• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Questions on footwear

I use a pair of New Balance 513 for dry weather, and they have good traction and great ankle support. For bad weather, I use a pair of Dr Scholl's boots that have great wet traction and built in gel soles. They are also waterproof to just above the ankle so it helps walking across creeks and drainage areas.

I need the outside wall of the shoes to be very stiff so I don't roll my ankle, and I need it to be comfortable while wearing my brace. Those are the only shoes I've found that work for my situation so I stick to them.

I switched from New Balance to low top NIke trail runners last year and they are real light and comfortable. Plus, some child in a third world country gets to earn .67 a day while making them. :D

Salomon XT Wings From what I been reading will be the best next shoes for DG. In My opinion.

Mr.SmOOOth said:
I switched from New Balance to low top NIke trail runners last year and they are real light and comfortable. Plus, some child in a third world country gets to earn .67 a day while making them. :D

We actually have a speaker coming to our school who was a soccer player for a National Champion Collegiate team and Nike offered to sponsor them and he didn't want to have Nike as a sponsor so they kicked him off the team and now he goes around exposing Nike. They actually get 23 cents an hour.

rusch_bag said:
Mr.SmOOOth said:

We actually have a speaker coming to our school who was a soccer player for a National Champion Collegiate team and Nike offered to sponsor them and he didn't want to have Nike as a sponsor so they kicked him off the team and now he goes around exposing Nike. They actually get 23 cents an hour.

That sucks! I used to avoid Nike, but I saw these Air Max Assails at an outlet store and bought them. I need a low-top because I don't like anything covering my ankles and I have been leaning towards non leather shoes lately. The price was too good to pass up.

If you buy Salomon shoes at REI you can take them back every 11 months and get a brand new pair under warranty. They are covered for one year and I have had 1 pair replaced 4 times. I have never met a pair or shoes that lasts me 12 months. They always honor there warranty. This is one reason people think they are gold.

rusch_bag said:
Mr.SmOOOth said:

I think you need to ask yourselves; what the kids would do if they didn't make the Nikes. It's sounds pretty damn brutal, but things could be a lot worse.

PS. I don't wear Nikes, and hopefully not anything made by kids.

Micah said:
If you buy Salomon shoes at REI you can take them back every 11 months and get a brand new pair under warranty. They are covered for one year and I have had 1 pair replaced 4 times. I have never met a pair or shoes that lasts me 12 months. They always honor there warranty. This is one reason people think they are gold.
You can do that with pretty much anything you buy at REI. But then you have to ask yourself if that's ethical.

They get reimbursed by the manufacturer for shoes replaced under warranty. If they give you a year warranty on the shoe and it doesn't last a year, I see no reason why that would be unethical. I've only had 2 pairs of shoes that have lasted over a year in my life, my last pair of new balance 513 and my old doc martens back in high school.

Warranty's don't apply to normal wear and tear for most consumer products, but have it any way you like it.

It does on Solomans that is the beauty of their warranty and the reason I have worn them in the past.

I just got a call from North Face today. I sent an 8 month old pair of Hedgehog XCRs to their warranty dept because the uppers had some stitching coming loose. They are sending a new pair of the brand new replacement model. Sweet!

OK I'm kind of a shoe noob. Here's what I've discovered so far....

Disc Golf is TOUGH on shoes. I forked over over $100 for a pair of North Face Arnuva Trail Shoes with BOA lacing. Love the lacing, but my shoes have only lasted about a month on conrete tees and already the soles are starting to seperate. Some of the cosmetic pieces are falling off, and the soles near big toe are getting shredded.

I really need to know what kinda shoes I can buy if money is no object. I would love something super durable, nicely vented, good arch support, and did I mention durable? I don't really want to buy another pair of shoes in a month or two.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

disctribution said:
O
Disc Golf is TOUGH on shoes. I forked over over $100 for a pair of North Face Arnuva Trail Shoes with BOA lacing. Love the lacing, but my shoes have only lasted about a month on conrete tees and already the soles are starting to seperate. Some of the cosmetic pieces are falling off, and the soles near big toe are getting shredded.

dude, get in touch with North Face about that... those shoes sound defective to me.

Salomon has a new pair of shoes out called the xt wings that are supposed to be for both trail and road running. Not sure if I'll pick them up (it took me 6 months to wear holes near the ball of my foot on the left and right shoe), but I'm going to look at some later this week.

Shoe fit is such a personal thing, personally I like a tight fit, and a shoe that will take the torque, so I stick with high end Tennis Shoes. Adidas used to make a grass court shoe that was the best, but with the end of production I switched to the Barricade V, a little pricey, but worth every penny. Tennis wearhouse has the best base price. As to returning at 11 months and ethics, again, it's a personal call.