• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Poll - Beginners learning backhand

I think that by the time your body gets to 90 degrees from the target, the disc needs to be at the right pec, and the elbow needs to be near it's maximum bend.

okay, this is horrible on many levels, but hopefully, you get the idea and can do something better with your tool and skills.

throwing.jpg

I still don't think that's right. To achive maximum force, the wrist needs to break as late as possible. So like frame 6-7 is where the wrist needs to start opening.

Furthur said:
I still don't think that's right. To achive maximum force, the wrist needs to break as late as possible. So like frame 6-7 is where the wrist needs to start opening.

Agreed. Can we also agree that I'm really horrible at drawing with Visio, too? :)

In the pictures BU drew it seems to me that the wrist is pre bent. It isn't necessary. I start to pivot with the legs and twisting with the hips much later than that. I get my upper arm pointed at the target before starting to turn toward the target from chest pointed 90 degrees left of the target. It requires a harder effort to turn toward the target than my ankle and back can take comfortably so in practice now I slack a little and won't turn chest squared to the target. But I have managed that and it sure feels like it generates more power. Distance increases have been small when I've tried it but they have been there. Too bad that I do it rarely and it's so few times that it ain't statistically significant yet so other factors may have helped with the D increases. I'm still fairly confident that this works better than an earlier leg work beginning. Check out the power applying progression bar and the positions of Feldy in the freeze frames from above to see how late he starts to turn toward the target. A bit of difference to the pictures and my form. With that kind of muscle power one could use a lot of forms and timings and still get far.

JR said:
In the pictures BU drew it seems to me that the wrist is pre bent. It isn't necessary. I start to pivot with the legs and twisting with the hips much later than that. I get my upper arm pointed at the target before starting to turn toward the target from chest pointed 90 degrees left of the target. It requires a harder effort to turn toward the target than my ankle and back can take comfortably so in practice now I slack a little and won't turn chest squared to the target. But I have managed that and it sure feels like it generates more power. Distance increases have been small when I've tried it but they have been there. Too bad that I do it rarely and it's so few times that it ain't statistically significant yet so other factors may have helped with the D increases. I'm still fairly confident that this works better than an earlier leg work beginning. Check out the power applying progression bar and the positions of Feldy in the freeze frames from above to see how late he starts to turn toward the target. A bit of difference to the pictures and my form. With that kind of muscle power one could use a lot of forms and timings and still get far.

I think it's just easier when trying to look at images of timing to look at a pre-bent wrist. When the wrist gets bent isn't as important as when the wrist breaks open.

as a bent elbow fanatic i'm mad at all of you...just kidding.....but still the first picture should be of the torso turned AWAY from the target with the shoulder pointing north (assuming the model is throwing east)......and yes the wrist should really only curl as part of the whip cracking/uncoiling motion......now i want in on the drawing action......brb

EDIT: i'm too lazy to draw it....especially only using the touch pad on a laptop.....

bent elbow is best learned for anyone incorporating a BH whether they are beginning or not because it is easier to get the timing down.

Latest posts