• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Push putting consistency

There are a few natural biomechanical hitches in the motion that push putters use. If you don't know what the checkpoints are and how you use them, you won't get the consistency.

Push putters use the arm swing and weight shift to propel the putt, but the wrist action is a natural consequence of the arm motion. The wrist naturally closes up a little bit from the weight of the disc when there is slack in the tendons then, as it tightens up from swinging your arm out and extending, the thumb pushes down a little bit just as a natural consequence of the tendons in your arm pulling on it. The [very slight] pressure from the thumb push on the index digit line, coupled with the timing of the hit/push on the putt, is what makes the fly with no wobble, a controllable nose angle, and power. The push putt that Feldberg teaches is very sciency. There are a few very specific things that you have to do to leverage your bodies natural mechanics.

Other than that, the disc you use it almost completely inconsequential.

I have also been working on this but I can't seem to shake the wobble when I push putt. From what I am seeing if I increase the pressure of my thumb that may help with my problem but any other suggestions?

(Not wanting to thread jack this just seems like a good place to ask :D)

maybe a softer putter? i find my wobbles more when i loose concentration but when i really focus on my form it looks pretty!:thmbup:

I have also been working on this but I can't seem to shake the wobble when I push putt. From what I am seeing if I increase the pressure of my thumb that may help with my problem but any other suggestions?

I push putt. I think the main point is to release the disc flat, otherwise it tends to fade left, RHBH. There is no spin on the disc to correct this. Also I just comes down to practice. With anything in disc golf, a lot of it is muclse memory, it take a while to get your mind and body to get on the same page.

From what feldberg said, you would need to increase pressure in the back of your grip (pinky, ring and middle finger). Also try activating your wrist more, and make sure the motion is quick. These are all things I've done and have worked great so far

The reason feldberg advocates the firm/loose grip or w/e (70back/30front) is that you need the tendons in your arm that control the thumb to be pretty loose while you are swinging. You probably need to secure the disc in the crease of your hand better, or use your pinky more to hold the disc in place. Then when you swing, the tendon is free to naturally tighten up. When feldy holds his arm out in front of him like that, I believe he is finding the natural catch point of his thumb tendon and calibrating his release point. The thumb pressure just ensures that the last thing to touch the disc is the digit line on your index finger.

I think the main point is to release the disc flat, otherwise it tends to fade left, RHBH. There is no spin on the disc to correct this.

Most push putters use a hyzer putt and the disc does have some spin on it still...it's just significantly less than spin putters and you don't open the wrist past neutral.

I just got a basket the other day, and am really working on the push putt! I just did about 60 putts with a 10 putter rotation (same mold, close to same weight). I only went about 40 out of 60 at 20 feet, but I was actually pretty happy with that for just starting out. I only missed metal on 2 out of 60, which with spin putting I tend to miss metal at least 2 out of every 10.

I tried launching some from 40', but with my current technique, best I could do is park it under the basket. I switched up to more of a Nikko style, to get a better push, and more arm swing, and had much closer runs to the chains, even drained a couple.

I am really thinking push putting is the way to go, which is what I've been thinking all along, but am just now actually seeing that.

I've started to completely rebuild my putting game from the ground up after I missed about a dozen birdie and par putts from 20' and in at my first tourney two weekends ago.

My style more resembled Feldberg but keeping my arm long was giving me more misses to the left and right.

So I've since brought my elbow up and in, my putting style now more resembles Cam Todd or the Blake T. Short-arm. A lot fewer misses, especially to the left and right. And when I do miss I've been hitting at least 50% more chains.

The hardest part about pitch putting is ''finding your swing''. And by that I mean finding that motion that you can repeat over and over and make putts with. I still haven't found it but I'm getting more consistent everyday.

Latest posts