• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Playing from the water

Salmon, I think throwing a disc in chest high lake water is pretty challenging.

Billolick, I'm not saying the rules should make you play from the water, I just want to have the option when they put a lake in between me and the basket to play from said lake. They give you that option in ball golf.

Presumably, the hole is designed specifically for that water to be O.B. Just as a hole might incorporate a paved area, a roped area, or anything else as mandatory O.B. If the designer did it right, the O.B. makes it a better hole, and negating it would make it a weaker hole.

We have a hole that is a 250' water carry, with the basket on an "island" between the water and the road (also O.B.). It's a bit of a thrill, because you must clear the water. It would play much weaker if a player came up 10' short, but could wade out into the water and putt from there.

David, I guess throwing a disc from the water is not as difficult as hitting a golf ball from the same place.

losing a stroke due to OB penalty keeps idiots from playing lazy and saves courses from having idiots trampling through the water all the time

I like my courses challenging and to not reward players for making bad shots ....maybe its just me...maybe if I drank Red Bull it would seem cool

Some parks have regulations about swimming/wading in the lake, outside of designated beach areas. Some park rangers will even watch disc golfers from afar thru their binoculars, and are known to give tickets to people who enter the water.