• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Portland/Eugen/Coos Bay?

PEPSIFLAME

Good morning(relative),

I'll be taking a trip June 10-17 to Oregon. Plan is to fly into Portland, drive along Highway 5 to about the Eugene area(I'm interested in Umpqua National Forest) for a couple days, and then catch a side road West towards the coast. We'll then be driving North along the coast until we get back to Portland to fly out. Should be in Portland the last 2-3 days there. Bear in mind this is a very loosely planned trip, but it'll be fun.

My question for anyone in that are is what are some must hit courses. I'm thinking we may be able to get 2-3 courses in while we're there, depending on how much time we spend hiking(probably 2 days) and how long it takes to drive from place to place(plus whatever else we do).

Also, since this is loosely planned, please feel free to suggest things to do while we're there. Umpqua(Toektee Falls, specifically) is my only real plan.

Milo McIver is the must-play. Pier is the great park in Portland. Horning's is incredibly special.

Might help to know your skill level for recommendations -- your profile says you've been playing a couple months?

Milo McIver is the must-play. Pier is the great park in Portland. Horning's is incredibly special.

Might help to know your skill level for recommendations -- your profile says you've been playing a couple months?

Yeah, I've been playing for about 2-2.5 months every weekend. I tend to drive about 200-225 ft, I'd guess, but very inconsistently and it may not always be accurate. Working on it and having fun.

Yeah, I've been playing for about 2-2.5 months every weekend. I tend to drive about 200-225 ft, I'd guess, but very inconsistently and it may not always be accurate. Working on it and having fun.

In that case I would play the Canyon and Highland courses at Hornings (give the Meadow Ridge course shot if you like, but be prepared for a bit of a beatdown.) Pier Park in Portland will be a good challenge for you, but not too much and it is a very special place. Milo McIver will be a very long course for you, but I still think it is worth the experience. It is among the finest and most beautiful courses you will find anywhere in the world. PLAY THE SHORT TEES or you will really struggle if you're throwing those kinds of distances.

I used to live in Oregon, but it was before I took up disc golf, so I have no experience with the courses there other than McIver, Champoeg, and Wheatland, which I played during a visit last year.

At my skill level (I'd like to think I'm intermediate-level, but realistically I'm more like rec-level) McIver was impressive more than it was fun. If you want an amazing disc golf challenge in a beautiful setting, definitely play McIver, but be prepared for a poor score and lots of tough throws.

Champoeg and Wheatland are both not too far off Interstate 5 between Portland and Salem and are much more beginner-friendly. Both were fun. I especially enjoyed Wheatland.

You'll probably go from the coast back to Portland on Hwy 26, which takes you relatively close to Horning's. It'd be a no-brainer for me if I were practically driving by it like that.

Non-DG stuff: My favorite spot on the coast is Oswald West State Park. There's nice hiking and a lovely little beach hemmed in by fabulous cliffs and trees.

If you do take Hwy 26 back into Portland, Camp 18 is a fun place to stop. It's a restaurant in a big log building with a bunch of old logging equipment, everything from axes to a steam crane. The food is your average diner stuff, nothing special but perfectly fine.

In that case I would play the Canyon and Highland courses at Hornings (give the Meadow Ridge course shot if you like, but be prepared for a bit of a beatdown.) Pier Park in Portland will be a good challenge for you, but not too much and it is a very special place. Milo McIver will be a very long course for you, but I still think it is worth the experience. It is among the finest and most beautiful courses you will find anywhere in the world. PLAY THE SHORT TEES or you will really struggle if you're throwing those kinds of distances.

Thanks for the input, man. Disc golf really wasn't part of the trip going in, but when I picked up my first disc a couple months ago, I knew I had found a sport I loved.

I used to live in Oregon, but it was before I took up disc golf, so I have no experience with the courses there other than McIver, Champoeg, and Wheatland, which I played during a visit last year.

At my skill level (I'd like to think I'm intermediate-level, but realistically I'm more like rec-level) McIver was impressive more than it was fun. If you want an amazing disc golf challenge in a beautiful setting, definitely play McIver, but be prepared for a poor score and lots of tough throws.

Champoeg and Wheatland are both not too far off Interstate 5 between Portland and Salem and are much more beginner-friendly. Both were fun. I especially enjoyed Wheatland.

You'll probably go from the coast back to Portland on Hwy 26, which takes you relatively close to Horning's. It'd be a no-brainer for me if I were practically driving by it like that.

Non-DG stuff: My favorite spot on the coast is Oswald West State Park. There's nice hiking and a lovely little beach hemmed in by fabulous cliffs and trees.

If you do take Hwy 26 back into Portland, Camp 18 is a fun place to stop. It's a restaurant in a big log building with a bunch of old logging equipment, everything from axes to a steam crane. The food is your average diner stuff, nothing special but perfectly fine.

I appreciate the input on courses. However, I'm now throwing Oswald State Park on my trip plans, as well. :) I've been trying to find a place to take pictures that is up on a cliff, looking out over the ocean. All of us will have DSLRs, GoPros, and cell phone camers running at all times and we're planning to edit together a documentary of the trip. Trying to get all kinds of scenery included(mountains, waterfalls, hiking trails, beach, cliffs, etc...), as well as, some cool local attractions in addition to disc golf. Camp 18 sounds like it'll fill out the "local attraction" part a bit.

For the Eugene leg of the trip, I would be happy to give you a tour of the Stewart Pond course, if you'd like. :) The other popular course in the area is Dexter (about 17 miles east of Eugene).

Heading out from Eugene, depending on which route you go, there are more close options. If you head south, the course in Cottage Grove (North Regional Park) is right next to I-5. If you head west (toward Florence) instead, there are a couple private courses close by that you might be able to play: Camp Serene (Noti), and Bear Creek (Cheshire).

Dexter is a GREAT course. Adair is solid too, on the way from Portland to Eugene.

It wasn't mentioned here yet, so be sure to note that the Beaver State Fling NT event is at Milo McIver this weekend. It's an awesome event to watch, of course, but you wouldn't be able to play the course this weekend.

If you do make it down to Eugene and are interested in playing a round somewhere, let me know. :) The weather doesn't look good for tomorrow, but Sunday doesn't look too bad so far. :p

Latest posts