if you throw 250, or 550. They crushed it out of the park with this one.

have you not thrown 150 class laces? if anything the 130g's will bomb like hell and still be more OS than those light laces. Even the 160's are not all that OS when really mashed on. I wouldn't be too worried at all. The overmold is huge.

Aim, I love that you love MVP, but why you always yelling at those who express any reservations? It's not like we're arguing about whether gyro is real. :D I think my concerns are legitimate.

I've thrown Laces as light as 161, but those are way flippy for me. These days I carry 166s (I'm practically superstitious about the weight) for bombers, a fresh max weight for wind fighting, and cycle one to two for in between. Even those 166s get a bit unpredictable, as they've got tons of turn for me, but I'm still pretty consistent with them, owing to familiarity if nothing else.

I don't mind turn - I want it in a distance driver - I'm just wondering how much of it I'll get. Only one way to find out, of course. Thankfully at this point I'm only a little over a week away from finding out.

I didn't yell? lol. So you agree, the 160's and below laces are pretty US. I don't expect that from these even at 130 was all I said. We argee, I think?!

This is the MVP release I have truly been waiting for and can't wait to do my video review on it. Why? This is the MVP disc that will replace my Trespasses which have been in my bag since the beginning of the Trespass. The more I read the more excited I get!

The rim feels comfortable, but understandably wider than what Im used to. After throwing it there was no issue at all.
For the first time, I tested my discs on the course instead of in the field. The F Photon I received is 155 grams. You hear it said all the time, X is a longer Y. The whatever is a longer Teebird. Believe it or not, the Photon really IS a longer Tesla. It flies just like my 150's LE Tesla, only its much easier to throw farther, and has a bit more fade at the end.

If disc golf had distance averages like ball golf, today would have been my highest drive average ever. On a couple throws I literally thought to myself, "Did I just throw that?" It sounds like hyperbole, but the Photon is that easy to bomb. Easier than the Inertia. Easier than the Insanity, and F Volt, and maybe even easier than the super glidey DX Beast.

Yes. The Photon is the longest disc Ive ever thrown. Instant distance. But more importantly, its long, but VERY contollable. Oh, I almost forgot...this disc forehands like a dream. I hit about 280 with a standstill FH and my jaw dropped. Its flat and just torque resistant enough to ride straight with a cleanish throw. (I admit my FH form is not perfect).

The highest praise I can give the Fission Photom is that for round, I didnt feel like a noddle arm. And for that reason, its going straight in the bag.

(Sorry for the grammar...my kids are hogging the computer and Im on an older cell phone.

more fade at the end than a tesla...interesting :)

So I am guessing from the chart and bigsk.... I mean halcon:p, that this is similar to a champ destroyer?