• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Post a pic of your favorite "Tunnel Hole"

That oak is on the left side on moraine 18 but there is another dandy on the right that can be a bastard as well

mms_picture-17.jpg

18@Civitan Park in Birmingham, AL (Either I'm having Deja vu, or have I posted this before)
and 17@Wildwood Park in Ottumwa, Iowa
e79bd172.jpg

Damn pretty pic. Looks like a nice place to play in the fall. Late spring to I bet.

It's a nice course, in general. 8900 total feet and I only threw a distance driver 3 times. Everything else was Rocs and Gazelles, all controlled drives through tunnels and tight gaps.

I played it end of November, with no leaves. I can only imagine how much harder it is when the trees are less forgiving...

This is the signiture hole at Bryan McClain Park. Its only 140ft , but don't let the distance fool you. This is a risk/reward hole. Make a good shot, you can Ace it. Miss the shot, and you will end up in the creek

I thought the hole before this one was, IMO, the sig hole at the course. Tee off, making a sweeping left to right shot, and there is the basket, right there up on top of the cliff, daring you to go for it, knowing you might crash and burn into the swamp below it.

view_image.php

Hole 18- Langan Park Mobile, AL

Probably the one of the toughest holes in Mobile.

Drive across a creek in this tunnel. Hole is On a 20 by 40 foot oval island in the middle of a creek.

Park Circle DGC Hole #17 offers a real nice tunnel shot...

but almost everybody I know opts to chicken out and just go around it. LOL

park-circle-hole-17a.jpg

Below is a link to view the Full-Size image of this same picture of hole #17.

http://www.parkcirclediscgolf.com/park-circle-hole17a.jpg

There used to be another tree on the left at end of the tunnel, but it's been cut down now. It was supposedly diseased, but it may have stopped an Ace and someone decided to get revenge + prevent that happening again.

Below is a link to page for this hole (+ hole #8) in a unique 360 degree layout.

http://www.parkcirclediscgolf.com/disc-golf-hole8.htm

that holes alot of fun but its hard to get through that tunnel at hb i usually take RHBH skip off the hill to the right:)

I haven't played an abundance of courses but #1 @ Dretzka park, even from the Am tees, is a tough shot. 337' @ pin placement C, open field for first 2/3 of hole to about an 8' wide tunnel to the basket, blocked and surrounded by trees. If its very windy, good luck. You need to know EXACTLY what your disc is going to do on this hole.

dretzka1.jpg

(Not me in the pic, btw. I used the pic from dgcr's 'photos' from dretzka park, because, unfortunately dretzka doesn't open until may 15... I can't wait! Thanks to timg for the sweet pic! You're the man!)

Funny you chose a pretty much open hole as a tunnel hole at Dretzka when there are some legit and decent tunnel holes to show off:

#2:
4451dddc.jpg

#17:
59bc04c1.jpg

FDR State Park, NY. Hole #5. This site says 411' but the sign at the tee said 500'. It's a par 3 downhill. Basket is at bottom, in a relatively clear area, but "threading the needle" is a challenge. The tight gap is over halfway down and is only about 15ft wide at the most. Feels like 15 inches on the tee.

a81d9e82.jpg

This hole is part of a loop (holes 2-8) that are as good as it gets in my book for textbook golf holes (I suppose if there was 1 more par 4 or 5 it would then be perfect). In fact, I think I will reference these holes in my profile.

FDR State Park, NY. Hole #5. This site says 411' but the sign at the tee said 500'. It's a par 3 downhill. Basket is at bottom, in a relatively clear area, but "threading the needle" is a challenge. The tight gap is over halfway down and is only about 15ft wide at the most. Feels like 15 inches on the tee.

a81d9e82.jpg

There are so many at Beaver and Coyote courses at Lester Lorch Park, Cedar Hill, TX...I have no idea which I love the best. Maybe #10 on Beaver (300 foot, low RHBH hyzer shot with only pitch out to the fairway woods on either side) and 17 and 18 (just because of their early, narrow corridor that opens up afterwards) on Coyote if I had to pick a few of them.

This hole is part of a loop (holes 2-8) that are as good as it gets in my book for textbook golf holes (I suppose if there was 1 more par 4 or 5 it would then be perfect). In fact, I think I will reference these holes in my profile.

I assume you played this course? You're right, 2-8 are all tight, turning, line shaping holes, and several annys to boot. Nothing out of the box here, nor favoritism for right or left handed. I thought this was most interesting in that a 500ft par 3 is tough enough, but you gotta send it through a garage door to get there.

I spun a Roc about as hard as I could to keep it straight and gliding, made it through the tunnel to the bottom....and still had 100ft to go for birdie.

I assume you played this course? You're right, 2-8 are all tight, turning, line shaping holes, and several annys to boot. Nothing out of the box here, nor favoritism for right or left handed. I thought this was most interesting in that a 500ft par 3 is tough enough, but you gotta send it through a garage door to get there.

What is so cool about those holes is most of them require really good risk/reward decisions and then good execution.

For example, #5 shown in the picture above, it is around 500' with around a 40-50' decrease in altitude (my guess - not measured). That makes for an effective length of 350-380'. This risk and the temptation is to go for it and try for your 2! That is the most fun and most challenging and the most rewarding (at least if you make it) choice. Chances are however that you will hit a tree and go deep into the schule and find yourself getting a bogey 4 or much worse. The safe choice is throwing 2 medium power midrange shots and having a much better chance at your par 3.

I really like # 4 too - a shortish but tricky par-4.

A tunnel hole has to have a ceiling...most of these are just tight or wooded fairways.

Latest posts