• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putter choices

Grinder12000

Birdie Member
Newbie here - If you have read my other 59 year old thread.

I have a Avair which looks like it is smack in the middle of putters - if I wanted to buy another putter (after watching a youtube video on putting) and not knowing WHAT I like - any suggestions? I don't want to by something the same as I have.

a Roc?

Last edited:
I use wizards but that's only because I have a really good local disc golf store. Judges, magnets, and MVP putters seem to be the most popular after the aviar.

Try Gateway putters.... Wizards are the most popular...Warlocks are most like Aviars.

Wizards are amazing and u can get any feel ur looking for.

Hard to go wrong with a Gateway Wizard...though I personally made the switch to MVP's Ion a couple years ago. And wouldn't switch back. Basically a lot of the same flight characteristics of a Wizard, only it'll hold that truer line/path to the basket for at least another 5-10 feet. My percentage of made putts from 25-35 feet jumped at LEAST 20 percent when I switched to the Ion.

But whatever you get, throw hundreds...THOUSANDS of practice putts. Different distances. Different wind conditions and directions. Different temperatures. Different humidity. Really get to know that putter well. Know how it's gonna fly from 25 feet in a crosswind vs. headwind vs. tailwind.

Make a trip into Madison and stop at Glide-
http://www.glidediscgolf.com/contact-glide-disc-golf#directions
Then pickup every putter and find one or two that feels good.

And while you are there you can play some courses.

Yeah I was going to say, the easiest way to find a putter imo is to pick them up, see how they feel to you first of all. I use a Soft Focus but to you, that might not be the "feel" that you're looking for. Luckily my local shop (Hazy Shade) has an indoor putting room with a ton of putters to check out :thmbup:

Take the advice of going to a shop and feeling some putters, if possible.

But whatever you get, throw hundreds...THOUSANDS of practice putts. Different distances. Different wind conditions and directions. Different temperatures. Different humidity. Really get to know that putter well. Know how it's gonna fly from 25 feet in a crosswind vs. headwind vs. tailwind.

This. :thmbup:

I would be remiss if I didn't plug MVP's putters. If you threw an Aviar P&A (no bead), the Anode is very similar.

If you threw the KC/JK/BB Aviar (with a bead, the little extra ring under the rim), the MVP Ion is the option I'd most recommend.

So go ahead, and shop around. Ultimately, the choice is yours. Good luck with the new addiction! :)

Have to throw my mvp hat in the ring, Ive thrown Aviars, Focuses and so forth but my go to putter this year has been the anode, with the ion as shaped line putter.

omega super soft has been my go to putter for 15 of the last 20 years.

my last 3 however have finally given up the ghost after years of use and that left me in the same spot as OP. living in thailand with no retailers around for thousands of miles makes it difficult to shop for discs.

so, i ordered 3 more omega SS as i'm very comfortable with them, along with 3 of these mvp soft ions and 3 mpv soft anodes.

the box just arrived this morning. extremely pleased with the mpv plastic so far and i haven't even had a chance to throw them yet.

I read a bit of your other thread. You said "discs are not like frisbees", which made me think you probably have experience throwing a Frisbee.

You might be interested in trying an Innova Sonic. They are very close to a Frisbee in flight and feel. They are also nice putters, especially for distance.

1. Feel up a bunch of putters
2. Find one that feels good (preferably a stable putter - Aviar, Wizard, Judge, Pure, Magnet, Anode . . .)
3. Buy a stack of the same putter
4. Practice like crazy

Of the four steps, #4 is the most important. I will say something that you won't believe, but it is true - once you learn to putt well, nearly all putters fly the same within 25 feet or so.

From a fellow 50+ DGer, good luck!

Just get whatever feels best in your hand.

I agree. You are much better off trying to find a local shop or play around with the putters that your friends have. It's hard to just suggest a putter because some people can be particular when it come to bead size. I use to throw a Yeti Pro Avair because it's a great feeling disc. Then I wanted to try the Judges, but it didn't feel right in my hand. Now I'm using the PA4 mainly with a PA1 in the bag for windy days.

Get a Spike. :D

Seriously though even though I'm biased and love my spike I would suggest the Pure. It is right smack in middle of rim depth on putters. If I didn't like my Spikes so much I would be using a Pure hands down.

what is the flight path like for a Wizard compared to a KCP Aviar? Aren't the Wizzies what Nikko and hell, i think i even saw Will using them lately.

Latest posts