• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

putter weight

discspeed said:
175 Organic Voodoo for putting
174 S Warlock newish for straight/slightly overstable shots
174 S Warlock beat to snot for hyzer flipping and turnovers
Sometimes:
175 S Wizard STIFF for windy days and open courses. Drops like a brick.
175 S Voodoo I'm still getting used to the grip on this for driving

a) I'm glad that I'm not the only one using a voodoo for putting

b) How "hard" is the soft voodoo compared to the soft warlocks? (or the organic voodoo for that matter)

c) Lately I've been carrying 3 putters - with a 4th that makes my bag pending on the course.

[*] 173 ss Voodoo for putting and short approaches
[*] 174 m Wizard for drives and upshots
[*] 175 pro Pig for, well, for Pig shots and flicks
[*] 174 s Warlock that is not all that soft, and is typically only carried as a back up to the wizard... but, I love the feel of this one and keep debating switching to it.

I am thinking that if I could find an m Voodoo, that I would use that for drives too - I am a big fan of that disc so far...

mzuleger said:
garublador said:
I carry a:

168g Medium for putting
165g SS (Glow, actually) for...the heck of it apparently, I never throw it
172g Soft for approaches
175g beat Medium (softer) for driving
175g new Medium for driving

Holy balls dude, you carry a lot of putters!

I carry a 175 SSS Wiz for putting and a 174 E Wiz for driving. I'm thinking about picking up a 165ish also though.
Well, the SS rarely gets used and the beat 175 doesn't see much action, either. Mostly I'm trying ot beat up the newer 175g one, but that takes a long time. Putters see the most action of any disc I carry, so having a lot makes sense to me.

discspeed said:
I agree. I throw putters off the tee from about <260', so I carry several depending on the course.

I always carry:
175 Organic Voodoo for putting
174 S Warlock newish for straight/slightly overstable shots
174 S Warlock beat to snot for hyzer flipping and turnovers
Sometimes:
175 S Wizard STIFF for windy days and open courses. Drops like a brick.
175 S Voodoo I'm still getting used to the grip on this for driving

I picked up a few voodoos (soft) and really like the small beat, but I just can't stick more putters in the bag. The wizard/warlock/magic do anything/everything the voodoo would do, so I can't justify it... I love the way it feels for driving. That small bead is smooth.

Jaysus said:
b) How "hard" is the soft voodoo compared to the soft warlocks? (or the organic voodoo for that matter)

The soft Voodoos are harder than the soft Warlocks but only by a small amount. I found the Soft Voodoo and the Organic Voodoo to be almost identical in firmness.

V = W-1
OV = V
OV = W-1

black udder said:
I find that the further you can throw them, the more you carry. They start to become like drivers/midranges - you carry them in stages of wear or for needs.

I can put an APX out past 320 regularly if I have the height available, I still only carry two soft and the hard X for wind...

garublador said:
That depends on the mold, too. I don't know anything about the Reef

The Reef is DGA's run of the APX in Pro-D or UltraCrap (that's what I call it anyways) plastic. Mostly I only throw it in 150 class weights, for downhill or tailwind putts (when it's in my bag), but it's available heavier.

Aaron_D said:
2 165g S Wizards - all putts
2 175g S Wizard (1 beat to understable, 1 stable) - approaches and drives

Why 165g for putting?? I've always putt w/ max weight, but my range is pretty pathetic.

SkaBob said:
black udder said:
I find that the further you can throw them, the more you carry. They start to become like drivers/midranges - you carry them in stages of wear or for needs.

I can put an APX out past 320 regularly if I have the height available, I still only carry two soft and the hard X for wind...

garublador said:
That depends on the mold, too. I don't know anything about the Reef

The Reef is DGA's run of the APX in Pro-D or UltraCrap (that's what I call it anyways) plastic. Mostly I only throw it in 150 class weights, for downhill or tailwind putts (when it's in my bag), but it's available heavier.

A little off topic, but the reef just got approved in sparkle plastic.

166 soft challenger for longer putts
172 pro d challenger for within 30

I finally gave in and started listening to Blake last year and I now carry 2 168 M Wizards for putting and 3 max weight M Wizards for driving. Max weight putters just seem to drop earlier and you don't lose much stability at all when using a lighter weight overstable putter.

same here, Im now putting with a 168g Proto Wizard and driving with two 174's.

I dont find the 168g to be drastically different from putting with a max weight except that they dont drop as fast in the latter part of their flight. The longer the putt the more noticeable this becomes, within 20-25' they fly pretty much the same.

I use 2 170 M wizards for all putting duties. I used to use 165s but they got to disfigured to continue to putt with. Ran out of spots to grip them.

I always use my 165g wizards...even in high winds. Like someone said earlier...if you use a stable mold, you dont need to use a heavy putter in high winds. Im so used to putting with a 165g putter that when I try and putt with a 175g putter my timing is thrown off by the extra weight. This is why I stick to mids and drivers close to 175g. If I am throwing 175g drivers and try and switch to a 165g driver...my timing tends to be off and it takes me a few throws to dial in the new disc weight.

banzai7 said:
Do you all switch back to max weight in the wind?

I don't. At first I thought I would need to but my 168 wizard deals with wind just as well as a 175. I think putting in the wind is pretty mental and you just need to know your putter and your form and know what you can do.

banzai7 said:
Do you all switch back to max weight in the wind?

Not my putter, but I've found a max weight stable mid to be a great gap disc. While I rarely use mids to drive, I find them real handy to approach instead of a putter. Max takes some glide off to make distance easier to nail, and speed 4-5 seems to cut hang time for gusts to mess with it.

I putt 165-167 in winter, and 170-172 summer. Must be a footing thing.

Anyone putt w/ lighter KC Aviars? I putt w/ max weight ones, and I'm thinking about picking up two more in the 168-170 range to try this. My add some D to my jump putt.

Latest posts