• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putting Tips from a Golf Pro

jppbkm

Bogey Member
So my company just hired a guy who is a golf pro. I have never played ball golf but as he coaches a lot of good players I thought I might hit him up for some tips that might apply to disc golf.

First Tip:
Use a metronome when putting to develop a rhythm to your stroke. Some people hum a tune. Just make sure the timing stays the same and it is easier to tune out distractions and pressure.

My Take:
It seems like this could be useful for putting practice. I tried it out tonight and after finding the right rhythm it felt really good. I have not yet used a metronome but I could tell already that thinking through the number of counts in my stroke helped me focus. I am tone-deaf so I will not inflict any humming/singing on my fellow golfers...though this could be a killer strategy if you picked a favorite (read: annoying to others) tune.

Application for Disc Golf:
I have often seen advice on putting that recommends developing a particular routine and sticking to it. I think that this is only an extension of that advice. Keep your routine the same and make sure you do it at the same speed each time.

Verdict: Promising

Second Tip:
Practice from different lies getting up and down in two shots.

My Take:
I feel like this could be developed into a good drill. It could focus on a variety of upshots and making the putts from whatever distance you have to. Has anyone posted a drill on here like this?

Verdict: As good as the collective DGR wisdom can come up with.

I know a few people on here have mentioned reading books about ball golf. Does anyone have anything that was particularly helpful to them that transferred well to disc golf? Is anyone going to start using a metronome to practice putting? (I think I might 8) )

As a bonus, here is a free site with a metronome:

http://www.metronomeonline.com/

read zen golf last summer
aside from the obvious mental aspects, there was a great nugget about putting

when you have a putt outside of your comfort zone (regardless of stance, elevation, etc), the common tendency is to try to putt with more force in order to make the disc travel the extra distance.

what the book suggested was using the SAME amount of power, but increasing the LENGTH of the putting stroke. For ball golf this meant a longer back swing and then a longer follow through after striking the ball.

for disc golf, I applied the longer back swing which definitely helped. a deeper drop in the knees, a longer arm drop before the pitch upwards. the follow-through was tricky ... as too much can give a nose up tendency. so a bit of wrist flick to impart a little bit extra spin seemed to work better, then a normal follow through.

that's a really cool idea singing a tune while putting, I'm a really avid musician and am definitely going to have to try that out next time I play. I'll bet it would help a lot

Latest posts