• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Prodigy Disc Thread v2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just about the ONLY thing I know beyond the intro video (and I haven't seen it mentioned here yet) is that only the first 100 retailers to contact Prodigy will be able to order upto 50 of the D1 and 50 of the D4. This is what Prodigy told me - Not that they can't change their minds.

So to ManU's comment, yes I think these things will be rare.

Justin, just out of curiosity, how does that limit compare to the Lace when you had to order them from Vibram?

My understanding is the target market isn't the casual golfer, rather the competitive one.

^^This is what I ment basically whether it actually transfered from brain to finger tips is awhole different story!

With regards to the posts saying the plastic feels like the reincarnation of CE.....I disagree. I'm not saying the plastic doesn't feel good, just doesn't feel like CE. At least that is my opinion. I felt two different plastic types, FWIW.

yeah, it's pretty clear that their marketing to competitive players. I don't mind either way. I am in no way competitive nor will I ever be. I love the pure enjoyment of the sport and the fun that it brings me

Justin, just out of curiosity, how does that limit compare to the Lace when you had to order them from Vibram?
FYI: (I'm absolutely not going to answer anything about "Will you/Community have these" as it would be inappropriate to promote my site on here.)

To answer your question the only limits I've ever seen were 40 Laces for the initial Vibram release but that was due to low supply and they were sorry to have to do that. Other than that it's just Innova with their first-run stamps with 25 or 50-disc limits. I'm not aware of any other companies restricting orders like that.

It's scary have fast this thread is going.

FYI: (I'm absolutely not going to answer anything about "Will you/Community have these" as it would be inappropriate to promote my site on here.)

To answer your question the only limits I've ever seen were 40 Laces for the initial Vibram release but that was due to low supply and they were sorry to have to do that. Other than that it's just Innova with their first-run stamps with 25 or 50-disc limits. I'm not aware of any other companies restricting orders like that.

It's scary have fast this thread is going.

So, on a comparitive level, these are on par supply-wise with the first run of Lace and Innova First Run stamps?

Am I alone in this basic logic?

company develops before public launch for say, 2 months
company publicly launches 3 days ago
=
company is not 3 days old, it's 2 months and 3 days old

All I'm saying is, there are a lot of posts about "Whul they're only single-digits-days old, what do you expect?" I expect the company existed in private for a while, and I'm right (reference pablo quote in sig).

Either believe that all concepts, contracts, collateral, and development began on 1/1 like magic -- OR -- recognize that this company has been in development for a significant three-digit number of days.

No comment on the actual state of Prodigy right now. My comment is solely that they aren't 9 days old.

So, on a comparitive level, these are on par supply-wise with the first run of Lace and Innova First Run stamps?
I'd add that it sounds like there's a restricted number of retailers too. That's new but you can compare it to Vibram's Pinnacle dealers who get new discs fors for a month before the lower-level.

There's an implied "We'll just have to wait and see..." on the end of all of my posts.

My understanding is the target market isn't the casual golfer, rather the competitive one.

They might want to make sure that the competitive golfer will like their product - but there is no way they can run a disc pressing business on the competitive golfers primarily. They would not start the manufacturing unless they were aiming at everyone.

They might want to make sure that the competitive golfer will like their product - but there is no way they can run a disc pressing business on the competitive golfers primarily. They would not start the manufacturing unless they were aiming at everyone.

This. If their target market is not the casual disc golfer, they won't grow well.

I think they are making sure the competitive golfer will like their product.. how many guys did they sign/have backing them that are competitive?

=

All I'm saying is, there are a lot of posts about "Whul they're only single-digits-days old, what do you expect?" I expect the company existed in private for a while, and I'm right (reference pablo quote in sig).

Either believe that all concepts, contracts, collateral, and development began on 1/1 like magic -- OR -- recognize that this company has been in development for a significant three-digit number of days.

No comment on the actual state of Prodigy right now. My comment is solely that they aren't 9 days old.

This is very true. But i'd also counter with the fact the Prodigy told us exactly what they're rolling out and when, and has yet to deviate from that. It's not like when we "hear" about a new MVP release and hold our breath waiting for release info.

Prodigy made themselves known on Jan. 1st. Said, "This is who we are. Here is what we hope to do with our discs by Spring." And that doesn't seem to be good enough for some people. I'm just curious as to why.

I'd add that it sounds like there's a restricted number of retailers too. That's new but you can compare it to Vibram's Pinnacle dealers who get new discs fors for a month before the lower-level.

There's an implied "We'll just have to wait and see..." on the end of all of my posts.

And, I swear, I'm not trying to 'corner' you into anything. I was just curious because I don't recall seeing a huge uproar about the initial availablity of the Lace. Certainly not to the extent that I've seen here about their D-line.

=

Their existence was formally announced 9 days ago. Better?

This. If their target market is not the casual disc golfer, they won't grow well.

Disagree. Just because you base your marketing and product development on the needs of one segment of the DG population doesn't mean that is the only segment that buys. The newer guys see the local pros throwing these frisbees, and they take note.

- Group of chuckers sees someone crush a 500' drive

- Chucker: "woah, what disc was that, bro!?!?"

- Local Pro: "Its the new D3, dawg."

- Group of chuckers goes to local shop and buys D3s

Last edited:
Before they pros started throwing these they were throwing stuff thats currently made by all legit companys in our bags. Look like there will be tons of room for discraft to pick up some new guys/gals.

=

Basic logic? You know that's not allowed on DGCR. :D

And, I swear, I'm not trying to 'corner' you into anything. I was just curious because I don't recall seeing a huge uproar about the initial availablity of the Lace. Certainly not to the extent that I've seen here about their D-line.

there is a difference though
(and I'm not knocking the company)

Vibram was already established with a line of discs

not "hyping themselves" (and I put that in quotes because I am not saying that they are but that is a suggestion by some on the way that the announcement went down) without a product available

granted the Lace might not have been available in large initial numbers but there was a Vibram product line available

I don't think Prodigy did much "hyping themselves". I think these message boards took care of that for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts