• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Question on over-stable discs.

Nurave92

I just bought a Neutron Resistor not long ago.

I've never really been one to throw over-stable discs. What's the best way to throw these?

Just go with the good ole "hisey-flip"?

An overstable disc like a Resistor is going to be difficult, if not impossible to hyzer flip.

There's no right or wrong way to throw any disc, it just depends on the desired flight path. You can throw that disc on an anhyzer for a "S" curved flight, or straight and it will fade hard at the end, or on a hyzer angle for steeper diving shots.

Welcome to the forum, too!

The Resistor is a favorite of MVP throwers for its very preditcable overstability, so you've chosen a great disc for the role.

throw them into the wind. Or flex them. Or just throw them hard and straight when you absolutely cannot afford the disc to turn over.

Overstable discs won't flip up from hyzer. They can be thrown in various ways effectively. They're very consistent flyers. They excel at hyzers (especially spike hyzers), although they don't get the distance that understable discs get. They're also good at flex shots and some types of rollers.

Really, the only shots I don't like overstable discs for is the hyzer flip and straight finishing shots.

It just seems whenever I throw an overstable disc, it just hyzers pretty hard, only about 1 out of 10 times I throw one I can make it go straight, it's a little frustrating haha.

Don't expect it to go as far as understable, but use it when you have to go left around something...or sometimes more importantly, when you can't go right because of OB. Force yourself to use it more and more, and you will start to like it (OS discs in general). Also they are good for FH shots because of the added consistency, and they will go right pretty easily to give you another type of shot (different flight path from backhand turnover or anhyzer).

What you sacrifice sometimes in glide and the extra distance, you gain in trust and ranging your shots. They may not be quite as fun to throw in open fields, but the more you use OS discs on the course the more you will see how useful they can be.

Edit: How far can you throw your different discs?

It just seems whenever I throw an overstable disc, it just hyzers pretty hard, only about 1 out of 10 times I throw one I can make it go straight, it's a little frustrating haha.

Overstable discs (especially REALLY OS ones) will want to start fading as soon as they leave your hand. And if you can't throw very far, it's tough to get them to go straight. But that's ok. They can still fill a valuable role in your bag, because there are shots that must fade hard, no matter what.

Yeah OS discs are not really made to fly "straight" -- by design they are trying to get to the ground early in the flight and have less glide. If you want any kind of distance from an OS disc at a lower power you will need to release it with anhyzer and throw a flex shot (also called a helix)

Most OS discs have a 0 High Speed Stability and a 3 or greater Low Speed Stability "rating" which means they do not turn regardless of headwind or speed thrown and still exhibit a strong fade at the end of the flight across all power levels and conditions. You will find some discs which still have the stronger fade but less high speed stability (natural turn) and those should be easier for you to throw on different lines and for more distance.

Spike hyzers and flex shots are awesome. They're easy to "range" with and super predictable.

Either throw it high with a hyzer for a big arcing shot (spike hyzer) or throw it with an anhyzer off to the right (assuming RHBH) for a flex shot.

Don't expect it to go as far as understable, but use it when you have to go left around something...or sometimes more importantly, when you can't go right because of OB. Force yourself to use it more and more, and you will start to like it (OS discs in general). Also they are good for FH shots because of the added consistency, and they will go right pretty easily to give you another type of shot (different flight path from backhand turnover or anhyzer).

What you sacrifice sometimes in glide and the extra distance, you gain in trust and ranging your shots. They may not be quite as fun to throw in open fields, but the more you use OS discs on the course the more you will see how useful they can be.

Edit: How far can you throw your different discs?

On average I'd say 250ish FT, if I really try, I can bomb things pretty far like 350ish.

There's a very big difference between 250' and 350' in a disc golf throw...one is likely strong armed and the other has a lot more things going for it...potentially a bit of wrist involvement and better timing. I'm not trying to judge your distances, but it's just that there is a significant difference between how an OS disc will act for a 250' thrower vs. a 350' thrower (I can see an ~30' gain on field throws/good throws, but 100' is a ton in disc golf).

If you are normally in that 250-300' range then I would expect the disc to be quite OS for you and find the ground fast. Don't be too discouraged if it isn't going straight. Use it for the shots on the course that it's useful for, and keep throwing it in the field...but don't "try" to force it to go straight too badly. It will lead you into potentially torquing the disc or doing some pretty extreme flex shot angles just to try to correct it. As your power level increases it will have more and more uses, just grow into them with the disc.

Last edited:
Spike hyzers and flex shots are awesome. They're easy to "range" with and super predictable.

Either throw it high with a hyzer for a big arcing shot (spike hyzer) or throw it with an anhyzer off to the right (assuming RHBH) for a flex shot.

Agree on spike hyzers as far as ranging but a flex shot is the hardest one for me to know how far it is going. Sometimes it catches the wind, sometimes not. Just curious, with your skill set, what is the hardest type of shot to range?

My advice is to throw OS discs on a low line, pick a point on the ground 300 ft. straight out and aim the disc straight at it, release flat or with a little anhyzer. Also, try thumbers, throw'em like a baseball with your thumb locked on the inside rim of the disc. Flicks too.

You can throw just about any line you want with an overstable disc, just not a hyzer flip. Big high hyzers, low flat shots that fade hard and skip, any flexs, thumbers, tomahawks, every kind of sidearm.

Understand that all overstable discs will not go as far as less stable discs in the same speed class. That's a big part of the purpose of OS discs. Less glide = less distance, but more predictability.

Even though they're "high speed discs", I LOVE OS discs for really short, dogleg shots. There's this one course about an hour away, Brandy Lake Park in Woodruff WI, that has almost nothing but high 100's - mid 200 ft shots, and there's LOTS of dogleg left and rights. I pull out my Discraft Force, and get a nice snap to where the fairway turns, and the disc does the rest for me, just hooking hard and almost always landing by the basket.

So if you have a long 350' straight narrow fairway, a highly OS disc is definitely not the choice to make, no hyzer flips coming here.

I just finished a round at the local short course (Blendon Woods) playing with just a VIP Harp. One of my best rounds ever! As others have said, flex shots and spike hyzers are great, but I also found I was in trouble a lot less than when I drive with a driver. I highly recommend a round with just and OS disc.

Agree on spike hyzers as far as ranging but a flex shot is the hardest one for me to know how far it is going. Sometimes it catches the wind, sometimes not. Just curious, with your skill set, what is the hardest type of shot to range?
I use a Spirit for the types of flex shots I'm talking about. If you use more of a distance driver then you get a distance line, which to be fair is a flex shot, and will act like you describe. I was referring to shorter shots using very overstable discs. They don't really glide a lot when on the anhyzer angle, they just spend the whole flight fighting back to fade so you can control how far they go by how much anhyzer you put on it.

Distance lines are the hardest to range for me. Anything meant to stay turned over for a long time will get touchy.

I use a Spirit for the types of flex shots I'm talking about. If you use more of a distance driver then you get a distance line, which to be fair is a flex shot, and will act like you describe. I was referring to shorter shots using very overstable discs. They don't really glide a lot when on the anhyzer angle, they just spend the whole flight fighting back to fade so you can control how far they go by how much anhyzer you put on it.

Distance lines are the hardest to range for me. Anything meant to stay turned over for a long time will get touchy.

I get what you are saying now. I was thinking of a distance flex line with an overstable disc like a Destroyer. I use the little anhyzer flex shot that you describe when the disc has to land flat...when I can't use my normal hyzer approach because of an obstacle or wind or when the basket is on a steep hill.