• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Progress

fountg

Par Member
Ive been going out pretty regularly and this is where I stand.

I haven't measured this, but approximating from marked tee signs, im throwing about 200'.

I can keep a straight line, but I cant seem to release at the right time, so while my disc flies straight, its always off course 5-10ft.

I can consistently putt from 10ft. I miss 2/10 probably.

ALOT of my throws still have MAJOR HYZER unless I really really really take my time.

I can't seem to control anhyzer shots at all.

Im also noticing, that for some reason, the flight patterns and distances of my Aviar and Shark are Identical. I can throw both in a row, and they almost land on top of one another.

Today I semi-accidentally threw an S-curve, and ALMOST got my first Ace. It was only a 102 ft. hole, and I nicked the top of it.

So, any advice? On anything? At all?

hard to say exactly what's going on. I suggest posting a video so the members of this forum can better analyze your form. Also, are you a Right-handed backhand thrower? or do you throw it a different way? Providing some more details and a video of yourself discing would greatly aid this thread.

I am a RHBH thrower, I dont have any videos right now, next time I go out i'll take one. Does anyone have any general advice to go with what I said?

Ive been going out pretty regularly and this is where I stand.

I haven't measured this, but approximating from marked tee signs, im throwing about 200'.

I can keep a straight line, but I cant seem to release at the right time, so while my disc flies straight, its always off course 5-10ft.

I can consistently putt from 10ft. I miss 2/10 probably.

ALOT of my throws still have MAJOR HYZER unless I really really really take my time.

I can't seem to control anhyzer shots at all.

Im also noticing, that for some reason, the flight patterns and distances of my Aviar and Shark are Identical. I can throw both in a row, and they almost land on top of one another.

Today I semi-accidentally threw an S-curve, and ALMOST got my first Ace. It was only a 102 ft. hole, and I nicked the top of it.

So, any advice? On anything? At all?

ok, so here's your general advice:
right now, you're most likely strong-arming the disc. You need to break out of that tendency as quickly as possible or you'll find yourself starting to make bad adjustments to get the disc to not hyzer. You'll find yourself starting to roll your wrist to get it to hold its line. I'm drawing this conclusion because you say "your timing" is causing the disc to spray all over anywhere from 5-10 feet off the intended line. This only supports the strong-arming theory. I suggest you check out the secret technique here:
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19220

This will teach you what the snap feels like. Also, to begin with you should just be one stepping and throwing and using mostly mids and putters.

One last parting thought: it is not your timing. When you strong arm it, you have to consciously release the disc. When you have snap, the disc rips out of your hand and the aim is almost automatic. When you strong arm it, this also means that your discs aren't spinning very much and most of your discs will go the same distance. You can tell when you're getting some snap because your discs will act more like unique pieces and do what they're supposed to do.

Dude, you're suppose to add 150-200 ft to your distance on the Internet;)

joking aside...
Grip is where it all begins. There are many different grips with different advantages. Which one are you using? Reguardless, you should focus on keeping your wrist in a handshake position.
Learning to pull vs throwing can be difficult but is key to building form that can be tweaked while allowing a mix of stability( throwers may be limited to overstable discs).
I find leaning over instead of standing straight helps me get a feel for pulling.
Even with a one step, you should use your body to fly the disc: legs will twist the hips, hips/shoulders, shoulders/arm.
Aim with your shoulder.
Shortning your reachback and/or reachback will take off a lil distance but add accuracy.
Don't be afraid to take your eyes off the basket- if your body is lined up correctly it'll be alright.
End with all your weight/body over your right foot- spinning like a figure skater.
Follow through! Whip that arm around on a slightly downward motion.

Good luck.

I assume you have thrown a baseball... throwing one far requires your body to become a catapult to send the ball out to a maximum distance... examine all that every part of your body does during the throw... from your feet to your fingers.

Throwing a disc backhand is almost the same principle, but the footwork is reversed (new muscle memory for the brain to learn) and the throw is sidearm. The arm is to be used as a whip (this prevents strong arming it) and the power comes from the legs and body rotation.

The "trick" is in the grip... arm positioning... elbow stop... leading to the "snap" you will read about on these forums. That is the "holy grail" of obtaining big distance... with ease and without injury!

Find the best player that will help you... learn what you can from them, but continue to read these forums for "consensus" advise.

My advise... get your grip (find Ken Climo grip video on youtube), and footwork and body turn down first... that should get you out over 200 feet and somewhat consistent... then refine your throw with the "trick" of learning "snap".

If you work at it, you could gain 100 feet or more by Thanksgiving...

Keep playing and have fun.
Like another poster said find a grip that works for you. Stick to mid-range discs for now. Get yourself a buzz or a roc and throw the heck out of it. Then maybe try a leopard or gazelle when you develop your arm speed and form (this will come from throwing that mid for a while).

I've only been playing this summer. But I would say watch the dan beato right pec drill video on you tube. That is what helped me with a lot of the things that were mentioned so far here. It helped me learn to use my hips and shoulders to turn and get the feel of your core muscles driving your power. The link above for the hammer drill also helped me. I work on the standing right pec drill and the hammer drill back and forth when I'm practicing. I also think it helped me to watch some slow motion video of better players.

Thanks for all the replies. What Im noticing though is that The Climo grip doesnt seem to "work" for me as far as "snap". I feel like when im in the Climo grip If I bend my wrist at all during the throw It either goes up or down, I cant seem to keep in down the middle. I wish I had a camera and id show you guys, but its in the girlfriends car, and she's not home.

Thanks for all the replies. What Im noticing though is that The Climo grip doesnt seem to "work" for me as far as "snap". I feel like when im in the Climo grip If I bend my wrist at all during the throw It either goes up or down, I cant seem to keep in down the middle. I wish I had a camera and id show you guys, but its in the girlfriends car, and she's not home.

I tried the Climo grip a few times, and it didn't work out for me. It's just too much to think about. I know there are only 2 fingers that touch the disc (almost like I'm holding a fork but with my thumb further forward), but I felt like I still had to worry about all 4. Instead I use a 2-finger grip underneath, just my index and middle fingers. When I only have to think about the two under there, I can concentrate more on other aspects of the throw. And I still seem to get pretty good snap.

I'll probably attempt the Climo grip again some day when I'm better, but for now the 2-finger thing works for me.

I suggest taking the advice of everyone on here, then going out and throwing in an open field every day you have a chance. This should get you a better feel for your throw. (worked for me)

my $.02. with the assumption that you are a BH thrower.

1) keep your body upright. most players i help tend to bend over at the waist causing to not get the disc flat on release.

2) keep the disc higher on your windup.

the 2 most common issues i see are bending over causing to release hyzer.

you may not be doing either, but it was just additional advice.

Thanks for the advice. Played a few rounds with jongoff09 the other day and he really helped me correct alot of things I was doing wrong. Now my main concern is getting nose up every time im trying to throw for D.

I could have worded that a little better.

I meant my main concern is I am throwing nose up when I go for D.

I need to Not do that.

Yeah, i should have jsut read your post better, then i would have got it. I sometimes have the same problem as you to lol.

advice....
relax, and enjoy the game...
you are "about normal" for a new player.

if i were to suggest anything, go to one of your really good buddies or course pro and pick his brain (or pay him some $)....

i've learned that you can cut 6 months off the learning process just by learning how to do everything PROPERLY from day 1. Most people find success in whatever method they do but spend many months afterward learning how to undo their method and "do" the right way. The learning curve is very flat if you get the right help from someone that says "just do it this way," or "hold it this way" or.....

*i taught my brother, a complete noob, how to drive 300'+ /- (both forehand and backhand) and be an "everything's par" guy in 2 DG sessions. just by teaching him how to do everything "right" and giving him discs in his proper weight.)

Latest posts