• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Playing Disc Golf with Kids

I play more often with my kids then without. I always have extra clothes and food and water. Boys like to pretend to be monster trucks or motor cycles and hide behind trees when we throw. Be happy to get one hole in if that is all you get

If you are going to play a course a little farther away, make a trip out of it with something non disc golf included (they will associate disc golf with fun stuff).

Playing the duece or die courses is your best best with kids but after playing for about a year my 9 and 10 year old nephews can play a full round on a championship level, par 66's before crashing. Courses with playgrounds in the park are great because if they do get tired of throwing they can go play while you finish up.

This is what I try to do with my kids. The course I've taken them to the most is a short 9-holer in a city park next door to a school, with a small playground in the park and a bigger, nicer one at the school. Even the school playground is probably within 500' of any point on the course. I'll also take them to a different park that has a couple of practice baskets (no actual course), plus a playground and basketball court close to the baskets. If I tried to take them some place just for disc golf, they're not going to be too happy. Make it part of a bigger adventure.

I have been working with my 13 yr old since he could walk. He thru side arm until he was 10. His ability to side arm roll and uncanny putting helped him compete against older players. He has been playing adavanced for the last 2 years and he is a current world doubles champ(2 times). My advise is always make sure there is a neutral adult in the groups and caddie for them. Get them light disc. It all depends on how much you want them to improve but the #1 thing to remember is that a kid will always throw their discs one more time than you are willing to gather them.

Make it fun!

Let them throw their drive from a spot where they can reach in 2 shots. If they throw deep in the trees, let them move back to the fairway. At very young ages its more about learning the techniques than anything else. As they progress, let them throw from farther back and from the tough lies. Main thing, don't MAKE them play.

I posted awhile back on the subject of kids playing and was informed that some courses have kid's tee areas. I'd like to see more courses do this.

I played with a guy the other day who had his kid with him. He was probably around 10 years old and had a 131g midrange or fairway (I forget what it was). After the round I went to my car and gave him a lightweight magic that I don't use. I'm glad I could give it to someone who could get some use out of it.

On the longer holes, I'll throw a Avair, XD or Mako and wherever it lands, my kids's first throw is from that point. I also use Scorecard Pro app on my phone and it give handicaps. My kids know what they have to do to 'beat' dad on the course. Gives them something to throw for.

Kids will have more success with light weight mid ranges and approach discs that they will with high speed stuff. Just goes straighter for them.

I have 3 daughters (11, 9 and 6), and we have been playing for about a year and a half. I try to get out a few times a week - they might come once a month or so. We have also gone camping and hitting "remote" courses are a welcome adventure.

1) with regards to discs - I let them throw whatever feels good in their hand. My older girls carry two, usually a putter and another disc - could be their first (fairway driver) or could be one of mine. Lighter is better - but they can tell. My youngest always throws her purple one.
2) I never score with them - so they throw as many times as needed, take extra shots, move out of the trees to the fairway, etc. They also don't score amongst themselves (there are enough fights). My youngest is good for like 2 holes. She walks with us and doesn't complain. She is is disc finder girls. when she feels like it - she putts out on a hole.
3) Our home course has regular pads and rec rocks to mark the rec position. They usually throw from the rocks, and every once in a while hit a par - they are excited when they do it, and they get high fives all around. When we play other courses that don't have rec pads, they go up the fairway and throw from about 150-200 feet - they always throw from where they can see the basket.
4) On the rare occasion we play outside the family, usually it's a best disc format.
5) Play a course that has a creek, pond, etc. - something with water. Then it's an athletic activity plus a nature hike. Wildflowers, bugs, birds, snakes, etc.
6) Water or snacks are pretty important - courses where the front nine and back nine circle back to parking make it so you don't have to carry it, and so you have a "carrot" to dangle....

Both my boys have picked up the disc golf bug as well. They dont really want to do anything but throw and be with dad, doing what dad does. Sooo...I lost my Avair and shark to the oldest, and had to get the youngest a buzzz and a dragon. Mom just throws my leopard.

There are a couple of other players around here toting 4-6 year olds around the course. The flipside of some of this is don't underestimate kids. These kids will play 600' long holes, play a full round on a long course, and want to play more. The 5-year-old just played both rounds of a club monthly tournament (36 holes).

It's really cool to watch them.

None of which is to say they're phenoms or anything. Just that even very small kids MIGHT get hooked enough that you don't need 60' holes for them to play.

Sarah Stanhope runs a juniors tournament that, I understand, had 70 players including a good turnout in the 7-and-under category. All reports were that it was a great event for the kids.

I take my 9 year old out and he loves it. Short courses help(both length and holes). The coolest thing for him was when I took him down with me to buy some discs for him. Later on I got one dyed with his favorite color and his name sake, a Griffin. Even my 4 year old loves taking a running start and tomahawking discs into my traveler at home! Awesome times!!!

Everyone thanks for the great input. It is very similar to how I do play with them always keeping it positive. My son always wins ( we subtract a 100 from my score sometimes more on difficult courses) he loves that.

I do not know what a duece or die course is, but assume it is very short holes.

My son likes to throw what I am throwing. There are a lot of light discs being discussed that i have never have heard of. I gave him a 143 Diamond which is his favorite disc though he recently took a 131 Blizzard Katana out of my bag and wants to keep it after throwing around with it one day (which I will let him).

These other light discs from gateway or innova just don't seem available standard. Where should I look on line.

My son and I went to the park last weekend and were just putting around since the course was busy and we didn't have time to play a round (he like to play BEAR, which is like Horse but with disks instead of a basketball). There are two warm-up baskets about 60 feet apart to practice putting. He took my Blizzard Katana out of one basket and threw it from one basket immediately towards the other one and made it in. The rest of the day he was so proud of that shot as the best shot hehad ever made (It was pretty cool considering he is only )I don't know if I'll ever get that disc back.

Any great kids stories are appreciated.