• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

putting thread over on dgcr

VictorB

* Ace Member *
saw this thread this morning, can't get any real clarification on what the video that I can't see is saying:

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11704

hopefully someone over here can translate the empty white box for me, and explain the details of it. Chuck said that it isn't a 'rule change' but I don't know exactly what the proper way to follow the rule is (ya know, since I can't see the vid)

My favorite part of this video is when Dave says "Your lie is here. You have the choice to play it anywhere you want."

I haven't been following this on the PDGA boards or anything, which I'm assumming it must be over there somewhere if the PDGA is going to just redefine the way the rules are being interpreted. But the only thing that is new in that video is the requirement of having both feet on the ground to demonstrate balance. It is apparently impossible to balance on one foot, so the rules people have decided that you must demonstrate balance on two feet before you can advance past your lie inside the 10m circle. The whole jump-putt thing is just an explanation of the rule and a demonstration of how to execute it correctly.

Sounds like it's not a rule change, but a definition/clarification change for balance demonstration within ten meters.

Even though someone will still mention it with full conviction, I'm still going to try to block this misconception- it's the balance demonstration that allows you to move beyond your lie w/in 10 meters, not the disc's at-rest status.

I've been thinking about this for the last few days and have one thing that has started really bothering me.

Is there any kind of official channel where the BOD has made this clarification? The rules clearly do not state a requirement for both feet to be on the ground. Do we now have to look to the rulebook, rules Q&A, competition manual, AND things BOD members say on youtube to undestand how the game is played?

I'm not positive but I don't think it will be a general clarification but specific to the NT events where it can be announced by the TD or indicated in the player handouts at those events.

I got a chance to see the video in question before it was yanked. The only thing Curt didn't hit on that I feel is worth mentioning is that you dragging your toe or tapping it down doesn't qualify as both feet down behind the lie. I personally don't agree with how they are interpreting demonstration of balance, but its good to be aware of the rule clarification so that I can practice having indisputable legal putts ... not like I'm competing yet at a level where anyone would call it but I like to follow the rules.

I think a major thing we should be talking about is Jump Putt verse Putt Jump. And if what feldberg said was true pretty much anyone doing a Jump Putt is doing it illegally.

For some reason it won't let me watch the video :( I'd like to see what the video states as a jump putt. Says I have to be a friend of the video account.

Basically, the video says that a legal jump putt is impossible, no matter how you execute it. He also points out that the rule states you have to release the disc before jumping, which people apparently don't know. The basic argument is that no matter how careful you are, it is not possible to release the disc, then jump. Feldberg argues that the only legal alternative is to walk through a putt.

That's stupid. I jump putt all the time and I always release the disc before I jump. I'll have to watch the video now...

I don't know if its impossible but I tend to agree that its difficult to putt first then jump. I also think a lot of walking putts I see, the person steps past their lie before the disc leaves there hand.

I had to switch to a borgish walking putt as I was always unsure whether I was releasing the disc before my feet left the ground on normal jump putts. Most jump putts that I see are done incorrectly so that the feet are already in the air when the disc leaves the thrower's hand. I've done some falling putts now that we have over two feet of snow where I can release the disc as I'm falling forward but my feet never get off the ground. But that's not a very nice technique without the snow.

curt said:
Basically, the video says that a legal jump putt is impossible, no matter how you execute it. He also points out that the rule states you have to release the disc before jumping, which people apparently don't know. The basic argument is that no matter how careful you are, it is not possible to release the disc, then jump. Feldberg argues that the only legal alternative is to walk through a putt.

I was able to watch the video also before it got pulled. I agree with the summary that Curt says. He also says that the walk through putt can be illegal also. Next time you are out watch people putt from outside the circle. I would say 100% of people lunge forward somehow while throwing the disc. Feldberg is saying this is going to be called this year.

He also went into a wierd balance issue. He said at major tournaments there have been people spotting foot faults. He says if you raise one foot off the ground you have to place it back down and maintain balance (no foot taps/or foot drags while moving forward toward the basket). It is wierd he would sink a putt place his left foot down then wait 3-4 seconds before moving.

It really sucks that this video got pulled. Feldberg wasn't just talking as a disc golfer he was talking as a Board Member. Having to pay to watch how our sport is going to be changed doesn't make sense. If anyone if friends with feldberg get him on here. I am sure there are tons of questions we all have for him.

What about walkthrough putts where this might happen. Right foot is the plant foot in a staggered stance, left foot comes off ground and goes forward past the lie before disc is released but right foot stays on ground behind marker until after disc is released and then goes forward past lie. Outside of 10m of course. Is this legal?

thedudeabides said:
What about walkthrough putts where this might happen. Right foot is the plant foot in a staggered stance, left foot comes off ground and goes forward past the lie before disc is released but right foot stays on ground behind marker until after disc is released and then goes forward past lie. Outside of 10m of course. Is this legal?

My understanding of the rules is that outside the circle this would be legal *as long as* that left foot doesn't touch down past the lie before the disc leaves the hand. Outside of 10m, you must have your furthest point of contact behind your marker, until the disc has left your hand at which point you are allowed to make contact with the ground past the marker.

You can actually have your left foot on the ground in front of your lie as long as you lift it up before releasing the shot from outside 10m. You can even do it within 10m as long as it's brought back behind the lie before it touches the ground after release.

Chuck Kennedy said:
You can actually have your left foot on the ground in front of your lie as long as you lift it up before releasing the shot from outside 10m. You can even do it within 10m as long as it's brought back behind the lie before it touches the ground after release.

interesting, didn't know that. as of late though I personally have been working on not doing any kind of jump or walking putt, just so theres no questioning it.