• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Axiom] Pyro

Blobfish

Double Eagle Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
Everything's Better with Pyro

I tried looking for a dedicated Pyro thread, but I mostly found stuff in the "disappointing discs" thread and that made me sad. :(

I think the pyro is a really cool disc. I have a prism proton pyro that I'm still getting used to, but I like a lot.

A little backstory: I like the buzzz and so the buzzz OS was a perfect complement. I had a seasoned z-buzzz OS that was the perfect amount of extra stability, but I lost it. I couldn't buy a new buzzz OS due to lack of inventory, my beat Verdict wasn't OS enough and my Deflector was wayyyy too beefcake. And it didn't help that shortly thereafter, I also lost my zflx zone. So I bought a new disc. I tried the Pyro.

I'm still trying to break it in. But some things I've noticed:

The pyro likes power...arguably more power than I can give it. I don't use OS mids frequently, but when I do, it's kind of for a very specific shot or two and the reliability of the shot execution is critical.

The pyro pulls a capable double duty for me. I use it where I would have used a zone before. I can't quite get the distance I used to get with my buzzz OS with the pyro on a backhand yet, but I'm hoping that will change as it breaks in. But I think I like it best with flicks. It fits very comfortably in my hand for a sidearm shot and I think the stability of the disc masks some of my form flaws and lets me throw better.

Finally... everything's better with pyro. Just ask the folks from Bizaardvark:

Last edited:
I dig the Pyro! Great flick disc and it pans out of a steep anny pretty well. It also is pretty good for just a hard straight to fade backhand.

My one Pyro outing didn't go well. I found the thing super glideless and dumpy. It didn't cover any distance, and was very overstable.

I bag a Malta right now that easily outflew the Pyro.

Pyro had a weird hand feel too.

I have a Prism Pryo and I like it as more of an overstable approach disc than as a real thrower. I have a Verdict I throw for longer overstable-ish type of shots. The Pyro feels great to me and has the flat top I'm looking for in discs I like to forehand. I think it's a really overlooked mold.

I got an ace flicking a pyro this past weekend. I still predominantly use it where I would have used a zone (if I still had one). Short (200' or so) flex flicks are super easy and reliable with this disc. Headwind/tailwind/crosswind... it doesn't matter to the pyro.

The prism proton pyro is the best forehand midrange I have used so far. All os mids are low speed overstable but tend to be high speed understable (to where I would need to hyzerflip them) or crazy overstable (usually the approach discs). A beat in bt harp was what I had settled on due to how straight it was, but I really wanted something a little more comfortable and longer flight. The pyro is it. It is not high speed understable (it seems to be losing a little high speed stability as it beats in) and it is not high speed overstable. It flies like a longer beat in harp out of the box.

I use the zone and a beat electron envy for shorter forehand approaches. Due to how the pyro is longer than an approach disc I dont think the pyro is great for that slot. It is pretty touchy to power down but perfect for longer throws.

The prism proton pyro is the best forehand midrange I have used so far. All os mids are low speed overstable but tend to be high speed understable (to where I would need to hyzerflip them) or crazy overstable (usually the approach discs). A beat in bt harp was what I had settled on due to how straight it was, but I really wanted something a little more comfortable and longer flight. The pyro is it. It is not high speed understable (it seems to be losing a little high speed stability as it beats in) and it is not high speed overstable. It flies like a longer beat in harp out of the box.

I use the zone and a beat electron envy for shorter forehand approaches. Due to how the pyro is longer than an approach disc I dont think the pyro is great for that slot. It is pretty touchy to power down but perfect for longer throws.

Same here, love this particular disc.

Out of the bag right now tho. I haven't been throwing lines that need the OS mid and find coverage from Stego and Draco for OS flex lines.

Gotcha. It is the opposite for me where I dont really throw any fh flex lines. I only throw straight fh lines for some wooded holes. There were some holes where I used to have to put too much power on the harp and risk turning it over. No I get to comfortably throw the pyro dead straight and get there.

As someone who has a trash forehand, i love the pyro. It's growing to be one of my favorite mids. It's not beefy overstable so with a good rip it flies straight and drifts left slowly until the speed drops then it dumps. I have an F1 (speed 7) and A2 (speed 4) in my bag which bracket the overstable mid spot and make it not necessary. But the pyro, at least for me, is fairly workable and I really like it.

The Pyro is my favorite overstable mid to forehand. I think the rim and flat top feel great in the hand. You can get some straight flight out of it but it always hooks up and has enough stability to fight out of an anhyzer. Proton is a little straighter than Neutron or Plasma but all have a good amount of over stability.

I am really surprised at the lack of discussion on this disc. I suppose much of it is on the main MVP thread.

The Pyro is an amazing mid range, probably my favorite mid range disc.

It's right in the sweet spot I like: long for a mid, straight most of the flight even with wind, predictable fade.

And of course that Proton Prism plastic.

I am really surprised at the lack of discussion on this disc. I suppose much of it is on the main MVP thread.

The Pyro is an amazing mid range, probably my favorite mid range disc.

It's right in the sweet spot I like: long for a mid, straight most of the flight even with wind, predictable fade.

And of course that Proton Prism plastic.

Get out of my head! I was just thinking about the very same thing.
I go back & forth betwixt the Pyro and the Runway, but mostly the Pyro.

I agree, the pyro is very underrated. I like the deflector also, both great FH discs but the pyro is quite a bit longer and a lot more workable.

For your viewing pleasure, pearly blue plate with blue sparkle rim…

Attachments

• 3AEE79F6-4139-4147-8861-A469E0AB60B3.jpg
    3AEE79F6-4139-4147-8861-A469E0AB60B3.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 44
I keep flip/flopping between Pyro/Buzzz/Uplink and Reactor/Hex/Uplink. I need to get another Pyro eventually as mine is pearly green with a bright green rim and can make it hard to find during the summer in the woods.

I agree, the pyro is very underrated. I like the deflector also, both great FH discs but the pyro is quite a bit longer and a lot more workable.

For your viewing pleasure, pearly blue plate with blue sparkle rim…

Nice!
When the Deflector first arrived on the scene, I was happy to try it out.
Sadly, it is too OS for my needs. But I still keep a couple around, just in case the winds are a-gusting over 35 mph.

I tried the Deflector as well, too much for me.

The Pyro is in the sweet spot for me.

I threw it a lot today on a very windy 9

Anyone else compare this to a Verdict and/or Eclipse Reactor?

It's beefier than the Eclipse Reactor I have as well and the Cosmic Neutron I've been borrowing(need to get that back to mas!) but both the Proton and Prism Plasma I have are more workable than a Deflector.

I could almost go all Pyro in the midrange slots if they had one that was more OS.

It's beefier than the Eclipse Reactor I have as well and the Cosmic Neutron I've been borrowing(need to get that back to mas!) but both the Proton and Prism Plasma I have are more workable than a Deflector.

I could almost go all Pyro in the midrange slots if they had one that was more OS.

No worries. We'll connect soon. In the meantime, my hip's gone weird and my footwork straight to sh*t. Aging. I may need go give the Pyro another go, but the Reactor does feel like a pretty perfect mid. Agreed that the Deflector is a *very* specific disc for a forehand dump or exaggerated S. Not much else doing.

Bump!

Can someone please post a good profile picture for me? I'm struggling to bond with the Wasp/Ghost/premium Roc crew and was thinking maybe this was similar...can anyone compare those mentioned to a Pyro? EDIT: I used to like the Sentinel FWIW

Thanks in advance.