• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Questions on footwear

Shaolintrained said:
Has anyone used both Goretex Salomons AND upper-end Merrells? Which do you prefer and why? I am on my second pair of Salomons and I really like them, but I go through shoes pretty quick and was wondering if Merrells were worth a try.

I have both. I find the Salomons are a bit more comfortable (I have both the gortex and none) but the Merrells are more durable. I like them both. I didn't get the Cameleon Stretch, just the regular Cameleons. The Stretch is supposed to be less rigid and more comfortable. I may have to try them the next time I need another pair.

merrell cham stretch IIs are the way to go.
played in mine 4-5 times a week over the past year and they are in great condition.
the drawstring laces are very nice.
overall a very comfortable shoe with great traction.
definately worth the buck.

Here's a review on the Merrell Chameleon Stretch II's. I wear a size 14 and am about 6'3 and 285lbs.

Well its a little early for a real in depth review but I'll post a first impression review:

I first opened the box and was impressed with how they looked. cool!

I loosened the laces and tried to slip my foot in..........huh? Are these too small? Checked the size......it's right. Looked for the directions so I could figure out how to put them on. Finally I just pulled them on but it took A LOT of force. Once i got them on they fit like a glove. They need a little 'break in' but they're decent.

Now I'm a big boy, so good shoes are critical. I played two rounds and feet were fine all day. The Merrells definately are not as ventilated as my North Face trail shoes were, but it was 100 degrees today so I'm not going to judge them yet. The most impressive feature of the shoes was the durability. 2 rounds on concrete tees with plenty of side-arm toe-dragging and not even a scratch on the vibram soles. Absolutely no sign of sole separation, which was already apparent on my North Face shoes at this point. In fact, I've already received a refund for them.

Overall I'm happy with cham stretch II's so far, but I will write more as time goes by. I'll probably also buy a pair of Salomon Pro 3D's and write a review on them too.

I am about the same size as disctibution and I have both the Merrell Stretch and 3D Pros in size 14. I got the Merrells in July or August of 06 and I got the Salomons in January of this year.

Merrells:
Super comfortable and durrable. Sole is syill in great condition. The toe one one of them is just starting to peel a little bit and some of the seems in the leather at the bottom of the shoe are starting to come undone. The biggest this on why I got a new pair of shoes is that the inside heels on both have completely fallen apart and all the padding is gone. I think that is from how you have to put the shoe on and off. Still comfortable and I still rotate them with my Salomons. Would buy another pair in a heartbeat. I've never had a pair of DG shoes last this long.

Salomons:
These are nice. most ventilated goretex shoe I've ever had. Very comfortable. These aren't as narrow as I thought they were going to be. I have wide feet. They are fine on me. I like the lacing system. The downside is after about a week or so, a couple places on the soles started to come unglued. I have sinced shoe gooed them and have had no more problems. I just don't think I should of had to do that considering this is the most money I've ever threw down on kicks. I would recommend these to anyone.

The inside heels of my Merrells shot craps on me inside of six months. It's too bad, cause they were super comfortable.

mothrows said:
The inside heels of my Merrells shot craps on me inside of six months. It's too bad, cause they were super comfortable.
I had that issue, too. I have trouble with the heels of my shoes slipping so I attribute it to a bad fit. I have narrow feet and the Merrells I've had have all run wide. I agree that they were exceptional up to that point, though.

Any of you righties ever wear a hole in the sole of your left shoe near the big toe? I thought I was doing it because I was dragging my left foot, but after practicing pivoting wearing just socks in my house, I think it is happening when I push off.

Think it's cause I have effed up form or, is this common?

I'm gonna have to start rubber cementing tire tread onto my shoe, can't keep going through so many pairs.

dgdave said:
Salomons:
These are nice. most ventilated goretex shoe I've ever had. Very comfortable. These aren't as narrow as I thought they were going to be. I have wide feet. They are fine on me. I like the lacing system. The downside is after about a week or so, a couple places on the soles started to come unglued. I have sinced shoe gooed them and have had no more problems. I just don't think I should of had to do that considering this is the most money I've ever threw down on kicks. I would recommend these to anyone.

That's exactly what happened to my first pair. I was lucky enough to have bought them at REI and within a year of the purchase you can return them for a brand new pair. No questions asked.

I ordered yesterday a pair of black/asphalt Salomon XA Pro 3D XCR's. Can't wait to play with 'em.

Zappos.com is taking my Salomons back (which I wore out in 9 months of playing). Getting a pair of the new Salomon XT Wings later this week, when my size gets in at my local Salomon dealer.

What was going on with your salomons? I still have the original box and possibly the recipit somewhere. Was it easy to return them?

I just want to make for sure, so if there is a big blow out, I don't want to feel like I wasted 130 bucks.

Actually, Zappos.com was hesitant about taking them back. Salomon said they would, but Zappos.com said they normally don't take anything back from "normal wear and tear." My real problem is that I think I bought half a size too big, and the laces pulled too tightly on the sides of the toe. That's where my fabric is ripping. I'm getting the next size down (try finding a 7 in mens, folks). I tried on the comparable ladies size, and they fit much much better.

My Salomons started to rip a little, so I contacted the store I bought them from. They said as they were 6 months old, they wouldn't replace them, as 6 months is generally considered the life of a pair of sports shoes. They did say that I could send them to Salomon, and that they would PROBABLY replace them. I decided just to forget about it, as the small tear is only comsmetic, and doesn't affect performance. I'm really happy with my shoes, and will probably buy Salomon again since these are so comfy. I'm a little disappointed with how quickly they started to show wear, but it's a lot better than when I had to buy training shoes every 6 weeks at 100 bucks a pop (in 80s money) :D

Got me some new shoes last night. Everywhere I looked at Merrels/salomens was out of stock in my size so I went with a pair of Hi-Tecs that were on sale for 30. I might go back and buy me another pair since they were so cheap. They are just as comfortabe as any of the merrels/salomens but they are just a tad bit lighter in weight. I will be playing in a one day tourney tomorrow and well see how the react on the course. I have been playing in my skate shoes lately and they have been getting uncomfortable after the first 9 holes

http://www.hi-tec.com/category.php?styleId=8369&colourId=24323

Merrell Chameleon stretch II's are amazing! Going through my first year with them and they're holding up awesome. Mainly concrete tees, and the soles show little wear, plus they're the most comfortable shoes I've ever worn.

They are a bit warm, so I'll still play in my Adidas superstars (another great DG shoe for cement pads) on hotter days.

pd

jtkustomizer said:
Got me some new shoes last night. Everywhere I looked at Merrels/salomens was out of stock in my size so I went with a pair of Hi-Tecs that were on sale for 30. I might go back and buy me another pair since they were so cheap. They are just as comfortabe as any of the merrels/salomens but they are just a tad bit lighter in weight. I will be playing in a one day tourney tomorrow and well see how the react on the course. I have been playing in my skate shoes lately and they have been getting uncomfortable after the first 9 holes

Can you order those online for30 bucks? I'd give them a try.

pointdisc said:
Merrell Chameleon stretch II's are amazing! Going through my first year with them and they're holding up awesome. Mainly concrete tees, and the soles show little wear, plus they're the most comfortable shoes I've ever worn.

They are a bit warm, so I'll still play in my Adidas superstars (another great DG shoe for cement pads) on hotter days.

pd

I have some Chamleons but never play dg in them. They are quite heavy compared to other shoes. I guess I like to be light on my feet...

8521-521147-p.jpg

Just picked these up; not cheap but the fit is fabulous and they are constructed for foot and ankle torque with reinforcement at the toe.

stoneman said:
jtkustomizer said:

Can you order those online for30 bucks? I'd give them a try.

I dont think sobut I could go and pick you up a pair if you tell me what size and pay for shipping.

You might try http://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai=BExFkqQE4SKaiMoTSiAHBvcnMC56r-SXS5_SpBc_CowfwhA4QAhgHIJ-LnQYoBTABOAFQyoXMy_z_____AWDJ1tCI-KOcFZABAsgBAcgCqq1f0AIB2QNSiHll5kOMV-ADEA&num=7&ggladgrp=18035126351363772181&gglcreat=2694103482430967350&sig=AGiWqtzdKliOovXJPuVCOi0ge78eL9v_6Q&q=http://tracking.searchmarketing.com/gsic.asp%3FAID%3D25782779

Thats where i bought them

Latest posts