• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Prodigy Disc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it just me, or does it seem that we are still resistant to accept that Prodigy isn't still just conceptual? Like we don't believe Prodigy is actually a formidable entity in the sport. Maybe it's still their responsibility to convince us so. But I think the small size and unexploded mainstream potential of disc golf keeps us from accepting that someone out there actually has their stuff together other than Innova and Discraft. And this comes from the fact that the sport has historically been propelled and kept alive primarily by pure passion of the people who love disc golf, not the profitability of the businesses involved. What I really mean is that Prodigy may have transcended the "start up" mentality and has way more than just a financial foundation for disc manufacturing. We're all too focused on the money.

I think there is much truth here......

Perhaps if they didnt make such a big deal out of building it up then do nothing more than announce 4 discs that cant be bought plus announce a handful of pros who have joined thier team, then maybe there wouldnt be the negativity.
We built it up. WE did this. We are not the dreamers of the dreams.

I wasn't around for the big pro signing of Cam Todd, MJ, etc from Innova to Discraft. Was it anything like this, or was it done to help legitimize their existing lineup of disc golf products?

Perhaps if they didnt make such a big deal out of building it up then do nothing more than announce 4 discs that cant be bought plus announce a handful of pros who have joined thier team, then maybe there wouldnt be the negativity. A company announcing a new disc lineup does nothing to promote the sport any more than a disc company going out of business (unless it was innova or discraft) hurts the sport. Also, i find it humorous that you would refer to someone that isnt worked up into a frenzy about this "huge" announcement as hating. Maybe you should take off the fanboi goggles and see it for what it really is instead of making a statement like "Support any DG company that comes out with a solid plan", particular when you don't know anything about how solid thier plan is (one might argue that releasing 4 wide rimmed drivers for a first offering isnt a very solid plan, especially compared to what DD did)...

lol

why would any of you think that this would be the part that changed disc golf?....

Its still a business, they still need to sell products. Hype, and anticipation are ways to facilitate that. I dont really understand the negativity by some of you guys. I could understand not caring really, or it not being a big deal for you. But the negativity is weird.

lol

why would any of you think that this would be the part that changed disc golf?....

Its still a business, they still need to sell products. Hype, and anticipation are ways to facilitate that. I dont really understand the negativity by some of you guys. I could understand not caring really, or it not being a big deal for you. But the negativity is weird.

I agree with this wholeheartedly!

Although it was amusing they "released" four high-speed discs, I assume they will have more coming in the future....it is still only Jan 1st.

Is it just me, or does it seem that we are still resistant to accept that Prodigy isn't still just conceptual? Like we don't believe Prodigy is actually a formidable entity in the sport. Maybe it's still their responsibility to convince us so. But I think the small size and unexploded mainstream potential of disc golf keeps us from accepting that someone out there actually has their stuff together other than Innova and Discraft. And this comes from the fact that the sport has historically been propelled and kept alive primarily by pure passion of the people who love disc golf, not the profitability of the businesses involved. What I really mean is that Prodigy may have transcended the "start up" mentality and has way more than just a financial foundation for disc manufacturing. We're all too focused on the money.

In some regard, it is still conceptual. Yes, there are names and faces, but no product for mass consumption yet. Also, with all the talk of "big things" still to come in '13, a lot of conceptual is still floating around.

According to the PDGA Technical Specifications:

(14) be of a production-type disc available commercially to the public in numbers of at least 500;

The discs are now on the PDGA approved list, so where are they?

I am looking at this from a strict business point of view and as a business owner with well over 20 years under the belt. All I see is overhead at this point, with yet a single disc being sold (that I know of). R&D takes lots of money as does start up, marketing etc. Traditionally, huge start-ups, crash in a big way. Slow ramp-ups are not only prudent, they work. I will readily admit, I don't know the whole situation with them....but it appears they have jumped head first into the pool without filling it completely first...from a pure business perspective, completely free of excitement or emotion.

Look at DD. They had an organization set up already. They already has the mechanism established to support the team and eventually, their own discs. Prodigy, at first glance, has none of these factors at all...and admittedly, this is "first glance". Personally, I hope they can pull it off. I like it when people take control of their own destiny and chart their own course as I have. But as someone that has been there, their course so far is troubling.

According to the PDGA Technical Specifications:

(14) be of a production-type disc available commercially to the public in numbers of at least 500;

The discs are now on the PDGA approved list, so where are they?

Almost every disc in recent memory has been approved long before a full production run, so I think the assumption is that 500 discs will be coming. They just aren't produced yet.

Pwingles my man, I think it's time for you to start spilling some of those beans.

I don't have any I wish to spill.

But I find it odd that some of you think that their way of change starts and ends with them starting a new company and getting paid.

Yes, its a step, but isnt it reasonable to assume that some of these guys have the best interest of the game and its future in their thoughts and plans? Some of these guys really care about disc golf. Not just from the aspect of a broke DG pro touring all year or whatever either. There are things that need to change and or improve for DG to move forward (see every thread about DG's future on DGCR), from touring life, to tournaments in general, sponsorship, funds within the sport, plastics and disc technology and everything in between. I think these people intend on trying to improve DG any way they can. Im sure they have more specific plans, and those plans may change or evolve over time. But I think they mean it when they talk about these changes because they care about it legitimately.

I've heard unconfirmed rumors that Legacy is a front company for a fairly large German conglomerate, which has deep pockets, and expertise in manufacturing.

Almost every disc in recent memory has been approved long before a full production run, so I think the assumption is that 500 discs will be coming. They just aren't produced yet.

This is off topic, but exactly why I think the Technical Specifications should either be re-written or enforced as they are written. I feel the PDGA is allowing manufacturers to slip by without meeting all of the requirements. If it is truly the case that you don't need 500 discs up front, I'll be the next to have my discs approved. Watch for the big announcement on 1/1/14 :popcorn:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts