• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Possibly getting it?

racer93

Double Eagle Member
Ok. So I was out putting and I thought to myself, "Self, you should try and throw your putters in the yard with just your forearm and wrist, while actively opening your wrist." So I did.

What I found was that the putters LAUNCHED out of my hand with a TREMENDOUS amount of speed, much more than I thought it would! So, I went out to the street where I could throw further to check my d with it.

I went where I could throw 275' without hitting anything expensive. I just did the right pec drill, focusing on accelerating the disc only after my elbow stopped. This effect was tremendous. I cannot tell you how massive this was. With no run up and no effort, I was getting my putters on a hyzer line 275' and could have gone much further (but I didn't want to dent the neighbor's car... :lol: ). The discs pulled against my fingers just like everyone says. The weird thing is that my arm almost automatically accelerated once my elbow stopped. I can't explain it. Divine intervention? Who knows. I just know that tomorrow I'm going to be trying my mids out with it before moving to my drivers...

Just thought I'd share. It was one of those dumbfounding episodes in life that just come out of the blue. All I can say is wow.

Daniel

I don't know if it's divine intervention or not, but it sounds like you had your eureka moment!

Man, I certainly hope so! This has been long in coming (if this is it...). The way it happened was just strange. Like a little voice in my head said, "Try this..." and it worked! We'll see how it goes tomorrow...I *may* let you guys know! :lol:

I only say this because I haven't felt this before. Otherwise, I wouldn't post it to clutter up the board...

Daniel

So, Sunspot and I attended a clinic today (I instructed a few parts) and I got some help with my D. Very small but amazing change was to reach back farther. I did that and instantly gained 50-75' and was getting around 500'! The main instructors were getting 550-600' on their max throws. I couldn't believe it! Most at the clinic were amazed at the difference--it was visible.

Evidently my reach back was not very far beyond my L shoulder. Now for max drives, I'm reaching ALL the way back I can. Massive difference in the speed of the disc out of my hand.

I reached my goal for the year! Yay! Now I have to set another one... :lol:

Freaking awesome man. I'll have to try that as well. I've practiced my timing like a nun. It's time to add some more speed and shoulder turn to the equation.

MrScoopa said:
Freaking awesome man. I'll have to try that as well. I've practiced my timing like a nun. It's time to add some more speed and shoulder turn to the equation.
Thanks! I couldn't believe it. To see my discs only 10 paces (30') behind the big guns was massively encouraging. It wasn't even a big turn or anything. It was a Star Katana that just did a tight, but long, S.

Sorry, I'm just on cloud 9!

I recently changed my reach back as I was doing the same. I noticed a difference in distance right off the bat without even having to measure. When I did measure I gained over 40', but I believe I can throw farther as my timing is off on my run up. I have to now adjust to the much longer reach back.

Sean40474 said:
I recently changed my reach back as I was doing the same. I noticed a difference in distance right off the bat without even having to measure. When I did measure I gained over 40', but I believe I can throw farther as my timing is off on my run up. I have to now adjust to the much longer reach back.
Thanks for letting me know that it's not just me! Jeremy (the guy who told me this) said that when he taught this to his wife, she instantly went from 200' to 275-300' the next throw! Now that's improvement! He also said that even though I've made a massive jump, I can still get more reachback. He said I still have 50-75' left! Yikes! Now THAT'S scary--little ol' me pushing Masterbeato for distance! :lol: Ok, so I have a LOOOOOONG way to go...just joshin' :lol:

patdabunny said:
...The weird thing is that my arm almost automatically accelerated once my elbow stopped. I can't explain it. Divine intervention? Who knows...

That's not magic, nor a miracle, it is called "correct timing."

Congrats on finding it, and especially for still having proper timing with a big reach back!

JHern said:
patdabunny said:
...The weird thing is that my arm almost automatically accelerated once my elbow stopped. I can't explain it. Divine intervention? Who knows...

Congrats on finding it, and especially for still having proper timing with a big reach back!

It's called physics. The created energy must go somewhere and it follows the path of least resistance into moving the forearm. A free lunch. And the forearm is lighter than the rest of the body it'll move faster with the same energy. Once the forearm is straight the same weight reduction and added acceleration occurs with the wrist. The third nicety is the disc pivot after the wrist is stopped.

JHern said:

No, I was just making a joke. I was really referring to finding it as a miracle. We all know how hard or "accidental" it is to find this.

Thanks! It was a great demonstration for the crowd that I went from throwing ~375' on my first couple of throws (not warmed up) to nailing some at 500' with something as simple as an increased reach back. The crowd was behind me--pretty cool! :D

One of the things I've noticed more now is the "roaring" sound that MB talks about when the disc is released. My bosses and katanas do it more than the others, the PDs do it some. Really cool sound as it sounds like some sort of jet taking off! 8)

patdabunny said:
Sean40474 said:
Thanks for letting me know that it's not just me! Jeremy (the guy who told me this) said that when he taught this to his wife, she instantly went from 200' to 275-300' the next throw! Now that's improvement! He also said that even though I've made a massive jump, I can still get more reachback. He said I still have 50-75' left! Yikes! Now THAT'S scary--little ol' me pushing Masterbeato for distance! :lol: Ok, so I have a LOOOOOONG way to go...just joshin' :lol:

I had an epiphany this weekend and found timing and the "hit"...I think. Things are different now since I changed my reach back and I can hear disc ripping from my fingers. I have also been practicing the pec throw that Beato demonstrated in his video. Anyway, the longer reach back and pulling through the hit finally matched up and is syncing. I can feel a major difference in my body now that I'm throwing this way.

I hit that 300' plateau, and then I hit about 320 for a long time, then recently changed my reach back only and was able to hit 360-370. Now that I've found the hit and snap part of the throw along with the extended reach back I'm throwing further...noticeably further. The best part is it almost feels effortlessly compared to when I was just strong arming 300 feet. Even my girlfriend noticed the difference of how I throw now compared to last year. My aunt paced out the distance and said it was about 480' that I was throwing. I have a hard time believing that I gained that much distance "all of the sudden". That being said, I'm going to get my Dad's laser distance finder and measure it for real. Once I get those stats I'll post it and let you all know.

It seems that a longer reach back helped me to find the "hit". I don't if any of you others that have reached this point have realized the same thing or not. Maybe one of our fellow physics disc golf nerds can explain this one. I jest when I say that as I'm a computer/network nerd.

Beyond all this, I still think I can increase my reach a little more...I'll work on that a little later, I want to make sure that I'm getting what I've got ingrained.

That Masterbeato technique/video is fantastic.

Yesterday, after watching the video, I took my wife out to play. She's very athletic, but wasn't really throwning the disc worth a flip... Since I come from a
ball golf background, I know that you should NEVER attempt to teach your wife/significant other any of your hobbies yourself. I took a quick video of
her throwing and then had her watch the "MasterBeato" video on YouTube a few times.

I'm not kidding - she went from about 125-150' average throw to well over 200' almost instantly. She even got some out to at least 250' on the 1st round
after watching the video. The lightbulb just came on for her watching that. It is still a bit unbelievable to me to see the transformation so quickly.

It has also helped me as well. I'm somewhat athletically inclined as well and have just been "muscling" everything until I watched a video of my form and compared
it to the video. I have no doubt better technique will keep me from throwing my arm out as well.

Amazing how a disc can fly with some good technique. It's a different game now...that's for sure.

greenjeans said:
That Masterbeato technique/video is fantastic.

Yesterday, after watching the video, I took my wife out to play. She's very athletic, but wasn't really throwning the disc worth a flip... Since I come from a
ball golf background, I know that you should NEVER attempt to teach your wife/significant other any of your hobbies yourself. I took a quick video of
her throwing and then had her watch the "MasterBeato" video on YouTube a few times.

I'm not kidding - she went from about 125-150' average throw to well over 200' almost instantly. She even got some out to at least 250' on the 1st round
after watching the video. The lightbulb just came on for her watching that. It is still a bit unbelievable to me to see the transformation so quickly.

It has also helped me as well. I'm somewhat athletically inclined as well and have just been "muscling" everything until I watched a video of my form and compared
it to the video. I have no doubt better technique will keep me from throwing my arm out as well.

Amazing how a disc can fly with some good technique. It's a different game now...that's for sure.

I hear you on the part of it being a different game now. I know that today I'm sore in parts of my body that I wasn't before - when I was strong arming the disc. I like to think that I stay in pretty good shape, but I'm using different parts of my body now that I wasn't before. I'm good for 40-50+ holes a day and never really got sore last summer...now it is a different story. If this soreness is the reason for me starting to throw properly...I'm all for it!