• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Push putting consistency

When you recoil your arm I bring it into the body near the waist and the release for me is straight with a snap.

i changed to push putting as well, but my main concern is mine goes really high then falls in and im not sure if thats right or not?

Ive got a sequence of photos of feldberg putting like a 40 footer at the usdgc, it went pretty high and fell in. I don't think you are doing anything inherently wrong and you are assuring yourself a 2 putt like he said in the vid.

Though I'm far from a great putter, I think my vast improvement with little athletic background may lend some help.

Stop biting off more then you can chew by focusing on every detail. Instead, try and grasp the concepts.

First, balance. Do the balance drills. If you don't have the balance, don't bother working on the rest.

Second, leg timing. With good timing and a balanced weight trasfer, even ugly putts will sink in the circle. Things like nose angle are not the real issue if your balance and timing are off.

Arm movement. Yes, dave and many others don't bend much but you're not there yet. Focus more on timing and finding your "window to the basket". The "spring" will come, focus on the shoulder movement. Comparing dave to cam shows how the sholder trumps arm anyway.

Grip. While I do recomend dave's recomended grip, the front/ back ratio doesn't matter until you have the timing and positions down. While I do believe its key to draining huge putts, in the circle its not nessecary and imo feels incredibly awkward at first. Imo, its really one of the last focus issues.

Nose angle. Most will find a lack of power or range when first learning. Nose angle will help you float it in. Now if your back leg timing or shoulder is off, nose angle will lend little help. If you feel you have those down, start with neutral. I find daves grip easy to adjust nose angle by lifting the bead with the pointer or applying thumb pressure. If hitting the cage, simply apply pressure with the inside part of the thumb knuckle...you should see the front flip up a lil.
Also, don't hesitate to add a lil anny angle. It will almost naturally add the nose up angle while also stretching out the flight a lil.

Hope it helps:)

Why would you want to push putt anyway? Is it the way that you normally putt or is it just something that you want to learn?

If you want my advice....I'm gonna tell you to just put it in the basket. :cool:

Why ? Because it is the most consistent put.

And if you hand out advice like this, then we dont want your advice. Thx bye.

Remember what Dave says in that video about not being slow through the hit.

I echo what people say about balance.

All the power comes from not being slow through the hit, and at the "hit" in a push putt comes when your back leg is off the ground.

No balance = no trust to fire that back leg and putting arm out quick.

Over the last 2 weeks I have switched to push putting, the style feldberg teaches with this video, but I have been having trouble finding any sort of consistency. What are the main causes of inconsistencies in push putting? am I missing something?

I think my main issue is getting it to "pop" or "spring" off of my fingers, and when I do get it to spring, I can't repeat it.

I read through this thread and I don't think I found what your consistency issue is. Are you coming short to often? Left to right? The best hint I've gotten is you don't feel like you get enough spring. So I'm guessing wrist. I can't remember what video it was in but I know that he has said the further out he gets the more spin/wrist he puts on his putt. So when he teaches his push putt he often ends up leaving out information about the wrist/spring comes into play.

Now there is a lot of mess in this thread from short slightly vague answers. I might not be much better... but I have learned that with push putting (as far as feldberg is concerned) try to watch the different videos on it because he changes the instruction often but you begin to catch the key things that stay but they also get hints as to what things you'll need to try to see if it works.

For push putting for me I found the best results by trying push putting for a couple of weeks. Then working through Dave D's snake strike and and wrist action stuff. The reason being that you're actually doing a super teeny tiny version of "Wrist Loading" when push putting. If you watch that above video watch as Cam putts. The camera is a little goofy but pay attention to the 4:35 mark. There is a moment where you can see his hand bounced back and it looks very similar to Dave D's putt in his two videos. Feldberg, Climo, and Avery all do this as well.

Good putters end up having very similar key elements. Here Dave D is doing a lot of what Cam was doing but with less shoulder (its there) and more wrist. There are just a whole bunch of different variations on how much wrist, elbow, shoulder, ect you end up using but you end up using them all.

If you've done push putting a little while try this. I think this is a great base to putt with and then deciding what style of putting you want to use or create.

If you want to see how much pro's actually change their putting during a round depending on the shot check this one out.

If you notice they both vary how much wrist, arm, and legs they use on each one. Even thought Uliberri looks like he is push putting he is really spin putting of you watch the flight paths and his ton of wrist snap.

The final point is apexing... but I'm going to lazily apologize and say sorry I don't actually feel like explaining it right now... there is an article and thread in somewhere on DGR. You could go search for that pretty easily thought.

@craftsman: good tips, thanks

@cfair: I was convinced there was no wrist movement involved? so there is just a little? anyway, thanks, and I'll be at DGR for awhile

That video and all of the info in this article kind of blew my mind. This is pretty much exactly how I putt and I never learned it from anyone. Sure I watched some people putt, but I didn't think about it, my style just kind of evolved over time. And sure I'm not the best putter, but I'm consistent under 30 ft. and will sink some longer ones in any given round. Even with the balance and the hit and slight anny. I just use a weird fan grip where my index finger is on the rim, middle finger is stretched out on the plate and my pinky and ringer finger are stacked on the inside rim of the plate. I get the little spin that my putts carry from my pinky and ring finger and the snap of my wrist.

I think it comes down to practicing it and having confidence in it. I practice a lot of 20 footers just to get that feeling of hitting the chains dead center every time. I'm sure everyones style will vary a little bit, but it's really about consistently hitting the chains. Whatever slight tweaks and details there are become irrelevant then.

After some practice today I think my range issue may be more of an aiming/release/nose angle issue than getting enough power on it. When I am missing low, there still seems to be decent power on the shot. I'm sure it's probably a combination of both probably.

who does anny putting with push putts? I thought Annhyzer putting was almost specifically limited to spin putting? I thought that is why Nikko does a hyzer putt? Because his low swing putt thing doesn't allow for anny with the wrist position.

Do any of you push putters use lighter discs or even lid type putters?

I have a 146 Aviar PNA, 150 Birdie, and 175 birdie. I used to like tossing the heavy Birdie before I "knew how to play". :D

form has got to get to the point of it being repetative,consistant,and me i think,that all putters dont make great push putters

Latest posts