• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Premium Aviar Driver

Uh no I saw in mid 2000's everyone that used Discraft and used a Roach for a driving putter would get the Roach in Big Z in early to mid 2006 when Big Z first made it to the market. The Putters I also saw selling were the Premium Champion Rhyno when those first appeared but not for the premium durability reason more for the fact the Rhyno mold was more OS in Champion then DX, Pro was too flexible for a driving/approach putter for most players but not all as my dad loved the Pro Rhyno. The Rhyno mold was used as more an approach disc due to how OS it was for the time as a putter, this was before the Pig came out in early 2008.

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the Roach come out in 2015? You seen guys throwing them in 2006?

What discs are people throwing in SD currently that I won't be able to get my hands on for at least a decade?

Times have certainly changed. Back when premium putters first became a thing, not too many people even threw putters off the tee. Now, it's a common shot to have. A premium putter helps do it better.

rhyno sounds nice dont think i like the feel though box like feel than round maybe a pop top rhyno would feel better

They were not as pop top as the Pro Rhyno is now, in fact some were nearly flat top but few if any were true flat top middle like the DX or some old style Pro runs.

Last edited:
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the Roach come out in 2015? You seen guys throwing them in 2006?

What discs are people throwing in SD currently that I won't be able to get my hands on for at least a decade?

Uh I thought the mold was out, dang what was that mold then and what was the premium plastic?

Oh it was a Challenger in Z or Z flex I was seeing and had the more glazed look to the plastic at the time for that persons Challenger.

I was also seeing in 2004-2005 that and the Putt'r in Z being used before the disc became exclusively the new Soft X as the Soft X version of the Putt'r was crap, a few who did not like how deep the Rattler was but only used Discraft used the Putt'r and more often in Z. Soon after in 2006 or 2007 the Z version of Putt'r was dropped and the mold dropped quick in popularity due to this not that the mold was really popular.

Omega BB from Millennium was/is? made in whatever they call premium Champion plastic. I guess more people like using a mold that has a mini bead to the disc for driving.

The regular Omega aka Small Bead Aviar is made in Quantum/Champion plastic. The Omega Big Bead is not. It only comes in AP which is like Pro, Super Soft like R-Pro, and ET which is XT by Innova.

Star Aviar Drivers are super nice driving putters. I would suppose it would be a nice compliment to a DX PnA or the like.

Innova also ran some small bead Aviars in gummy "champion" plastic (11x) stamp) around 2005 or so. I had a max weight one that was the perfect combination of stability and glide even after 2+ years of playing kentwood (woody, rocky course) every day. I'm still mourning its loss after a decade because I haven't really found a replacement.

Closest thing I've found is an s-line P1X that was run a couple of years ago. I moved to it after beating up a star big bead for 5 years and never quite getting the glide out of it that I wanted -- it seems to fall out of the sky no matter what at about 260'. Super useful in the bag but not the shape-any-line under 300' that the 11x was.

Innova still puts out BB Aviars as CFRs occasionally. I have a glow champion one that I got in a tournament last year that is currently the backup to the Star BB.

The only recent premium plastic Aviar Drivers that I have been able to find are color glow champion and only as TFR discs. They fly about as you'd expect starting off with a mildly overstable flight and defined fade and they beat in to become dead straight. The color glow champion is one of the grippier champ plastics I've found recently and they're wonderful discs year round.