• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Pro Tour Live Coverage

Vegas was a PDGA NT event and was covered by Jomez. The Memorial in Arizona was the DGPT debut that did not go that well.

Yes, my bad. . wrote that at work and did not fact check

But still, Jonesboro will be the first DGPT+Smashboxx event. . .but without Terry or the usual Smashboxx cameramen the only "Smashboxx part" will be JVD , and he was at Memorial. . .so whats the real difference?

I hope the difference is that JVD and Smashboxx have more "power" and influence

DGPT's announcement is here... https://www.dgpt.com/news/dgpt-and-smashboxxtv-renew-partnership

The article says "That optimism comes in the form of an about-face on 2019 media plans, and along with that, the decision to re-engage partners that have worked with the Tour in the past. That effort starts with live coverage."

Reading this, it sounds like they will attempt to bring back post production partners too. Smashboxx is just the start. Next day coverage for Jonesboro is credited to Par Save Productions.

Some thoughts.

JV does two things (as I understand it, and I know he will correct my mistakes, :)) First, he manages the feeds that come into his broadcast platform. He decides which feed to use, and inserts graphics, ads etc. Second, he manages the cameramen and process on the ground. "Hey Dude, move to the left by twenty feet, you'll get a better angle. How much of two he does, clearly I can't know. It may be more free form, but he has commented on having communication with them. For sure, Jomez does this too, I've seen it. Of course, the stakes aren't as high for Jomez since they can clean up things in post-production. MOre on managing cameramen below.

It seems to me that Steve tried to take on JV's job. It is a tough job. It is clear that it didn't come out well, no ads, few graphics, if any, in the last broadcast. In other words, managing the shoot, and the feeds with additional inserts is hard to do and thinking you can learn it on the fly is probably a mistake. Add to that, Steve is managing the tour per se. Doing double duty is a fail in such situations. It doesn't surprise me that he is booting back to JV.

Managing cameramen. I suspect, without knowing, that it is primarily Terry that manages the on the ground cameras. John has a listen and might add things, but Terry is thinking, 'this will look good, go here' etc. That's why we lost follow cam integrity. Terry tells his catch cam guys what to do.

Re-engaging JV is essential. If you don't run ads, you're hosed. And if you have no graphics, the broadcast gets boring, especially when the commentators are looking at UDISC and talking about it and the audience can't see it.

We still might get herky-jerky vids, with no real continuity, yes, it is important to watch the landing and relate it to the basket or fairway, but JV will be a welcome reversion.

As always, remember that the DGPT is a double bonus. I want it to succeed, and I want Steve to make money, period. No one has done anything like this and done it as well. Managing the customer to give them broadcasting in a way that makes sense to the guys paying the bills, while making money, isn't something I want to try. That is, thank you, Steve.

WOW...with all the venom that the DGPT/Steve Dodge took I am surprised that there hasnt been more reaction and/or support for reversing course and admitting mistakes. It takes A LOT to publicly admit wrongs, not to mention privately or to oneself, and I am impressed that DGPT can come forward and try to fix the mistakes and problems. Also this is a great example of how to handle oneself professionally/business on SmashBoxx's end. I am happy for all to see this outcome.

Oh, I forgot, the possibility exists that JV also informs the commentators about what's coming up. 'I'm going to post this graphic.' He may also listen to them and give them what they ask for, or material that pertains to their discussion.

Again, we saw Nate and co suffer for a lack of this kind of input which is why I'm thinking John does it.

WOW...with all the venom that the DGPT/Steve Dodge took I am surprised that there hasnt been more reaction and/or support for reversing course and admitting mistakes. It takes A LOT to publicly admit wrongs, not to mention privately or to oneself, and I am impressed that DGPT can come forward and try to fix the mistakes and problems. Also this is a great example of how to handle oneself professionally/business on SmashBoxx's end. I am happy for all to see this outcome.

I just read your avitar and it made me think of the Drake song, "You ask me if I love you, I'm sorry, all I love is my mother and my bed." Only I am now inserting disc golf and like, maybe three people.

Oh herky-jerky vids, they make gimbals for cameras that act to keep them flat while you're walking. I don't know if there is anything like that for the bigger cameras, but for sure they have them for SLRs. If I have to watch another bobbing weaving, I'm walking next to a pro, video, I'm gonna puke due to motion sickness. :D

I just read your avitar and it made me think of the Drake song, "You ask me if I love you, I'm sorry, all I love is my mother and my bed." Only I am now inserting disc golf and like, maybe three people.

I can't take credit for it, it was a shirt on ebay I think...I just enjoyed the quote =)

Fingers crossed, looking forward to when I can watch a DGPT event again. One small step forward after a half mile jog backwards this off-season. Suffering through the amateur hour Memorial coverage was not an experience I was willing to do again.

Good First Step

It is encouraging that SD is acknowledging that the DGPT media strategy was flawed in execution (and perhaps in design).

This should get live coverage headed back in the right direction.

But the post-produced coverage is where the bigger issue lies; it is how most people consume the disc golf product and thus where the bigger money resides.

It is also most people's real issue with the DGPT media strategy.

If SD negotiates a deal with either CCDG or Jomez then I'll be satisfied.

However, if SD decides that he still wants post-produced coverage in-house and will try to improve their product as they go, then I will not be satisfied.

It is encouraging that SD is acknowledging that the DGPT media strategy was flawed in execution (and perhaps in design).

This should get live coverage headed back in the right direction.

But the post-produced coverage is where the bigger issue lies; it is how most people consume the disc golf product and thus where the bigger money resides.

It is also most people's real issue with the DGPT media strategy.

If SD negotiates a deal with either CCDG or Jomez then I'll be satisfied.

However, if SD decides that he still wants post-produced coverage in-house and will try to improve their product as they go, then I will not be satisfied.

I agree that the bigger issues DGPT has had are with post-production. However, maybe this frees up some of their media team to work on that and improve it? Trying to be optimistic here. Glad to see some admitting of mistakes and attempts at course correction.

Yes, we are still using the DGPT cameramen. I am not going to pretend that the next show is going to be perfect, but the cameramen are getting better and I do think that with some good communication on my part, we can improve the broadcast. And that improvement will hopefully shine on the live and roll down to the post production as well. If I didn't believe that, SmashBoxxTV would not have re-partnered with the DGPT.

Lyle, you are correct that my job entails switching the streams that are being fed in, communicating with the cameramen as to when they are live and when they can move, informing the booth of pending commercials and replays, pushing graphics, instant replay, commercials, & some technical support when needed. I get great assistance from Gary "to the" O on some things as well. Obviously our hope in the future is to begin off loading some of the duties but as with everything disc golf related, we all wear many hats.

Terry will have a few different jobs depending on the event. There are weekends when he will be a sideline reporter, interviewer, and help coordinate things on the ground; and there are weekends where he will be in the booth making his lame jokes.

Yes, we are still using the DGPT cameramen. I am not going to pretend that the next show is going to be perfect, but the cameramen are getting better and I do think that with some good communication on my part, we can improve the broadcast. And that improvement will hopefully shine on the live and roll down to the post production as well. If I didn't believe that, SmashBoxxTV would not have re-partnered with the DGPT.

Lyle, you are correct that my job entails switching the streams that are being fed in, communicating with the cameramen as to when they are live and when they can move, informing the booth of pending commercials and replays, pushing graphics, instant replay, commercials, & some technical support when needed. I get great assistance from Gary "to the" O on some things as well. Obviously our hope in the future is to begin off loading some of the duties but as with everything disc golf related, we all wear many hats.

Terry will have a few different jobs depending on the event. There are weekends when he will be a sideline reporter, interviewer, and help coordinate things on the ground; and there are weekends where he will be in the booth making his lame jokes.

I love the casual listing of enough items to make my hair turn gray and fall out. Okay, it's already gray and falling out, so those items would just finish the job my kids started.

p.s. having once been the butt of a Terry lame joke, I have nothing but the greatest respect for them.

Thanks JV

Awesome! Congrats! As much as I enjoy watching both Nate & Val playing disc golf, they were....well...I'm just glad things are hopefully improving.

Just great! And we can all start a drinking game. Every time Nate says, T-dog, or Terr-bear, or T-whatever drink! :wall:

Sorry, those two together annoyed the crap out of me last time.:gross:

Not everyone likes fun, funny, enjoyable humorous things....its ok =)

Instead of running the risk of sub par live shows due to low resources, Dodge should consider putting all of his resources into just live streaming the final round, but making sure it's one hell of a good show.

The DGPT really needs to stabilize a good commentary team for the live show, and the same team throughout the entire season. I think Terry & Dixon could have been this team if they dialed back some of the attempts at humor. I know some peeps don't agree.. but generic "Jim Nantz" type commentary works because it's neutral. You're not focusing on the commentator, waiting for witty comments or jokes, you just want him to report on the action taking place. Nate Sexton comes very..close to this but he's not big on working with Dodge it seems.

And wth...show the frickin top 10-20 scores after each hole is done. Show the scores, mention a few movers, cut to a break. Why is this so hard to do...year after year!?!?! :wall:

Latest posts