• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putter switch during Summer?

S.Cann

Eagle Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
Anyone have issues using the SSS Gateway putters when it's hot outside? For me it almost feels like it sticks to your hand when it's 90+... Am I alone in this?

Personallly I do switch my putter for the seasons, in the colder months I use SS wizards and when its hotter out I use medium wizards. For me also it doesnt help that I only buy black putters so in the summer the SS wizards are pretty floppy but the medium ones do hold up.

You're not alone. I can't stand super tacky, floppy putters. I used to use Magics and I love that mold but not in love w/ the plastic. Enter: Vibram. Same feel, same surface all year round.

You're not alone. I can't stand super tacky, floppy putters. I used to use Magics and I love that mold but not in love w/ the plastic. Enter: Vibram. Same feel, same surface all year round.

Yep! If it's not really windy, Vibram all the way. I've been throwing a lot of Rhynos this spring. I'm looking forward to the "dead air" of the north Texas "blast furnace" summer! The discs glide in the heat... and no wind makes it predictable. Great for touch putting.

I had an older SS Wizard in the trunk last week. I like its normal soft, floppy feel, but it was almost like cream cheese when I took it out. Might have to throw the firmer Organic in the bag.

Feldberg says in a putting video that's since been taken down that stiff putters = less wobble. Less wobble = longer, straighter putts. I tend to agree with the top rated player in the game ATM.

I've said before on here and I'll say it again...Even if less wobble only equates to 6''-1' just think of how many putts you've missed that just where an extra 1' would smash dead center chains.

My sss wiz feels great reguarless of the weather. Maybe u just got a wierd one.

I have used nothing else to putt with but a Crystal Z Challenger since I discoverd them. So no, I wouldn't change for the seasons.

I like soft magics, but the heat makes them far to flexible, so I am using mediums right now. With a stiffer putter your grip will be more consistent, thus your putts will be more consistent. Not necessarily better, but more consistent.

Ive been considering this but havent needed to yet. I currently use a SS/SSS Black Wizard, and have a couple S/SS Organic Wizards that hold up better to the heat. We broke 110 for the first time today, and will begin to have those kinds of temperatures very regularly in the near future. I still cant decide right now, but probably 115+ Ill switch to the Organic Wiz.

I use the same green proto organic Wizard to putt with year round. It feels great anytime of year.

I switch for the seasons, but my thought process is opposite: I usually putt with stiffer wizards. In the winter I switch to a softer warlock because I find that stiff discs often feel slippery in the cold. Probably a mix of stiff fingers and the mind linking cold plastic to wet plastic. Softer putters don't feel as slick in the cold in my opinion.