• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putting %

no, i'm starting at 3:00 -- maybe cocking back puts the grip at ~2:30 -- and releasing around 5:00. closer to 6:00 if i'm trying for nose-down (typically for downhill putts).

you can screw around with stuff, even starting at an extreme point like 12 o'clock.

it doesn't take too many putts to see why 12 o'clock is too high but it does increase power potential. finding the point where you get the best power potential and consistency combination is ideal.

Blake_T said:
another common thing that people do is start with the putter out, pull back and rebound forwards. this can f things up royally, which is why i generally teach people to start at a fixed point at their body (mine is with the disc like 1/2" away from my belt) and move forwards from there. this avoids any kind of inconsistent wrist bouncing that can skew putts.

QFT.

I tried this today thinking maybe I'll get a bit more consistency or something, but holy Toledo! I normally start out away from the body pull in and then let it rebound, but I"m only pulling into about 8 inches from body and still doing a short arm putt. Basically right were my pecs are is where I'd pull it into. I switched to the 1/2" away from belt setup and I added about 20 feet to my putting distance. For a while there I was putting my putter over the basket at 20' or so.

noah said:
Blake_T said:
another common thing that people do is start with the putter out, pull back and rebound forwards. this can f things up royally, which is why i generally teach people to start at a fixed point at their body (mine is with the disc like 1/2" away from my belt) and move forwards from there. this avoids any kind of inconsistent wrist bouncing that can skew putts.

QFT.

I tried this today thinking maybe I'll get a bit more consistency or something, but holy Toledo! I normally start out away from the body pull in and then let it rebound, but I"m only pulling into about 8 inches from body and still doing a short arm putt. Basically right were my pecs are is where I'd pull it into. I switched to the 1/2" away from belt setup and I added about 20 feet to my putting distance. For a while there I was putting my putter over the basket at 20' or so.
I tried this today. Normally I use staggered stance, and the rebound technique. I tried to start from a solid point without the rebound, and the result was about 50% off the normal oomph. I'm trying this again in a few hours, but the results aren't that outstanding so far... Normally I can make a run without walking/jumping from about 45'. It does take a quite high route, but I can still hit metal quite often.

tumpsi said:
noah said:
Blake_T said:

QFT.

I tried this today. Normally I use staggered stance, and the rebound technique. I tried to start from a solid point without the rebound, and the result was about 50% off the normal oomph. I'm trying this again in a few hours, but the results aren't that outstanding so far... Normally I can make a run without walking/jumping from about 45'. It does take a quite high route, but I can still hit metal quite often.

I think my gains were from pulling closer from the body, not from eliminating the rebound. How far away from your body are you when you start throwing?

you shouldn't really gain or lose from switching to a stationary start point.
most people lose a little out of the gate but it levels off as they build consistency. distance loss should be in the realm of 10-20%, anything greater than that and you haven't duplicated your release using both styles.

really the idea is that if you start at a fixed point with a fixed orientation you will have a more consistent release than if you allow variable orientation due to rebound (which doesn't have a consistent "back" point). it's not a power booster, just a means of increasing consistency.

noah said:
tumpsi said:
noah said:
Blake_T said:

QFT.

I think my gains were from pulling closer from the body, not from eliminating the rebound. How far away from your body are you when you start throwing?
about ½".

Blake_T said:
you shouldn't really gain or lose from switching to a stationary start point.
most people lose a little out of the gate but it levels off as they build consistency. distance loss should be in the realm of 10-20%, anything greater than that and you haven't duplicated your release using both styles.

really the idea is that if you start at a fixed point with a fixed orientation you will have a more consistent release than if you allow variable orientation due to rebound (which doesn't have a consistent "back" point). it's not a power booster, just a means of increasing consistency.
Yeah, I'll try this again tomorrow.

That's the difference is that when I'm starting 8" out I might only have 2-3" of acceleration. I more than doubled that by switching to moving my hand further back and closer to my waist.

The consistency will come too, but for me I didn't just change a routine, I changed my form. It sounds like you're just changing your routine, which might have added benefits, but not like the ones I noticed.

The rebound thing makes a lot of sense. I have started the disc out and pulled back to putt since I can remember creating my own routine. I will play with it and see the difference. I don't see much of a loss of distance if everything but the rebound stays the same.

One question: Do you (general question to all) change your grip for putts outside of 35ft or does it stay the same?

Jordan

j_mardis said:
One question: Do you (general question to all) change your grip for putts outside of 35ft or does it stay the same?
I use the very same grip with every putt.

grip pressure should vary based upon length (just as you will grip tighter on longer throws than shorter throws). some people change up grip, but imo, yer best off having 1 grip you use on any putt.