• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putter Rounds

I have yet to find a putter that works great as a driver. I think it is because of my form, but I always flip it over and it cut rolls. For so called putter rounds, I use my roc or buzzz, depending on wind conditions.

That's definitely a form issue. Trying something with good HSS stability like an Ion will help you learn to drive with a putter. It's not OS enough to hide form issues but it is forgiving. If you turn and burn an Ion, start over at step 1 on your form.

Also, it helps your strategic thinking. If you can't get to the basket with a putter, you'll want to throw it to the spot which gives you the easiest possible upshot. It's a very different way of working your way through the course.

Excellent!!! As in shooting pool, it's not just about the shot. It's about the next shot.

I have yet to find a putter that works great as a driver. I think it is because of my form, but I always flip it over and it cut rolls. For so called putter rounds, I use my roc or buzzz, depending on wind conditions.

That's very common, and definitely a form issue. I'd highly recommend using neutral putters only for a few rounds and trying to clean it up.

When I tried to drive putters for the first time it was with KC Aviars and I turned them over hard before they got further than 100'. Now I can drive those same putters past 300'. Most people can throw putters in the 200-250' range once they clean up their form. It's a useful shot to have for approaches and short tee shots.

I used to down play the importance of throwing putters, but it really does carry over to the other discs in my bag. Getting good level releases with putters does wonders. Not only throwing putters on tee shots and longer upshots, the distance carried over to my mids and drivers because my form was forced to get clean.

I putter drive and/or long approach with a putter at least 2-3 times a round and play 3-5 rounds a week, hoping that eliminates the need for putter only "tune up" type rounds.

Those guys who threw much slower discs than the rest of the crowd and could ace run with little risk used to baffle me before I became one of them.

The shield is easily my favorite driving putter. I can throw it HARD with slight hyzer and it goes straight and has a little fade. If I ever turn that disc over, its because I screwed up the follow through. Its the first disc that made me kick out my Judge as a circle putter, I love it so much I forced myself to learn to putt with it, and even though it has a stable finish when putting, it makes it much more consistent and less affected by the wind, not to mention it has a ton of glide.

What would be some choices for putter only rounds in Innova? I would like to start playing some and Innova is what I have the most selection to pick from. I also have a Gateway Glo Wizard.

What would be some choices for putter only rounds in Innova? I would like to start playing some and Innova is what I have the most selection to pick from. I also have a Gateway Glo Wizard.

Depends, do you like beaded or beadless? Hard to go wrong with any of the Aviars. If you like beads there is the KC, JK and Yeti Avirs. Beadless, you can get Aviar P&A's pretty much anywhere. I prefer the beaded ones, beadless putters get caught up in the crease of my index finger.

If you're trying to work on your form, I'd avoid the Pig and Rhyno. Great discs though.

Depending on the courses you play and how beat up you want your discs, you may want a champ or star aviar (if you're bent on innova). If you don't care, or want to cycle plastic, the pro aviary would be fine.

I play putter only rounds with premium discs, and find that as I "master" my putters, full-bag rounds see me reaching for the putter then mids for up shots.

Wizard is a very popular driving putter. The Glo plastic feels similar to a KC Pro Aviar in my opinion and they throw fairly similar. Flight charts have the same numbers but I see a bit less fade in the Wizard maybe.