• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Pro Tour Live Coverage

He will probably quit before admitting he was wrong...

He took the wrong strategy to replace the higher-priced, experienced crews. He should have used this season to integrate his lower-priced employees with the experienced crews and gotten the newbies properly trained. That's how it was done in the IT industry.

He took the wrong strategy to replace the higher-priced, experienced crews. He should have used this season to integrate his lower-priced employees with the experienced crews and gotten the newbies properly trained. That's how it was done in the IT industry.

I think his biggest mistake was trying to do this all at once. Like he should have kept SB on the live for MPO and had his crew do the FPO. Or should have had his crews doing PostPro for chase card and let Jomez or CCDG do lead.

Or just focused on one or the other with his crews this year and let the established crew(s) do the other. Like his crews on postpro but SB on live or vice versa...

Whatever he could have done would probably have been better than trying to do it all at once...especially not without any test events...

I think his biggest mistake was trying to do this all at once. Like he should have kept SB on the live for MPO and had his crew do the FPO. Or should have had his crews doing PostPro for chase card and let Jomez or CCDG do lead.

Or just focused on one or the other with his crews this year and let the established crew(s) do the other. Like his crews on postpro but SB on live or vice versa...

Whatever he could have done would probably have been better than trying to do it all at once...especially not without any test events...

Not able to run commercials ... what does that say about preparation?

Well one thing's for sure... I cant wait till GBO...

:popcorn:
There's gotta be quality non-DGPT events covered between now and GBO... I'm honestly not really super-excited for GBO coverage. It was a blast to be in Emporia last year, and I'll go back one day when I can afford it again, but watching golf course disc golf on coverage is rarely fun for me (wasn't a big fan of Vegas or the Memorial either). The wooded holes for WACO, with better coverage - courses like this, awesome. Gotta be some good stuff coming up...

There's gotta be quality non-DGPT events covered between now and GBO... I'm honestly not really super-excited for GBO coverage. It was a blast to be in Emporia last year, and I'll go back one day when I can afford it again, but watching golf course disc golf on coverage is rarely fun for me (wasn't a big fan of Vegas or the Memorial either). The wooded holes for WACO, with better coverage - courses like this, awesome. Gotta be some good stuff coming up...

Yea but GBO will be streamed by smashboxx and they aren't afraid of bad comments. In fact JVD and Terry get in there and mix it up with them...

The next 3 weeks will be filled by Atiers that Jomez is filming. Throw Down the Mountain, Texas States and Nick Hyde:thmbup:

Sorry it took so long to reply.

For me, trying to figure out what's in the camera man's mind, something I can't possibly know, why he didn't move, if he saw the disc or not, we'll that's pretty gray. The OB line is black and white, I can read the rule on it. If I'm over it, I'm OB. If I don't want to be OB, I don't throw over it. If it's my intent is to go over the line and come back in, I make sure I have a clear path. That's my obligation to my game.

Part of my feeling may come from soccer, I refereed for years. I can't tell you the whining I heard about it was or wasn't in bounds. Folks will worry about inconsequential things.

The disc crossed over the OB line, it hit an item in that location and stayed OB. That's the way it goes. I'm not willing to tar and feather some guy who I don't even know over that outcome when the problem was solved by staying IB.

When I said I hadn't seen the throw, I meant I hadn't reviewed it. I watched it live. My recollection was that it came in low and hot. I didn't recall seeing the disc mechanics behind the cameraman, that made it hard for me, at the time, to determine if it would have gone back IB or not. Again, that's irrelevant to me since throwing IB solves the problem.

One other point. I've thrown at folks, accidently, a number of times. I've never yet yelled at them to get out of the way because they are going to impede my discs, I yell at them cause I don't want them to get hurt. It seemed to me that some here thought Madison yelled for the first reason, and not the second. I'd be curious to know what she was thinking, but again, that's one of those gray areas.

Last, it also seems to me that a big part of this is, "Steve hired non experienced guys, and if the cameraman knew his job it misses him.". Well yes. That's a different issue. I side with ccdg and Jomez, theyre better, but I don't think the two issues should be dealt with as one. That is, I'm not willing to say this guy getting hit is a reason to argue for ccdg and Jomez and smash. There are better issues to argue the point. The issues that matter to me are different than those that matter to others. Loyalty to guys who stuck their parts out, took a risk, made a great effort and product is all that matters. Technical issues are way less important.

Fair enough. I don't agree with a lot of your rationale, but that's okay--sensible people can disagree!

So I'm just getting through watching today's coverage after leaving to play some golf in the wind/rain. I just got to hole 17. And they lost audio... and they're skyping back in? They had all winter to prep this - and their software choice for the broadcast team audio was skype? I appreciate any coverage. Sure. I'm enjoying watching some golf. I don't have any real complaints about the broadcast tandem, Nate does a good job of talking from experience. But man... they had all winter to get this together and they're (DGPT) just not ready. Not ready at all.

So I'm just getting through watching today's coverage after leaving to play some golf in the wind/rain. I just got to hole 17. And they lost audio... and they're skyping back in? They had all winter to prep this - and their software choice for the broadcast team audio was skype? I appreciate any coverage. Sure. I'm enjoying watching some golf. I don't have any real complaints about the broadcast tandem, Nate does a good job of talking from experience. But man... they had all winter to get this together and they're (DGPT) just not ready. Not ready at all.
http://captiongenerator.com/1309282/Steve-Dodge-is-a-Disc

Okay, given today events in Christchurch, I agree that this should not be funny. But hitler was a B!t(h, you can criticize Israel without being an anti-Semite, and liberals have to learn to take a Fu(k!ng joke. This is my first time seeing a fake caption thing like this, and I thought it was hilarious (Hitler is being made fun of as much as Steve Dodge). Get over it.

Here's my quick take after skimming the trainwreck FB post by DGPT.

Lots of promising that things will improve. I'm sure they're making efforts but will continue to get hammered for every minor thing that goes wrong.

Lots of insisting that Jomez was made a reasonable offer. It almost comes across like they're blaming the whole lack of quality on Jomez not taking their offer and it sucks because they had to scramble to come up with a plan B.

And here's my speculation on how things really played out...

DGPT used the "watch live" bit as marketing when they launched. DGWT was very up front about preferring post production and got flamed for it, DGPT opted for the live route. In the meantime CCDG and Jomez really fine tune their craft, increase subscriber base, and actually start seeing a bit of money coming in from YouTube views, Patreon, etc. AKA they found a means to make it something sustainable. DGPT says hey lets work together, here's our offer but let's put it on our channel and not yours. The channel and the subscriber base is where the money is, why would anybody creating content not want it on their own channel? DGPT thought live coverage would win out, they chose poorly, and are now realizing they missed the boat on how to actually make money. Too bad so sad.

Paging Jamie right about now to reiterate how post production videos will always have a higher view count than live stream...

DGWT was very up front about preferring post production and got flamed for it
I disagree that the DGWT situation was different. They weren't flamed for wanting post production, they were flamed for Jussi Meresmaa wanting 100% control of DGWT media. To the point of having a European major being shown in a series of highlights with a not very funny "Hat Guy". We got zero full rounds from that tournament.

I don't want to try to describe the other situations Jussi caused at other DGWT events, but it wasn't much different from what Steve Dodge is doing. A better comparison might be they both wanted absolute media control, with Jussi providing high quality video of very little disc golf and Steve providing lots of disc golf at low quality. In the end, I actually like Steve's model better than Jussi's, but I'm still not happy.

Latest posts