• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Questions about Right-pec drill

MNTreekiller

Should I be dragging/kicking back my left foot before my arm begins to accelerate? It definitely feels more natural to kick back and accelerate at the same time but wanted to make sure thats not wrong? Worried that will lead to strong-arming? Also I see a large distance increase when I add a full reach-back but I see almost no extra distance from steps or x-step when starting from right pec. Should I just keep working at it? Any aha moments regarding this issue? Thanks for the help!

I think the right pec drill can be misleading. He's doing some stuff with his hips and feet that is actually driving his throw and he doesn't talk about it at all. I read in the other thread that you are throwing about 300, 330 max. Your best bet is to get some video of your throw so you can get a breakdown of what you are doing right and wrong.

If you are throwing 300' on average then there is a 99% chance that you are strong arming it. What you need to figure out is how to generate power from the ground up. Read everything on HeavyDisc about bracing. Check out Sidewinder22s videos.

I'd strongly encourage doing the "half-step" like Will Schusterick does in this video. I think it's better than doing a pure stand still because it's easier to feel weight transfer if you actually pick your foot up and then put it down again.

As much as I appreciate the beto version of the right pec drill, I think it's a nearly impossible way to get the feeling for what you do.

As much as I appreciate the beto version of the right pec drill, I think it's a nearly impossible way to get the feeling for what you do.

Yeah I have deffinetely started to integrate your version of the drill more. Helps because it feels more like my actual throw rather than a drill I'll have to incorporate into my throw. HeavyDisc has helped a ton!

Do your real reach back and get it all to flow. There's no sense getting a drill to be as good as it can, when lots of people agree that drill doesn't 100% integrate into the throw. Plus it's hard to feel for tons of people (myself included). If your throw with the reachback works better, than that's great. I feel like part of the right pec drill's purpose is to eliminate the reach back for people who strong arm from the fully straight back position. If you aren't doing that, then that's great.

Weight transfer is a big thing, and timing that with a full reach back/normal throwing motions is easier I think.

Exactly. The whole point of the drill was to help get the feel of the hit. Since then several other, much better, drills have been developed so the right pec drill is mostly obsolete. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

If you really want to get it right, I found that it was easiest to learn to throw from the right pec after you've developed a one step throw. Rocking back before you throw might help as well. If you use some other drill to get the feel of the hit that will likely help quite a bit as well.

In my eyes, Blake made up the right-pec drill to completely isolate out all the parts that screw people up from even finding the "hit" and was trying to get to the meat and potatos of the throw. So, with that in mind, you shouldn't be worrying about your hips, reachback, spinning, kicking, turning, weightshift, etc... Because those are all the things that people screw up which makes an actual "hit" impossible to achieve. You're supposed to add all that stuff back in (one at a time) after you've got the meat and potato's figured out.

I don't think it's really written anywhere, and that's what messes a lot of people up with it -- including myself. Since there's no official "rules" of the right-pec drill, people just feel like they're handicapped, and try to get power from all the other sources (weight shift, hips, reachback, etc...) which defeats the entire purpose of the drill.

I personally like brad walker's closed shoulder drill because, while it's very similar to the right pec drill, it's very clear on how isolated you're trying to make things, giving you a better chance at success!

In my eyes, Blake made up the right-pec drill to completely isolate out all the parts that screw people up from even finding the "hit" and was trying to get to the meat and potatos of the throw. So, with that in mind, you shouldn't be worrying about your hips, reachback, spinning, kicking, turning, weightshift, etc... Because those are all the things that people screw up which makes an actual "hit" impossible to achieve. You're supposed to add all that stuff back in (one at a time) after you've got the meat and potato's figured out.

I don't think it's really written anywhere, and that's what messes a lot of people up with it -- including myself. Since there's no official "rules" of the right-pec drill, people just feel like they're handicapped, and try to get power from all the other sources (weight shift, hips, reachback, etc...) which defeats the entire purpose of the drill.

I personally like brad walker's closed shoulder drill because, while it's very similar to the right pec drill, it's very clear on how isolated you're trying to make things, giving you a better chance at success!

:clap: This, this a million times this. The idea of the hit back is brilliant - Dan Beto's video of it is, well, IMO not so much (although I know it has helped loads of people over the years I really struggled with it, I was trying to be way too literal with it and didn't realise for a long time that the actual idea is to do exactly what Horsethief describes rather than copy Dan)the idea of finding the Hit, and then adding and keep adding to the hit one bit at a time is solid. In that respect the Hit backwards idea is a brilliantly simple way of learning the drive. Trying to do what Dan Beto does isn't. Brad Walkers closed shoulder Snap drill on the other hand is superb and has worked with everyone I have seen try it properly. I wish Brad would come back out of retirement like he promised to do last year and make a few more videos.

The right pec drill opened my eyes that you didn't need to pull the disc from the reach back as hard as you could to get distance. That there was a lot smarter way to approach it. For me, I wasn't able to feel the hit until I learned more about developing the form and getting the momentum. Then it was seeing Bradley's snap drill for the thousandth time and trying it again that I finally noticed the feel of the hit. Now I can finally start finishing the form from the hit backwards.

:clap: This, this a million times this. The idea of the hit back is brilliant - Dan Beto's video of it is, well, IMO not so much (although I know it has helped loads of people over the years I really struggled with it, I was trying to be way too literal with it and didn't realise for a long time that the actual idea is to do exactly what Horsethief describes rather than copy Dan)the idea of finding the Hit, and then adding and keep adding to the hit one bit at a time is solid. In that respect the Hit backwards idea is a brilliantly simple way of learning the drive. Trying to do what Dan Beto does isn't. Brad Walkers closed shoulder Snap drill on the other hand is superb and has worked with everyone I have seen try it properly. I wish Brad would come back out of retirement like he promised to do last year and make a few more videos.

would you recommend working on the beto drill if you are having trouble finding the power pocket

I came across these videos a couple of days ago and he does a real good job explaining the concept of "from the hit backwards." When he talks about impact think of "the hit".

In the first video start about at the 2:58 mark to get an idea of what he's trying to teach in the second video. There is a lot of overlap with the Shawn Clements video about the finish position.

The Beto drill is hard to get any kind of feeling. However, with a SLOW Closed Shoulder Drill you can start to feel where the hit should be.

I came across these videos a couple of days ago and he does a real good job explaining the concept of "from the hit backwards." When he talks about impact think of "the hit".

In the first video start about at the 2:58 mark to get an idea of what he's trying to teach in the second video. There is a lot of overlap with the Shawn Clements video about the finish position.

The Beto drill is hard to get any kind of feeling. However, with a SLOW Closed Shoulder Drill you can start to feel where the hit should be.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlyD1ynQrh4#t=3m26s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nu4CzVnITlo#t=5m56s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-KVWfUkQ3s#t=3m13s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXEDCjjd5_I#t=2m52s

would you recommend working on the beto drill if you are having trouble finding the power pocket
The issue is your release/hit/impact position if you don't know where your power pocket is or how to generate power. The "power pocket" is basically just the lower arm/disc folded in toward your center back away from the hit. The shoulder or elbow also doesn't need to bend much, just a slight bend is capable of springing the wrist.
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137392

For me, this drill only made sense retrospectively. Sidewinder's drills, particularly the dingle arm concept, and HUB's 'throw a heavy object' videos got me to the point where I understood the right pec drill.

For some reason, just watching the Beto video early on and trying it just lead to extreme strong-arming of the drill.

Latest posts