• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Pop on your putt

I don't think its reps personally.

I think people suck at putting because they put in to many reps.
They putt while tired. they just have an unrealistic practice routine. Stuff like that.

10 mins a day at least using my putting routine and you'll destroy putts.
Do it 2 times a day, and it gets even scarier.

But what do I know. I still putt really good for not ever practicing anymore.
I think this is key.

I was one of those guys who would get home and take care of stuff around the house. After my kids went to bed I would put in putting reps. Sometimes till 1 am! You would think that with all those reps I would be extremely good on the putting green.

Nope!

I would miss putts all over the place. I spent a year trying to figure out why I could putt well in the beginning to suck.
I stopped putting in the reps as much and dropped that amount of time practicing to 10-20 minutes of practice. Good, bad, miss, made, 10-20 min, and stop.

Putting got way better. I don't overthink it anymore. I might miss a putt or two per round but nothing like it was before.

...sometimes I do it with my eyes closed....

I think this is key.

I was one of those guys who would get home and take care of stuff around the house. After my kids went to bed I would put in putting reps. Sometimes till 1 am! You would think that with all those reps I would be extremely good on the putting green.

Nope!

I would miss putts all over the place. I spent a year trying to figure out why I could putt well in the beginning to suck.
I stopped putting in the reps as much and dropped that amount of time practicing to 10-20 minutes of practice. Good, bad, miss, made, 10-20 min, and stop.

Putting got way better. I don't overthink it anymore. I might miss a putt or two per round but nothing like it was before.

...sometimes I do it with my eyes closed....
people hate hate hate my close your eyes method.
Putting should be instinctual, not visual.

Eyes are to line up the shot, your mind needs to do the rest for you. I wonder if some of the people who have yips problems comes from eye distractions. They help you only so much. The motion of the putt should be identical every time. The only thing that changes is the umfp you get into the disc to get it through the basket.

So if you got that memorized, what do you need your eyes for after you've lined up your feet?

Now... Putt with your eyes closed on the course? probably not, but you're trying to build as perfect as you can muscle memory so that putt is on auto pilot.

So I made a quick video about it the other week. 400 views. Like legit putting tips that will improve your game instantly. Nobody is interested. They want video's on how to drive further. Cause they want that 12 speed destroyer in their bag to be worth the purchase.
How did you attempt to broadcast the video? This putting video by Overthrow has 110k views. Innova put one put a few weeks ago which has 30k. Even Neil's video from the other day has more views than yours.

You don't even have a link to your channel in your bio on here. If you have a low subscriber count and don't make any attempt to get people to watch your video, you can't cry that people just don't care about putting when others get plenty of traction on their related videos.

Also just to save you the keystrokes, you can save "I don't actually care about the views" and/or "I'm too aloof to care enough to try to game the algorithms" for a rainy day.

How did you attempt to broadcast the video? This putting video by Overthrow has 110k views. Innova put one put a few weeks ago which has 30k. Even Neil's video from the other day has more views than yours.

You don't even have a link to your channel in your bio on here. If you have a low subscriber count and don't make any attempt to get people to watch your video, you can't cry that people just don't care about putting when others get plenty of traction on their related videos.

Also just to save you the keystrokes, you can save "I don't actually care about the views" and/or "I'm too aloof to care enough to try to game the algorithms" for a rainy day.

/me rolls eyes

And people constantly call me rude.

My putting vid prob won't get as many views as some of my others because most people can't handle 18 minutes 😂

Some of it is mental. But its not the confidence mental. Its the wrong mental ques.
Aiming properly, etc. It's basic fundamental stuff that messes with people.

So I made a quick video about it the other week. 400 views. Like legit putting tips that will improve your game instantly. Nobody is interested. They want video's on how to drive further. Cause they want that 12 speed destroyer in their bag to be worth the purchase.
It's like the argument in the 6/7 speed thread about the extra 10-30 feet you get throwing a 12/14 speed disc vs a 6 speed. If you're only getting 30 more feet, you're not helping yourself.
And they are like "But that's a birdy chance, while the other one isn't"
No. it probably isn't a birdy chance, cause you suck at putting for starters, and your drive was probably 30 foot in the woods, not 30 foot short of the basket cause you can't control a big dog driver well. ..... and just gonna.. try not to keep ranting about this.

Yeah, I have no friends that have the Yipps other than Jaani, and he.. well. he's across the pond.
But.. if were going to talk about it like that being an adrenalin dump, maybe we need to find more people with the yipps and find out if that's the same feeling for them to.
So, like when I have random mid day anxiety attacks, its not really anxiety. It's a random adrenalin dump. It's insane. Shakes all sorts of stuff, you're just so wired so hard that you can't function almost. there is no amount of running or task you can do to bleed off the adrenalin.
I wonder if that is more of what it is, but in random short bursts?
Because, if that's really the actual case, it's a nutrition issue. Sounds weird. but it means that some of the receptors in our body are randomly struggling and unable to process.
Might be as simple as methylfolate and trimethylglycine which have a bit to do with some of that stuff.

Gary Brecka has a ton of great vidoe's on this. He was on rogan recently too. The first 80% of it is really good, but then they start talking about IR light beds and stuff and I was like "yeah.. no"
Gary is a huge proponent of breathwork too. But, for us Americans, everything we eat and ingest is poisoned in some way. and its hard to maintain our bodies properly when some of the things we drink have something as simple as cyanide in them. (Monster energy)
It was interesting learning that our food system bases "safety" of foods on "if you were to eat it 1 time and 1 time only would it be safe"

So, if the levels of. say... Cyanide..... in the product are safe for 1 use, then they approve it.
The problem is... We dont drink like 1 of those a year. The people who drink them do it daily.

If you wanna listen. He's got a lot of talks and stuff he does everywhere. But based on the research I've been doing for years now and other people who do similiar things and have went from being hooked on biopharmacy stuff to now they are free of that by using natural medicine and healthier than before. Yeah.
All his stuff tracks. And makes sense too. Cause our body has to be fueld to work right. He has some stuff he talks about with ADHD and it basically is some receptors in the body that get overwhelmed. You do some nutrition adjustment and you'll have your adhd completly under control by making sure those receptors can properly function in your brain.

That was the point of asking how long you've been playing. I was poking a bit at your hubris there to point it out, because all these things you're saying... I was there years ago. Word for word. I can spin putt, but its more complicated than any of the other putting methods. And on top of that, the accuracy requirements on a spin putt are going to be higher than a hyzer putter, which is already bad. But we dont see those very often anymore. Thank god. Hyzer chop putts are terrible.

The idea behind good putting form is to putt in a fashion that gives you the largest range of acceptable error possible. When you've achieved a repeatable putt that gives you high error advantages, putting becomes far easier.
But I believe everyone overcomplicates putting and putting practice.

How can I spend 10 mins a day and be a really good putter and also keep up with the guy who's making 500-800 putts a day? It's not cause I'm better than him, its because of HOW I practice vs how they practice.
Reps are important, but just like when we go to the gym, its how we lift the weights, not that we are just lifting the weights.

The poke back at you was about you looking back at this in a few years when you really really understand and you'll just get a good giggle at yourself.

Got a link to your new putting video? Thank you!

Some of it is mental. But its not the confidence mental. Its the wrong mental ques.
Aiming properly, etc. It's basic fundamental stuff that messes with people.
Playing just over a year, but I have got pretty good at putting. After trial and error with many 'putting tips', I found four that seem to make the most difference for me. My four tips are get that rocking motion (I finish with back leg raised to counter balance me leaning forward), aim focused on one particular chain link (which goes higher and more right as I get further from the basket), curl wrist before putting and flick wrist straight at my link, and a 2-1 rhythm where I take a two second back stroke and one second forward putt. Many tips out there - those are just the ones that seem to get me putting my best. But, the mental - yes! When I am putting poorly, I stop and think about it, and I am always missing the focus on one or more of my four tips! I often forget to pick my link and focus on it, and get more off target putts. Sometimes forget to cock and flick my wrist, which gets me throwing with all arm, and usually my putts feel weak and end up short, or I throw harder all arm then get off target more. But, when I focus on all four tips, good putting comes so much easier! But, still a work in progress, and keep trying to improve more.

I might be the only coach that doesn't teach the "focus on the chain" thing.

I don't disagree with it, but I don't necessarily find it to be a good focus que.

I teach people to focus on where the putt will land on the ground if your putting stroke was to put the disc through the basket.
This lets your head automagically calculate the power necessary to get the disc THROUGH the basket. not "to" the basket.

I wonder if that overfocus is one of the things that causes some people to have the yips too.

I wonder if that overfocus is one of the things that causes some people to have the yips too.
That's my problem. I'll shoot 950+ all day, no problem. When I get to a tournament, my brain spazzes out.

On putts, I notice that I tense up, especially my shoulder, trying to be too careful aiming. Sometimes, I can get myself to loosen up. Most of the time, I'm short and right

I don't disagree with it, but I don't necessarily find it to be a good focus que.

I teach people to focus on where the putt will land on the ground if your putting stroke was to put the disc through the basket.
This lets your head automagically calculate the power necessary to get the disc THROUGH the basket. not "to" the basket.

I aim thru the basket but ignore what could happen if I miss. When I'm missing I feel like it's entirely a pace thing. I find it most accurate to slam putts vs touchy old guy floaty putts.

I aim thru the basket but ignore what could happen if I miss. When I'm missing I feel like it's entirely a pace thing. I find it most accurate to slam putts vs touchy old guy floaty putts.
Commentators in a recent tournament or just talking about this how putting has evolved to more pace.

I've heard Gannon's specifically say before that temping down a putt is really hard. You have to have perfect rhythm.

Interesting que, I'll definitely try it out.

What about dreaded death putts. You know those if you miss you'll be 100 feet down a cliff. Not sure I'll be running those if I imagine the landing zone 😅

Interesting que, I'll definitely try it out.

What about dreaded death putts. You know those if you miss you'll be 100 feet down a cliff. Not sure I'll be running those if I imagine the landing zone 😅

I am an odd duck, I switch putting styles for that putt.

I switch from my normal putt to a really weird push putt style.
Versitility.

You dont have the accuracy of your normal putt when you add those tricks to your bag, cause you dont practice them much.
But bag of tricks sort of thing.
You give yourself the chance to get it, but also give yourself the chance to not have an 80 foot comebacker sorta thing.
You get like a 5 foot tap in.

Sometimes I'll do an underhand on a death putt too.

It's about choosing a method that lets me control the disc if I miss vs air balling and being way long.

I'm probably weird, but I honestly don't understand aiming for a chain or for the basket itself in general.

How far away are y'all before the disc has to go above the band for a putt? For me, at 20' Im gonna be putting the disc higher than the band at the apex of the flight. I 'aim' for that pocket of air lol.

I'm probably weird, but I honestly don't understand aiming for a chain or for the basket itself in general.

How far away are y'all before the disc has to go above the band for a putt? For me, at 20' Im gonna be putting the disc higher than the band at the apex of the flight. I 'aim' for that pocket of air lol.
At 20 feet I can aim at a middle height link when using more pace, or 2-3 links from top when using more loft. So I don't aim at band until close to edge of circle and above band when further.

However, when doing more of a linear spin style even at 40 feet I might be aiming at a high link because the putt trajectory is less steep of an arc so it rises for longer.

For nose up I literally aimed (arm swing angle) at the bottom of the basket in my vid from 50 feet but that's because I was really trying to force myself to have to putt nose up for the height instead of launch angle for the height.

At 20 feet I can aim at a middle height link when using more pace, or 2-3 links from top when using more loft. So I don't aim at band until close to edge of circle and above band when further.

However, when doing more of a linear spin style even at 40 feet I might be aiming at a high link because the putt trajectory is less steep of an arc so it rises for longer.
I do understand the concept, but when you say 'aim' what do you mean? Just a focus point?

I'm just curious at what distance your actual disc has to go above the band to make the putt. I don't question the methods being presented here, I think our brains are all capable of figuring this out in different ways. I just always find that I throw too low, too often when I have tried aiming at the basket itself.

Update: I used my home basket with measured distances to verify…. At 20' I barely move my link up and right from dead center. At 25-30' I move my focus/aim link up and right. Much past that, and I start to aim at the top right corner of the basket. By 40-50' my aim is above and right of the basket, plus at that distance I get so I can't see individual links any more anyways.

Last edited:
I do understand the concept, but when you say 'aim' what do you mean? Just a focus point?

I'm just curious at what distance your actual disc has to go above the band to make the putt. I don't question the methods being presented here, I think our brains are all capable of figuring this out in different ways. I just always find that I throw too low, too often when I have tried aiming at the basket itself.
I'm a chain-link-aimer, and I think "focus point" might be accurate. I don't focus on a link with the intent to throw a dart right at it. It's also considering the line the disc needs to get to that link which will vary with distance, stability of putter, etc.

For example, if I'm throwing a baseball or football with the intent to hit the receiver in the chest, I don't aim at some airspace above the receiver. I aim at the chest and, through deep understanding of how I throw a ball, adjust my trajectory to hit my target.

Similarly with putting. I aim at the link I want to hit and adjust my trajectory (typically up and right) as I move farther away from the basket

Updated: I focus on and aim at a particular link, which is my target. From 20' in, pretty well centered for height and side to side. At 25-30', I am starting to move that link up and right, with idea my putter/disc will hit about centered. At 35-40', I aim near upper right corner of basket, hoping disc will drift down and left to near center. Beyond 50', I am starting to aim, focus on, and throw at a spot slightly above and right of the basket, again hoping to drop down and left to near center. I putt slightly nose up, naturally, so my putts probably go higher just from my throw than someone that putts level or nose down.

Last edited: