• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Predict the next innovation!

The RFID thingy is an old idea that the PDGA has specifically addressed in the rules and made illegal. Bottom line is that disc manufacturers want to sell more discs, whish will be hampered by people not losing discs, and when Innova says "jump," the PDGA says "how high?"

How about a disc with an elastomer rim that assumes a faster, less stable shape at high spin, and a slower less stable shape at lower spin. So it fights turn at high speed but doesn't fade at low speed for a super straight disc. Of course, it will be made illegal if anyone besides Innova comes up with it. So let's hope Innova thinks of it first.

jenb - The RFID thingy is an old idea that the PDGA has specifically addressed in the rules and made illegal. Bottom line is that disc manufacturers want to sell more discs, whish will be hampered by people not losing discs, and when Innova says "jump," the PDGA says "how high?"
Interesting theory but simply conspiracy theory. No metal has ever been allowed in approved discs. In fact, the PDGA currently waives that requirement for sanctioned night golf events that use bobber lights. And, a provision is being drafted for the standards to selectively allow metal and electronics for discs approved for night play only. Innova has nothing to do with it other than they will be asked to review the draft as will all other disc manufacturers for comment and revision.

V shaped slots cut into the wing to force air pressure to the underside of the flight plate. This would lengthen the glide. I've heard of this having been done but as of yet have been too busy to try it for myself.

Driving range technology that returns your disc to you. Like a massive conveyor belt or some wind/water powered system that only effects the bottom foot of the field.

In ball golf they have a trajectory system with swing vision by Konica Minalta. For watching live video of the PDGA worlds and such you could actually see the line in which a disc travels much like what you see in ball golf when they tee off. Same principle applies to hockey when they came out with that puck tracker thing. This would be cool to see how Doss, Jenkins, and others throw their discs. So if they had a Force, Destroyer, etc.. then you could see how they throw it, study it, and throw like the pros!

I do not know if anyone has done this but I think they're will be driving ranges soon. And they will have swing analysis soon after that. Just like in ball golf. I would say you can go into the clubhouse and buy 100 throws or discs for so much money. Then take your ticket and go out to the range. They will have some local pros help you and would have mass amounts of each discs available. They would use the "sleepy scale" for each disc and you could go and pick out each disc you want in the exact weight and broken in'ness lol.

hover bags

How 'bout a hover cooler as well.

I like the way you guys are thinking. :hfive:

I was taking the concept one step further.

Hovercouches !
How awesome would that be during slow tournament play.

Like in Wall E
walle-e-humans-in-the-spaceship.jpg

Bags that don't look like insulated coolers.

hover bags

That's what I was gonna say!!!

I'm not a physics guy by any means, but I've always wondered how a disc with weight shifting qualities would throw. Say there was a tube in the rim with tiny ball bearings or some sort of liquid in it.
And off the top of my head, I'm pretty positive they would fly like crap. Like someone else said, you would want weight to shift away or towards the center. And the mechanics of that would make for a highly un-aerodynamic disc...

Last edited:
Something close to an Epic, but easier to control. Conditions and maintenance aren't really part of the course, just something you have to deal with, the SSA will still be high if a pro shoots bad there.

An LED light imbedded in the rim of a champ type plastic putter, would put a new meaning to lining up your putter.

No metal has ever been allowed in approved discs.

Manufacturers add metal salts to discs, but I'm told that's not technically a metal. Glitter in glitter discs may contain aluminum powder, so these should not be allowed per current PDGA regulations.

And RFID chips are getting really tiny. Some are as small as a piece of glitter (see picture). They would have absolutely zero effect on disc flight.

hitachi-mu-chip.jpg

These are passive chips, so you have to be pretty much on top of them to be able to detect them, which makes the technology useless for helping locate discs. It would make for a pretty cool way to organize your collection, though. And once everyone has an RFID reader (future smartphones?), it would be super easy to set up an online lost disc registry.

In fact, someone should market a do-it-yourself RFID chip kit for disc golfers. It would definitely sell to the obsessive compulsive types. And the PDGA should come join the 21st century -- adding something undetectable (but useful) to discs should at least be discussed, not blindly banned outright.

Manufacturers simply have to approach the PDGA with their ideas on why their invention that has electronics or metal should be approved. The main reason for the general metal ban has been concerns that discs might be manufactured with an outer metal rim. Discs with LEDs in the rim and battery in the center are already being discussed for potential approval for night play.

First; a device, like a pitching machine, that can be used to accurately measure the flight qualities of a disc repeatedly. This would aid manufacturers in quality control, and give the consumer more information before they purchase a disc. I know that this is not a new idea but it should be a priority.

Second; like it was said above, RFID tags. I wonder how close you would need to be to your disc before these would actually work though. We use these at work to manage our inventory and even with the giant handhelds we have you still need to be within about 20 feet, so I question whether a small device like a smart phone would have enough power. It could still be invaluable if your disc ends up in some very thick, dense brush or underwater.

Third; indoor courses. Where I'm from there are quite a few old and vacant factory buildings with several hundred-thousand sqft. of empy space. Would love to be able to still play or at least keep my technique fresh when there is 2 feet of snow on the ground. I'm sure it would be a money-losing nightmare unless you could draw enough people, but would anybody else utilize such a place if it existed?

I don't know if it would be legal, but I think a putt and approach disc with a two sided wing (flight plate in the middle) would be great for very windy days. There would be no lift, but the disc would go straight in any wind conditions. It would drop like a stone, so it's effective range would be about 75 feet, but when the wind is over 25 mph it would be great to be able to park it under the basket for a short putt.

Third; indoor courses. Where I'm from there are quite a few old and vacant factory buildings with several hundred-thousand sqft. of empy space. Would love to be able to still play or at least keep my technique fresh when there is 2 feet of snow on the ground. I'm sure it would be a money-losing nightmare unless you could draw enough people, but would anybody else utilize such a place if it existed?

I work at a 1.5 million square foot warehouse, and I'm always looking for lines towards my destination, akin to the previous poster who would love a RHBH to get through traffic. As a fellow northerner (Minnesota), I would love this option, and with our current economic state, it should be something we could utilize. The only problem I see, is that with a large warehouse, you'll have to develop some sort of obstacle construction that is not made from metal (wood, perhaps?) so you don't wreck each disc on each drive.

That's what I was gonna say!!!

And off the top of my head, I'm pretty positive they would fly like crap. Like someone else said, you would want weight to shift away or towards the center. And the mechanics of that would make for a highly un-aerodynamic disc...

Try throwing a hula hoop (don't think I spelled that right but you know what I mean) and that's exactly what this kind of disc would fly like.